Review of Silhouette Nov 2016 Transatlantic

tweetylori

We also did a tour with Eating Italy, Twilight Trastevere. It was nothing short of amazing! In fact, we met two other fellow passengers that evening.

They are planning on expending to Venice in 2017 and we are hoping to experience another tour with them in May.

Glad you enjoyed your tour.

We loved our tour so much, I almost suggested to Husband that we do this one that same evening, but decided it would be too much all in one day. I would have loved Trastevere, I'm sure! And Venice is still on my bucket list. That would be an awesome way to see parts of it. Thanks for the heads up on it!

Despite not being hungry, I felt the need to not leave Rome before having, well, Roman Style Artichokes for 8 euro. :p

IMG_20161104_215636.jpg

So beautiful!

IMG_20161104_215708.jpg

Light and delicious, but a pinch or two of salt would have taken them over the top.

Ordering these entitled us to some really good bread as well:

IMG_20161104_215756.jpg

Wonderful for soaking up some of that nice oil on the artichokes!

We were quite happy with our magical day and evening in Rome. Maybe we didn't get lost in crowds seeing the big sights...no Vatican or Colosseum (this time) for us. But we did soak up all we could via food, drink and just being there!

I will say we did inch our way via clogged traffic by the Colosseum on the way to our food tour, which I do believe should count toward seeing culture. ;) So cool! And next time we will definitely go IN!

I know for sure there will be a next time because we tossed those coins over our left shoulders into the Trevi Fountain, so our future looks awesome!

Edited by tweetylori

After another sound-sleep in our wonderful hotel room, we took last showers in our disco bathroom, packed up and asked if we could keep our luggage somewhere since our driver wasn't coming until noon to pick us up. Of course that was no problem, so we headed out for some last Rome eating and shopping.

Breakfast time! Time to try this charming little spot right across from our hotel:

IMG_20161105_112146.jpg

Despite the good-looking sweets, we couldn't resist sharing this charmer, and it was indeed as good as it looked!

IMG_20161105_104732.jpg

The empty spot in the case is where our pizza had been

IMG_20161105_104303.jpg

Paid for that as well as waters and espressos

IMG_20161105_104238.jpg

IMG_20161105_104423.jpg

After catching up at home with the free wi-fi here, we had another round of espressos and continued on for some last shopping.

Edited by tweetylori

Right on time (actually ten minutes early), we were picked up in a Mercedes by our Italian driver and whisked away to the port of Civitavecchia!

IMG_20161105_120528.jpg

IMG_20161105_120545.jpg

I remember when we passed this building Ventura Highway by America was playing on the radio station our driver had on. American music, but Italian language in between. Working in American radio all my life, I wanted to ask him to please switch to Italian music, but never could get his attention as he was on a bluetooth for a long time. :rolleyes:

IMG_20161105_120732.jpg

So here we are, full circle...back to the beginning of the cruise! :p Even though Rome was just two short nights it felt like a vacation in itself as everything was new and exciting! Now here we were embarking on yet another amazing adventure. :D via a 15-night cruise...over two weeks aboard an incredible ship, with a fantastic crew.

Thank you to everyone who has come on this journey with us. It is my hope that by sharing this it helps in some small way with planning for your adventure. I know I scoured these boards for information and learned so much. Would love to be able to give back. If I can answer any questions, am more than happy to do so!

This report is but one small story from the 3,000 or so that were aboard our one sailing. Everyone experiences things differently. I know some might be saying I am way too enthusiastic about it all. I remember walking by one woman in the buffet early on in the cruise, for instance, and hearing her say that she "couldn't wait to go home and cook her own meals" :eek: And it was in the first few days of the sailing!

Were things perfect? Of course not. But I can say that for us, this 15-night 15th anniversary cruise was everything and more that we had hoped for. I can't compare it to past Celebrity cruises because this was our first. But I can compare it to our past vacations in general, and this one rates up there as the best. So far. Can't wait to see what comes next. ;)

What a fantastic review! I've spent hours reading every word and looking at every picture, I can't imagine how much time you spent writing it!!! Thank you! You also brought back some wonderful Rome memories! I remember seeing that same building and wondering what it is!

One thing I was hoping someone else would chime in on- someone commented that you could have the mattress swapped out, but I've never seen that mentioned anywhere else and quite frankly it seems like it would be a logistical nightmare. Can you imagine housekeeping carrying a mattress down those narrow hallways?!? I HAVE heard that you could get an eggshell topper put on the mattress though.

Now I'm off to research trips on the Silly! Thank you!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Lori,

This was one of the best and certainly the most entertaining reviews I have ever read. It is so nice to to hear how much you enjoyed your trip. I hope you make yourself an album with all your wonderful pictures so you can take it and relive the whole adventure all over again!

I think I gained 10 pounds just looking at all that food...

Jane

What a fantastic review! I've spent hours reading every word and looking at every picture, I can't imagine how much time you spent writing it!!! Thank you! You also brought back some wonderful Rome memories! I remember seeing that same building and wondering what it is!

One thing I was hoping someone else would chime in on- someone commented that you could have the mattress swapped out, but I've never seen that mentioned anywhere else and quite frankly it seems like it would be a logistical nightmare. Can you imagine housekeeping carrying a mattress down those narrow hallways?!? I HAVE heard that you could get an eggshell topper put on the mattress though.

Now I'm off to research trips on the Silly! Thank you!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thank you so much for coming along with us on our journey, and for your kind words. Yes, it took way longer than I anticipated to get it done. The part that takes forever is dealing with Photobucket in order to post pics.

As for the mattress, honestly I don't know that we would have requested a replacement or egg crate topper anyway as we didn't want to add an extra burden to our hardworking Cabin Steward! We still managed to sleep. :p

Hope you find an itinerary on Silly that looks good to you! Happy Sailing!

Lori,

This was one of the best and certainly the most entertaining reviews I have ever read. It is so nice to to hear how much you enjoyed your trip. I hope you make yourself an album with all your wonderful pictures so you can take it and relive the whole adventure all over again!

I think I gained 10 pounds just looking at all that food...

Jane

Thank you Jane! Hadn't thought about doing a physical album. Everything is all digital these days. That could be my next project though. :D

Speaking of weight gain...I don't think I confessed how much I did gain. :eek: Halfway through the trip I was seriously worried that it was 15 pounds or so. Note, I'm under 5' 2, and already started the cruise over where I should be. After a couple days home, I bravely stepped on the scales and I was up 4 pounds. UGH, but at least it wasn't the 15 I was afraid of. Of course, the holidays might have added a couple more :mad:

Weight Watchers time!

Thank you Jane! Hadn't thought about doing a physical album. Everything is all digital these days. That could be my next project though. :D

Speaking of weight gain...I don't think I confessed how much I did gain. :eek: Halfway through the trip I was seriously worried that it was 15 pounds or so. Note, I'm under 5' 2, and already started the cruise over where I should be. After a couple days home, I bravely stepped on the scales and I was up 4 pounds. UGH, but at least it wasn't the 15 I was afraid of. Of course, the holidays might have added a couple more :mad:

Weight Watchers time!

Try Shutterfly, it's nice to be able to look at those memories anytime you want.

Only 4 pounds? I am sure it was worth it!

Jane

I have to echo what everyone else keeps saying: this has been a marvelous post, one which was so entertainingly written that I looked forward to continuing as you posted. The pictures were beautiful and the narration delightful. You are certainly talented. I must say I have never seen a report on Rome such as yours, especially the tasting tour. Thank you for letting me share vicariously in your experiences. We will be on the Silhouette in, goodness, under three weeks, and I feel I know her already. Happy New Year!:)

Try Shutterfly, it's nice to be able to look at those memories anytime you want.

Only 4 pounds? I am sure it was worth it!

Jane

Shutterfly is faster? I would try anything! And yes, I can say it was worth the 4 pounds now, but the next few months when I'm trying to lose everything, I might not think so anymore. :o

fantastic review. made one feel as if we were therewith you. Certainly have wetted the taste buds for this trip of a lifetime!!! I am trying to encourage hubby to make the trip to Italy. He is very iffy on travel overseas. But he loved some of these pictures. Maybe you have enticed him for me. I would like to do an Italian cruise with a land tour to Tuscany. Also would like to see Mykonos and Santorini and Barcelona. That would be one hell of a trip!!!

I have to echo what everyone else keeps saying: this has been a marvelous post, one which was so entertainingly written that I looked forward to continuing as you posted. The pictures were beautiful and the narration delightful. You are certainly talented. I must say I have never seen a report on Rome such as yours, especially the tasting tour. Thank you for letting me share vicariously in your experiences. We will be on the Silhouette in, goodness, under three weeks, and I feel I know her already. Happy New Year!:)

Thank you Beach Spring...it really means a lot to me for you to say so. I'm sure most Rome reports are less food-centered. :p Can't help myself, and fortunately Husband goes along with me. He's a keeper!

How exciting that you will be on Silly in under three weeks!!! I hope you enjoy that beautiful ship as much as we did!

Once again a wonderful review Lori. I was away from cruise critic for a while and I finally caught up earlier this week. I must say that you have a flair for writing. You have the ability to make your readers feel as if they were with you on this trip. I felt this way, and I was on this cruise with you guys. :) Also, as Mickey22 mentioned. Try Shutterfly or MyPublisher for photo books. Great review from beginning to end Lori, and thank you so very much for your time, talent and generosity. You brought this cruise back to life for a lot of us. Bravo!