Missing Grand Turk

Platoon Leader

Over the last month the Nieuw Amsterdam has been unable to dock several times due to high winds. Has this been a problem for other lines? If this keeps occurring will HAL consider replacing this port?

Sent from my XT1650 using Forums mobile app

I've read that it's tricky getting into Grand Turk. When a channel is cut into the reef, there isn't much wiggle room if winds are affecting the ship's course. We missed a call in Bermuda on a Princess cruise a few years ago because it was too windy to get through the reef. As ships get bigger, these maneuvers get trickier.

I hope they don't replace GT as a port. I like that beach day better than HMC.

We were on the Nieuw Amsterdam in February and had no problem getting into Grand Turk.

One of the issues surrounding the recent Grand Turk cancellations could be that the fall months are during the annual hurricane season which runs through November. Perhaps, even without hurricanes, it still might be more windy than usual. But having said that, on our February cruise, we had to miss a port in Mexico due to 40knot winds. So, I guess winds can happen at any time.

When I was there the beach near the pier was quite rocky. Perhaps its been improved since then.

You have to walk about 2-3 blocks to left when leave the ship. Very close. If you just go a little ways you will find crystal blue water, white deep sand, no rocks. Not talking "Margaritaville" area. You have to walk a little, but way worth it. We found many people just stopped at the area where you exit the ship. Big mistake if you are looking for the nice beach.

Jane