Cruising after Gallbladder Surgery

patrick401ca

I am seeing a surgeon about getting my gallbladder removed next week. For anyone that has had this done, can you go on a cruise say a month or so later? I want the gallbladder out but was planning on taking a cruise over the winter.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

How long it takes to recover from gallbladder removal surgery (cholecystectomy) depends on whether you had a laparoscopic (keyhole) or open procedure in addition to you overall health.

Most people who have keyhole surgery are able to leave the hospital on the same day as the operation. It will usually take around two weeks to return to your normal activities provided no complications,.

After open surgery, you'll usually have to stay in hospital for three to five days and your recovery time will be longer. It can take around six to eight weeks to return to your normal activities provided no complications

Bottom line this is a matter to discuss with your Doctor . Nor should you base your decision to cruise after such a procedure based an CC Member's experiences ,

I understand that I have to do what my doctor tells me but I'm also interested in other people's experiences. If the doctor says don't go, I won't. I'm wondering what it was like for other people. I'm figuring this cruise won't be all about the food choices.

I had my gallbladder removed on July 29 and went on a 7 day cruise Aug. 22. In between I flew down to MIA and back the same day for my Global Entry interview. I had laparoscopic surgery and could have eaten supper that night, except I had such a sore throat from the intubation and dry mouth from the medication to dry up secretions....Supper was a strawberry banana smoothie from McD. It flt so good on my throat. It took me until the following Tuesday to be back to walking 2-3 miles in the morning. I am 72. YMMV. EM

Sometimes, you can have eating limitations....too much fatty or heavy food can cause discomfort in some folks for quite some time after having the gallbladder removed. So, you might not be able to eat normally for a while...but barring complications, you should be able to cruise,...just not to eat like you might have normally on a cruise!

I had my gallbladder removed the middle of September. I had the Davinci robot procedure for what that's worth.

I was completely recovered within a month. I was feeling totally great about seven days after surgery. It took me about a month to get my digestive tract back in order (I'll leave it to your imagination :D) But I could have easily gotten on a cruise ship a month after surgery.

It really depends on what kind of surgery you have. I had mine out in 1986 via open surgery (dark ages, obviously) and it took me quite a while to recover. But recovery from laparoscopic surgery is normally much quicker.

People also have different degrees of digestive problems postop. I have had zero problems eating fatty foods, but a friend of my husband's has major problems if she eats any and pretty much has to limit herself to a virtually fat-free diet. Hopefully your doctor can give you an idea of how much trouble to expect eating afterwards.

If finances are an issue and you are somewhat flexible about travelling, you might want to wait to book a cruise until after your surgery so you can see how you are recovering. You might even get a better deal that way.

Patrick, first of all, it appears we have a couple of things in common! I see you might be interested in the cruise that myself, husband and friends are going on. If you decide to join us, great! Secondly, I'm scheduled for gall bladder surgery next Friday! December 9th. I'm hoping and praying all will go well and I won't have any problems on the cruise. After reading some of theses posts, I'm a little concerned. I am just hoping the sooner I get this done, the faster the recovery. It's supposed to be done laparoscopically .

In 2012, I had a laparoscopic cholecystectomy on April 20th. I went on a cruise ten days later. Having the surgery a week or so before vacation allowed me to have three weeks after surgery before I returned to work, which is definitely physically harder than cruising.

There were some restrictions but I still enjoyed the cruise. You will want to be careful about your diet post-surgery, whether you go on a cruise or not. I made the mistake of selecting a lamb dish (which I had enjoyed on previous cruises) the first night of the cruise. I haven't eaten lamb since.

As stated previously, you will want to discuss this with your surgeon, but I see nothing wrong with asking others about their experiences so you have some idea of what to expect when you talk with your doctor.

Assuming it's laproscopic surgery and you arent a total wimp, the biggest issue will be the eating. You most likely won't be able to eat like you normally would on a cruise without paying a really high price. Don't do that to yourself, you might literally feel like you are dying. Stick to the dietary guidelines given to you by your doctor.

• 1 month later...

So I've had the surgery and went well. It's been a week and my stomach is settling down but I'm not eating fatty foods.

I'm booked to cruise for a week mid February. Anyone have any additional advice so far? I know to take doctors' advice but any other advice anyone has would really be appreciated.

So I've had the surgery and went well. It's been a week and my stomach is settling down but I'm not eating fatty foods.

I'm booked to cruise for a week mid February. Anyone have any additional advice so far? I know to take doctors' advice but any other advice anyone has would really be appreciated.

I can't help you with the specifics of your surgery but I took a cruise on Princess about a month after I had a medical condition that required a specialized diet.

I called Princess and asked if my record could include a note about my dietary requirements. She said no problem and notated my booking with the details. She suggested checking with the Customer Service desk (pka the Pursers Office) after boarding to make sure they got the notification. They did.

The dietary info was "attached" to my name and followed me whenever I booked a dining reservation. (We had late seating and booked specialty restaurants twice.)

Of course you'll be on your own in the Lido buffet and all other casual dining venues and bars.