Review of Silhouette Nov 2016 Transatlantic

tweetylori

It's wonderful to read this review through a first timers eyes. Love how positive you are. The Silhouette is our favorite ship.

Love the S class and the Lawn Club Grill which is only on this ship and the Reflection.

Thank you! We did have one Lawn Club Grill experience later in the sailing. :D

Later it was the first of the turn-down sightings for us! We were so stuffed every night that all we did was collect those chocolates and take them home with us. They disappeared very quickly when I put them out at work the day after we got home!

I will admit that I was a bit disappointed there wasn't a towel animal to greet us each night :p, but soon learned that the view on our balcony was a much better sighting :D

IMG_20161105_220658.jpg

We got up early excited for more of Italy! From endless perusing of Cruise Critic Boards, I had learned of a wonderful company called Rome In Limo that does tours in ports. We decided that this would be our one big splurge, as we had such a limited time in this country that we had dreamed about visiting for so long. We had thoroughly enjoyed our two nights in Rome before boarding and were anxious for our first port stop after boarding!

Thankfully I had checked our Cruise Critic Roll Call before boarding and was very grateful that someone had kindly posted that we would NOT be docking at Livorno due to high winds, but rather La Spezia. This knowledge enabled me to contact the tour company and make arrangements for our driver to meet us there instead of Livorno. They charged us an extra 50 euros, but it was worth it!

Before we got off the ship, we ran up to the Oceanview buffet for a quick breakfast. I gave Husband a break at breakfast from having his food photo'd, but took my own. Breakfast quickly became my favorite time at the buffet. They really did it right! The poached egg station was awesome...you could have a regular one, corned beef hash one or my fave: the Mexican one:

IMG_20161106_070622.jpg

After breakfast, we walked right off the ship. The way La Spezia is set up, our driver couldn't meet us right there. We went into a building and he was waiting there with a sign and an umbrella. It was a rainy Sunday, but we didn't care, we were about to experience more of ITALY!

We had a bit of a walk to get to our Mercedes (ha! I had to write that...I drive a Hyundai at home...told you this was a splurge day :p)

Our driver, Vinny drove us first to the charming old town of Lucca where we wandered around for a couple hours. There wasn't much happening on a rainy Sunday morning in Lucca, but that was okay with us as we were THERE!

IMG_20161106_105441.jpg

IMG_20161106_104859.jpg

IMG_20161106_092525.jpg

IMG_20161106_092401.jpg

Thank you for the great Review and wonderful photos.

This ship was our first with X and we loved it.

So excited to hear from someone else who enjoyed this as a firsts sailing with Celebrity also! Do you wonder who is in your cabin now, like we do?

Thankfully I had checked our Cruise Critic Roll Call before boarding and was very grateful that someone had kindly posted that we would NOT be docking at Livorno due to high winds, but rather La Spezia. This knowledge enabled me to contact the tour company and make arrangements for our driver to meet us there instead of Livorno. They charged us an extra 50 euros, but it was worth it!

Thanks for your great review. We loved the cruise.

How did you manage to contact Romeiimo? I tried calling all day from Rome, with no luck, and they claim they never received my e-mail. They wanted to charge us an additional 100 Euros for the added distance, but I was able to get that charged removed with a slight change of itinerary and a call to the office. They do ask for a phone number and I do think it would have been resonable for them to call with the changes, especially if they intend to charge more.

We did have a wonderful day with our incredible guide Mariaclara.

Edited by sippican

Thanks for your great review. We loved the cruise.

How did you manage to contact Romeiimo? I tried calling all day from Rome, with no luck, and they claim they never received my e-mail. They wanted to charge us an additional 100 Euros for the added distance, but I was able to get that charged removed with a slight change of itinerary and a call to the office. They do ask for a phone number and I do think it would have been resonable for them to call with the changes, especially if they intend to charge more.

We did have a wonderful day with our incredible guide Mariaclara.

Thanks sippican, glad you loved it also! I simply emailed them and heard back quite fairly quickly that they could still accommodate us but that it would cost 50 extra euros. Turns out Vinny lives near Livorno, so we were happy to pay for him to drive so much farther on a rainy day! Glad to hear that your guide was good also!

After buying some of their fabulous olive oil, and ordering some fabulous wine to be shipped home, we had to head back to the ship. Not a lot of time was left, but Vinny thought we had just enough for a quick stop at Pisa! He did warn us to watch our belongings when we got out.

Leaning? Maybe not?

IMG_20161106_154428.jpg

Then again:

IMG_20161106_154327.jpg

IMG_20161106_154432.jpg

IMG_20161106_154518.jpg

IMG_20161106_154238.jpg

Well protected!

IMG_20161106_154636.jpg

Vinny brought us back to La Spezia in plenty of time. He once again had to park a little distance away, but goodness knows we could use any little walks we could get! We paid our euros, said our goodbyes, used our trusty sea passes and hopped right back aboard!

IMG_20161106_172446.jpg

Goodbye La Spezia...goodbye Italy, we can't wait to see you again one day!

IMG_20161106_172441.jpg

Like I said before, we learned that dining earlier for dinner was preferable for us, so off we went to the main dining room. This was our first of every further night at a table for two in the same section. Tables are very close together, so we did get to know our neighbors most nights.

Tonight's selections:

IMG_20161106_174731.jpg

Eating early means a quiet dining room:

IMG_20161106_174932.jpg

This was my fairly tasteless Scallop Crudo: (would not order this again)

IMG_20161106_175402.jpg

Husband enjoyed his Barolo Braised Beef Ragout with Gnocchi:

IMG_20161106_175352.jpg

And if this day wasn't already grand enough, it was topped off with front row seats to the Tenors of Rock! Note, these guys are on their way to Vegas. No telling what a front row seat to see them there will cost! They put on a fantastic show!

IMG_20161106_190400.jpg

IMG_20161106_193141_1.jpg

IMG_20161106_193217_1.jpg

IMG_20161106_193437.jpg

IMG_20161106_193525.jpg

IMG_20161106_193724.jpg