What are you doing in Grand Turk?

Staticsteele1860

Rental a golf cart or take a taxi tour. Main historical sites are the John Glenn capsule, saltworks and the lighthouse.

For beginning snorkeling look into your cruise ship's excursions. This tour may be up your alley.

https://www.viator.com/tours/Grand-Turk/Gibbs-Cay-Stingray-and-Snorkel-Adventure-in-Grand-Turk/d968-6145GIBBS

Grand turk is not a really good place for sting rays. But there are tours that can bring you to see the few that show up. The beach is great for learning how to snorkel but there isnt really anything much to see except a few fish. Historical sites are almost non existent but im sure it all depends on which sites you are interested in exactly. What we found rather funny is Grand turk is the smallest of the turks. So size in this instance wasnt the reason its "grand". There are plenty of tour operator's on the pier and beach and we found ours there at half the price of what the ships prices were. I suggest looking on tripadvisor for suggestions of things to do. Most people suggest grand turk as a beach day port, but we found it to be more than that and looking forward to returning to it. The margaritaville pool looked very nice even tho we didnt go in it.

We've been there before and just stayed in the beach area (Jack's Shack, Local Village, M'ville, beach, snorkeling, etc.).

This time we are going to head to town (maybe by golf cart, maybe taxi), and check it out for lunch. Unfortunately our port time is 7 am - 2 pm so that gives us little time for lunch, according to the little local beach restaurants I wanted to visit (don't start serving until noon), but I believe they are also an hour ahead of ship time, so that's our plan right now.

I'm in LOVE with cracked conch and ceviche so my main goal is to be completely conched out by the end of our visit!!

7 - 2? :eek:

That's not much time at all. However, you are correct in that that will be 8-3 GT time. So you should be okay for lunch at either John's or Sandpiper's (and those two ladies do a fine job on conch) Barbie's is a good stop too, but the atmosphere is decidedly more "local" and no scenery.

Edited by crewsweeper

7 - 2? :eek:

That's not much time at all. However, you are correct in that that will be 8-3 GT time. So you should be okay for lunch at either John's or Sandpiper's (and those two ladies do a fine job on conch) Barbie's is a good stop too, but the atmosphere is decidedly more "local" and no scenery.

Yes, kind of stinks, but I guess it's better than not going at all!! I'll let you know how it goes! Thanks for all your kind help!

This is my plan for three weeks from now. Get off the pier and head to the right to the Conch Grave Yard. Check that out. Snorkle on that end of the beach. Then walk down to Jack's Shack and enjoy the beach and more snorkling there. Perhaps walk further down the beach and check out the ship wreck. Have lunch at Jack's and then return to the ship. I CAN"T WAIT>

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

We've been 3 times. First time was early like your day...we had adult kids with us so we went to the conch graveyard and then shopped around the places near the pier and had lunch and drinks at a place that's no longer there, but it was towards Jacks Shack.

Second time, just DH and myself. We took a shared van to town, $10 for both of us, one way. There's a small museum there that's around $5 pp and we found it interesting. We also did a little shopping with locals selling same stuff at about 1/3 the cost of the shops at the pier. We then ate at a restaurant that I found on Trip Advisor and it was perfect, sorry can't remember the name but it's walking distance from town. After lunch they called a taxi for us.

Third time we did the snorkeling excursion thru the cruise ship which takes you over "the drop off" and another place. It was cool but crowded and rushed. You may want to research some local companies. After we went to Jacks Shack for lunch and drinks. Make sure to check out JS's website for their free rum shot coupon.

Have fun....Grand Turk is a great little port. We can just get off and chill on the beach or watch the fun at Margaritaville.

We will be at Grand Turk in June on the Carnival Magic. This will be our 3rd time there.

We are going to split our day between the pool at Margaritaville and Jack's Shack. Cannot go to Grand Turk without the Jerk Chicken from Jack's. Also, need to get my "Topher" fill.:D:D:D

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We were just in Grand Turk aboard Carnival Sunshine. We booked Carnival's "Historical Homes, Town and Museum Tour". It was about 3 hours by minibus. We drove though Cockburn Town to see the colonial era houses from the bus. Stops in town were at St. Mary's Anglican Church and the Turks and Caicos National Museum. Other tour stops were at the lighthouse, the Friendship 7 spalshdown monument, and a former saltworks. Along the way were scenic views, other colonial era churches and lots of wild donkeys. It was a very enjoyable tour, but on another visit, I'd like to walk though Cockburn Town to see the houses at ground level. Every one has a historical marker on it.

The independent tour operator said he would run the same tour later in the day for an arriving Princess ship. Many cruise lines must offer this tour or similar.

We always rent a golf cart from Karib. Best $90 spent there. It gives us freedom on the island for the day. Ride up to the light house, go to Her Majesty's Prison, see the salt salinas that use to be the main source of income there, ride around Cockburn Town (pronounced Coeburn Town), stop at Governor's Beach, hit Jack's Shack for some food, and just ride around checking out different things. Love seeing the wild donkeys and other animals just roaming the streets.

If you snorkel do not book through the ship. We used Blue Water Divers and there was only 10 people on the boat. We stopped at 3 sites. As we left the first site, 2 huge pontoons showed up with cruise people. We laughed and waved to them as we headed to our second stop. Top notch company!!!!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Forums mobile app