Any luck with "Download Personalized eBrochure"

GeneBK

We're currently booked on two upcoming cruises.

Once logged in, I've gone to the Shore Excursion page and clicked on the link to "Download Personalized eBrochure". The little "wheel" starts spinning, but as far as I can tell nothing downloads. I believe I've done this successfully in the past, but no luck now.

Anyone successfully downloaded a Shore Excursion summary??

Thanks

I had no problem either. Takes a minute but went smoothly.

did it on google chrome and then on safari on my ipad to load into my ibooks.

I did try a day previously and went into a huge spin.

the next day, there was no problem at all.

Have this problem about half the time so I give it 2x efforts on 2 different days then send HAL an email and ask them to email it to me. Last cruise got a response that the customer service rep would do this for me but was having problems opening it herself. It showed up in my email about 2 days later. Its not just us or our software that seems to have this issue.

It is funky technology. I have need of such capabilities within the software I develop and choose instead to find some other way of satisfying those needs because of how persnickety is the available software to accomplish what they're doing.

Thanks for the responses....glad to hear it does occasionally work. So far, I still haven't caught the magic moment.

My default browser is Chrome, but I've also tried Mozilla and Edge.....no luck with any....it's like playing the lottery...I'll just keep trying....

• 2 weeks later...
Add me to the list of people who use Firefox and have never had a problem downloading the Personalized SE Brochure. Must be uncanny good luck ... or Karma!!!

Smooth sailing ...

I use Firefox. Sometimes I resort to IE or Chrome when the website is having "issues". There is no denying there are huge problems with the HAL site, and using it is hit or miss. It's sad really, as up until they revamped the system and "improved" it a couple of years ago it was one of the most user-friendly sites on the net. They just can't seem to get a handle on it.

I use Firefox. Sometimes I resort to IE or Chrome when the website is having "issues". There is no denying there are huge problems with the HAL site, and using it is hit or miss. It's sad really, as up until they revamped the system and "improved" it a couple of years ago it was one of the most user-friendly sites on the net. They just can't seem to get a handle on it.

As I said in my previous Post, it must be my uncanny good luck or Karma, as I have no problems using the HAL web site. So, unless, HAL has targeted certain customers for web site problems, the only other (& quite probable) explanation I can think of is User Error ...

Add me to the list of people who use Firefox and have never had a problem downloading the Personalized SE Brochure. Must be uncanny good luck ... or Karma!!!

Smooth sailing ...

As I said in my previous Post, it must be my uncanny good luck or Karma, as I have no problems using the HAL web site. So, unless, HAL has targeted certain customers for web site problems, the only other (& quite probable) explanation I can think of is User Error ...

You might want to be careful! Suggesting that only "user error" causes difficulty on the HAL web site is, IMHO, setting yourself up for some bad karma :eek:

There are many issues with the HAL web site. Consider yourself fortunate that you haven't experienced them. Sooner or later, it will happen to you.

If a website works one way for one user and another way for another user, there are other explanations other than user error. Besides browser differences, browser extensions and other software installed and operation on the computer can explain differences. If one of my customers cites a problem that none of my support staff have, the first thing we do is have the customer try it on another computer which has not had all the same treatment by the it department that the customer's own computers have. And when it is only a few users at a customer site, then we don't even test that as a "check"... We know that that means that it is something that was done to that user's computer that needs to be undone, not a problem with the web application.

I cringe every time I install software on a computer because that UAC that I have to accept to get the softwaree to install is basically getting me to agree to, "Let this software do things that may make other software not work."

I'm glad for you that you are not having any issues. Perhaps you are using it at times there are no major issues, and everything on your system is compatible with the HAL website. Perhaps you are trying to do only the most basic things...

HAL is having issues and they are working on fixing/building the website/system. I have had a number of problems, and features that are not working correctly, and for the more serious matters I have recently called and emailed them about it. The responses have been that they are working to fix things, and they have handled the matters so my immediate problems have been addressed. (IE: incomplete personalized itinerary, flights partially ticketed, shorex purchase not working, PG booked on a night not aboard (I did it-guilty- but the option should not have been available and is now fixed). So no, the system is "Not Quite Ready for Prime Time".

OP is asking to confirm whether others are having the same issue of not downloading a brochure that has been a long standing, viable feature of the website.

My suggestion is to drop an email to HAL when you find a feature not working. Include device and browser info with your description. Or give them a call.

If a website works one way for one user and another way for another user, there are other explanations other than user error. Besides browser differences, browser extensions and other software installed and operation on the computer can explain differences...

I cringe every time I install software on a computer because that UAC that I have to accept to get the softwaree to install is basically getting me to agree to, "Let this software do things that may make other software not work."

Excellent Post, especially regarding the possible involvement of later installed and/or conflicting software. Thanks, bUU, for weighing in in such a helpful and polite manner.

Excellent Post, especially regarding the possible involvement of later installed and/or conflicting software. Thanks, bUU, for weighing in in such a helpful and polite manner.

One has to wonder, then, why the bods at HAL keep apologising and saying they are "working on a fix".

HAL is having issues and they are working on fixing/building the website/system.
Or that's what someone is telling people, as a means of apology and making the customer feel better about the reality of the failure.

More likely, as it the reality with many similar systems, such systems are in a continual process of enhancement... fixing... enhancement... fixing... I just attended a lecture by a leader of a software development company, who shall remain nameless: He said that, in today's market, time to market (getting new features and capabilities into the website) is a "quality" itself, and therefore as important as whether the functions work. As someone who comes from a hardcore quality background this really struck me as wrong, but marketing and sales is not quality - we have different experiences. I would see it as a black-and-white situation: If the feature doesn't work for any significant number of people then the company gleans no value from having it and is likely hurt by it. However, what I learned (the hard way) from a long career in quality is that such rules of thumbs and feel-good maxims are not borne out by the data. One of the first winners of the National Quality Award went out of business soon thereafter. Quality is not business. Instead, it is an aspect of business and needs to be managed as an aspect of business rather than a sacred cow.

Marketing and sales necessarily sees these things in shades of gray. If a feature works for most people, then the benefits of being able to tout that feature as part of the sales offering and the satisfaction of that portion of the customer base for which the feature does work gets weighed up against the dissatisfaction of those for whom it doesn't work. Mix in some customer recovery ("if you haven't trouble, please call us for assistance") and it becomes a very complex calculation that, to be honest, the marketing and sales folks know how to work through better than the rest of us.

So no, the system is "Not Quite Ready for Prime Time".
And by your criteria it may never be - and that may be a deliberate decision by the company, and indeed may be the correct decision for the company. As troubling as that may seem. Edited by bUU

Perhaps you could explain how "user error" is causing me to see the dates of my winter cruise, yet the shore excursions for my summer cruise. Right now. This is happening right now. Try to not hurt yourself jumping to conclusions....

I, as the antique operator of an antique computer, downloaded my Personalized eBrochure and printed it over the weekend without problems. Thanks to OP of this thread because I had not noticed the eBrouchure was available on the website before the discussion.

You might want to be careful! Suggesting that only "user error" causes difficulty on the HAL web site is, IMHO, setting yourself up for some bad karma :eek: ...There are many issues with the HAL web site. Consider yourself fortunate that you haven't experienced them. Sooner or later, it will happen to you.
Perhaps you could explain how "user error" is causing me to see the datesof my winter cruise, yet the shore excursions for my summer cruise. Right now. This is happening right now. Try to not hurt yourself jumping to conclusions....

Thank you for your kind and helpful suggestion. :rolleyes: However, if you will re-read my Post, you will see that I did not jump to any conclusions but merely indicated that user error was the only explanation that I could think of, leaving open the possibility that other more tech-savy CCers (such as yourself) could think of other explanations ... and maybe a few solutions.

I do hope that you have not set "yourself up for some bad karma". Good luck booking your summer cruise shore excursions! :)

Edited by avian777