Urgent: cancel current reservation

headhunterke

Dear all,

Earlier this week, I've booked a cruise with HAL but haven't made a payment yet. The price was €2.600 and I'm going to the bank tomorrow to raise the limit on my credit card as the standard limit is 2.500.

However, I've just checked on the HAL site and the same cruise, same class (H) is only 2.100 right now. Is it possible that I book that room of 2.100 immediately and just let the one of 2.600 expire?

Payment for the one of 2.600 has to be done before Nov, 29.

Or will there be any fees when I don't put down a payment for the one I already reserved?

The room of 2.100 is a limited offer and has to be booked and paid for in full at the time of booking. I'd rather not go through HAL customer service via e-mail as it often takes them several days to reply and I'm not really interested in OBC. Calling them is not a real option either as I live in Belgium and all the number I've found are USA numbers.

Or is it an option to just send them an e-mail and tell them to cancel the booking for the 2.600 cabin?

Thank you for any help, I really appreciated it.

As long as you haven't paid yet, you should be able to change it. I recommend talking to a travel agent, they can take care of it for you.

The reason the fare went down could be because the Explore 4 package has expired, it was a very expensive package.

Thank you for the quick replies.

So I can just go ahead and book the cheaper one and let the first one "expire"?

I would call them on Monday, and tell them you want the lower price without the Explore 4 package. You won't need to book it twice.

Check the HAL website and see if the "Chat" feature is available. If it is chat with the representative (type question). It's to the right of the Holland America Line Savor the Journey line and after the phone number. 1–877–932–4259 "Chat"

Edited by qsuzi

Those are great suggestions, but I'm not calling a USA number as I live in Europe. That's far too expensive. Is there any way I can solve this online?

I've already Twittered them, but even through Twitter, it often takes a day or 2 before they react.

Using "Chat" is not a phone call. It is like a live e-mail online. Do you see the "Chat" feature?

Edited by qsuzi

I've searched throughout the website, and I haven't found it. I've tried both logged in and logged out of my account.

I copied your question and am in Chat with a representative for you now. I will give you their answer.

I copied your question and am in Chat with a representative for you now. I will give you their answer.

[Danielle] Welcome to Holland America Line. Chat service is available in English only. Please hold while we connect you to the next available agent...

[Danielle] Thank you for contacting Holland America Line. How may I help you?

[susan] Earlier this week, I've booked a cruise with HAL but haven't made a payment yet. The price was €2.600 and I'm going to the bank tomorrow to raise the limit on my credit card as the standard limit is 2.500. However, I've just checked on the HAL site and the same cruise, same class (H) is only 2.100 right now. Is it possible that I book that room of 2.100 immediately and just let the one of 2.600 expire? Payment for the one of 2.600 has to be done before Nov, 29. Or will there be any fees when I don't put down a payment for the one I already reserved? The room of 2.100 is a limited offer and has to be booked and paid for in full at the time of booking. I'd rather not go through HAL customer service via e-mail as it often takes them several days to reply and I'm not really interested in OBC. Calling them is not a real option either as I live in Belgium and all the number I've found are USA numbers. Or is it an option to just send them an e-mail and tell them to cancel the booking for the 2.600 cabin?

[susan] This is a question from a person in Belgium on Cruise Critic that can't find a Belgium phone number to call. Can you answer the question here and I will copy your answer to Cruise Critic. They are there right now.

[Danielle] Hi Susan, one moment I will take a look at your booking.

[Danielle] Can I get the booking number please?

[susan] It is the Belgium person's booking. I don't know if they want to list their booking number on Cruise Critic. Could you answer it without the specifics?

[susan] Just what needs to be done in this situation.

[Danielle] Well without looking at it I can tell you if they cancel prior to deposit/payment being due then yes they can without issue and then rebook the sailing.

She is looking for a phone number you can call in Belgium.

Edited by qsuzi

Wow, thank you so much, qsuzi. Is there a possibility you can copy paste link for the chat so I can get in touch as well?

I've noticed in the past there was an icon with a smiling lady and a headset on the site, but no matter how hard I try, I can't seem to let her appear...

Ok, for some reason, the Chat function appears on my laptop. I'll give it a try. Thank you so much for all the effort!

It is copied below see conversation from Susan and Danielle. I am waiting for phone number. Glad you found chat. The phone number for World Cruise Reservations is 1800 5223399

Edited by qsuzi

Thanks a million, qsuzi!

Danielle has cancelled the reservation, so I can book with the new price myself. I'd like to have as few persons involved as possible as I'm a little paranoid when it comes to traveling, I've seen to many mistakes by travel professionals at work I'm a little control freak now :)

Thanks a million, qsuzi!

Danielle has cancelled the reservation, so I can book with the new price myself. I'd like to have as few persons involved as possible as I'm a little paranoid when it comes to traveling, I've seen to many mistakes by travel professionals at work I'm a little control freak now :)

You are very welcome. So glad it worked for you and you got the same person I chatted with. :)

Nope - I noticed you are living in Belgium - so if you booked through the European website reservations are final and cancellations fees apply.

If you book another cruise, you have to pay for BOTH!

Read the fineprint. Call Holland America or your travel agent.

Update:

I saw you were able to resolve your problem. I just would like to tell that it was generous from HAL to cancel your reservations.

Cancellation policies are different in the US and Europe. Both have advantages and disadvantages for the customer.

In Europe cancellation fees apply immediately, while in the US you are able to cancel until final payment without any fees.

Edited by Wendy-Europe

Those are great suggestions, but I'm not calling a USA number as I live in Europe. That's far too expensive. Is there any way I can solve this online?

I've already Twittered them, but even through Twitter, it often takes a day or 2 before they react.

The European section for Holland America Cruises is in the Netherlands which is not too far from where you live :rolleyes:.

I found the following address on their website valid for Belgium with a free call number:

Holland America Line

Postbus 23378

3001 KJ Rotterdam

The Netherlands

Telefoon: 00800 1873 1873

Hope this helps!

Nope - I noticed you are living in Belgium - so if you booked through the European website reservations are final and cancellations fees apply.

If you book another cruise, you have to pay for BOTH!

Read the fineprint. Call Holland America or your travel agent.

Update:

I saw you were able to resolve your problem. I just would like to tell that it was generous from HAL to cancel your reservations.

Cancellation policies are different in the US and Europe. Both have advantages and disadvantages for the customer.

In Europe cancellation fees apply immediately, while in the US you are able to cancel until final payment without any fees.

Not quite true, Wendy!

OP had booked a cruise but had not paid for it, so I presume had used the 'Courtesy Hold' function when booking it. Nowhere does OP mention having paid a deposit.

If the deposit had been paid then you are correct, and OP would probably lose the deposit and possibly even have additional fees to pay.

The difference between Europe and North America!:eek::eek: