Reef safe sunscreen?

amydresh

What is a good, cheap reef safe sunscreen? I have searched and searched and a lot that say they are reef safe aren't actually safe. I am scared about spending so much money on sunscreen only to find out that we can't use it while snorkeling. I did find one on Amazon but it's $30 and that just seems like way too much.

Sorry, can't help with the sun screen. I have had the same problem.

Have you thought of getting rash guard T-shirts?

I have found these work much better when snorkeling. Mine is a hip length long sleeve T. I find it offers better protection than a sun block cream and lasts a whole lot longer than a tube of sunblock would.

Cheers, h.

What is a good, cheap reef safe sunscreen? I have searched and searched and a lot that say they are reef safe aren't actually safe. I am scared about spending so much money on sunscreen only to find out that we can't use it while snorkeling. I did find one on Amazon but it's $30 and that just seems like way too much.

I have a very fair complexion and wear a rash guard t-shirt...always when I am in the water and I am fully protected. They come in really nice colors and some that even match your bathing suit! Also, I buy the drugstore sunscreen...you know the kind that is 2 for 5 dollars for my face, neck, and legs. It works! I am free of sunburn and pain! Hope this info helps.

Also, I buy the drugstore sunscreen...you know the kind that is 2 for 5 dollars for my face, neck, and legs. It works! I am free of sunburn and pain! Hope this info helps.

ahh, but since the reefs are dying out, countries are requesting, if not outright mandating, only certain types of sunscreen be used while amongst the reefs. this is less about avoiding skin cancer and more about protecting the natural order of things. there are good quality sunscreens that can do both, and Mother Earth would appreciate it if you used those particular brands.

as for price, well, sometimes you just have to sigh and fork it over if you want to be in compliance.

We went snorkeling with whale sharks a few months ago when on a cruise to Mexico. The company we went with recommended buying a product from Mexitan - I bought the Tropical Sands sunscreen. It is biodegradable and all natural. I think it was $17. You can order from the Mexitan website.

It worked well - I didn't burn or really even tan much.

I use the Rodan + Fields sunscreen...they also make one for the face that I've used out boating all day and didn't get a bit of pink. I'm super fair skinned, so always looking for something good, and that's the best I've found. It retails for $26, but you can get it cheaper.

ahh, but since the reefs are dying out, countries are requesting, if not outright mandating, only certain types of sunscreen be used while amongst the reefs. this is less about avoiding skin cancer and more about protecting the natural order of things. there are good quality sunscreens that can do both, and Mother Earth would appreciate it if you used those particular brands.

as for price, well, sometimes you just have to sigh and fork it over if you want to be in compliance.

Absolutely!!! If you are just hanging out at the pool or beach, feel free to use that NoAd stuff that you buy at Walmart for $2.50. But, if you are going snorkeling, please use the "reef safe" biodegradable products. You can get away with a smaller bottle of the "good" stuff if you just use it when you need to.

I have used the Badger product in the past and was happy with it. I also always wear a rash guard that has good SPF protection built into it (not all do), so I only have to be concerned with a small portion of my body to cover.

If you think "I'm just going in for a little time with my excursion, it won't hurt anything", think again. Just looking at some of the reefs recently that I've visited 10 years ago or so, I can see immediately the damage. The amount of people all those cruise ships now disgorge is much, much more than it used to be and that is taking it's toll on the ecosystem in those nice tropical locations...