Going on Liberty with kiddos- 2 weeks

bvreeland

We are going on the Liberty for Dec. 11 sailing. I can't wait. This will be my 4th cruise but the kids 1st. (8 yo and 10yo). They are very excited, and I think I am more excited for them.

With that being said I have only had to worry about myself when it comes for packing for cruise (we just got back from Disney, but I feel like cruise packing is so different than land vacation packing, call me crazy I know).

Any tips for packing for kids? Anything special to bring? Give me anything you can think of!

Also- ports- we want to swim with the dolphins in a port, zipline and possibly cave tube in a port, and do beach day in Cozumel. Any suggestion of which port to zipline and which port to swim with dolphins? We have always booked excursions on our own, which I will do again this go round. The cruise ship is just too expensive when I can get it half price.

TIA!

Hi there! I have four kids and we love to vacation! My mom lives in Orlando so we just visited last Christmas and so I know all about the packing for kids and traveling. My kids have been on 3 cruises and soon to be 4, we will be on the Liberty in April! As far as packing goes I usually bring multiple bathing suits so they always have a dry one. I recommend rash guards for the kids to protect them from getting sunburns and this way you don't use as much sunscreen. ****bring lots of sunscreen!!!! I usually bring 4 big bottles of the kids sunscreen and 1-2 for my husband and I! We are fair and constantly have to reapply! Sunscreen on the ship is expensive!! Based on your excursions I would also recommend good quality water shoes, I usually buy the kids reem or

Merrell and get them at stride rite or department store! I pack every type of medicine they could possibly need, I pack an over the door shoe organizer which is great for shoes and accessories like sunglasses, hats, shampoo etc! Pack bandaids and anti bacteria ointment, a little first aid kit. I also recommend that you download some movies to a device just in case of bad weather I hear the tv is limited. I also pack snacks for the kids, things they may miss from home that you can't get onboard. I also pack glow sticks for the kids, just because I'm the cool mom! Lol. My kids are 7,7,7,9, they like that stuff. I have one child that needs Dramamine desperately so if you don't know if yours will need it I would definitely bring it! If you have any questions let me know! I also pack at least two extra outfits per kid and of course a smart outfit for formal night two shirts, same pants, and new sperrys for their shoes. Good luck!

Hi there! I have four kids and we love to vacation! My mom lives in Orlando so we just visited last Christmas and so I know all about the packing for kids and traveling. My kids have been on 3 cruises and soon to be 4, we will be on the Liberty in April! As far as packing goes I usually bring multiple bathing suits so they always have a dry one. I recommend rash guards for the kids to protect them from getting sunburns and this way you don't use as much sunscreen. ****bring lots of sunscreen!!!! I usually bring 4 big bottles of the kids sunscreen and 1-2 for my husband and I! We are fair and constantly have to reapply! Sunscreen on the ship is expensive!! Based on your excursions I would also recommend good quality water shoes, I usually buy the kids reem or

Merrell and get them at stride rite or department store! I pack every type of medicine they could possibly need, I pack an over the door shoe organizer which is great for shoes and accessories like sunglasses, hats, shampoo etc! Pack bandaids and anti bacteria ointment, a little first aid kit. I also recommend that you download some movies to a device just in case of bad weather I hear the tv is limited. I also pack snacks for the kids, things they may miss from home that you can't get onboard. I also pack glow sticks for the kids, just because I'm the cool mom! Lol. My kids are 7,7,7,9, they like that stuff. I have one child that needs Dramamine desperately so if you don't know if yours will need it I would definitely bring it! If you have any questions let me know! I also pack at least two extra outfits per kid and of course a smart outfit for formal night two shirts, same pants, and new sperrys for their shoes. Good luck!

Thank you for all that info! I have seen people use the over the door hanger but haven't done it myself. It seems a must for the kids. I didn't think of the water shoes either.

Just want to chime in and say Liberty is THE BEST. Love Galveston (Driving from Dallas personally), Love Liberty. There crew is great, I really enjoy the Freedom class. Liberty has a ton to offer for kids of their ages, hopefully they catch the bug!!!

We are going on the Liberty for Dec. 11 sailing. I can't wait. This will be my 4th cruise but the kids 1st. (8 yo and 10yo). They are very excited, and I think I am more excited for them.

With that being said I have only had to worry about myself when it comes for packing for cruise (we just got back from Disney, but I feel like cruise packing is so different than land vacation packing, call me crazy I know).

Any tips for packing for kids? Anything special to bring? Give me anything you can think of!

Also- ports- we want to swim with the dolphins in a port, zipline and possibly cave tube in a port, and do beach day in Cozumel. Any suggestion of which port to zipline and which port to swim with dolphins? We have always booked excursions on our own, which I will do again this go round. The cruise ship is just too expensive when I can get it half price.

TIA!

I see that you are already on your Roll Call. That really is the best place for this conversation.

In addition, if you haven't visited yet, check out the ports of call boards:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=587

I see that you are already on your Roll Call. That really is the best place for this conversation.

In addition, if you haven't visited yet, check out the ports of call boards:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=587

I think this is the perfect place to ask a question since some roll calls have only adults cruising without kids! [emoji1303]

We swam with the dolphins at Chankanaab in Cozumel. The kids loved it. There was a hard-sell on pictures and videos afterward which got a little annoying, but I wouldn't consider it a deal-breaker. They also have a sea lion show that our kids really enjoyed. They have beach facilities as well.

In Roatan, we booked through Victor Bodden and arranged an entire day that included ziplining, playing with monkeys, sightseeing, going to a beach, etc. That was probably one of our kids' all-time favorite excursions. The whole day was fantastic.

Edited by soccermommie

I think this is the perfect place to ask a question since some roll calls have only adults cruising without kids! [emoji1303]

Thanks! I thought I could get a wider range of people cruising with kids.

How do you feel about your older ones walking around the ship with out you? Do you check them into and out of AO each time? I feel like I want to give them a little room but yet you can never be too careful with the safety of your children.

Thanks! I thought I could get a wider range of people cruising with kids.

How do you feel about your older ones walking around the ship with out you? Do you check them into and out of AO each time? I feel like I want to give them a little room but yet you can never be too careful with the safety of your children.

I never let them out of my sight, my kids are too little at 7 & 9! I have read scary stuff, if they were 16 and older I would consider it depending on their street smarts if you know what I mean. I have one out of my 4 that doesn't enjoy the kids programs, but he will go with a compromise [emoji4]. We usually only have them go during dinner unless they want to go.

Packing is no different...except you will need long pants (for men and boys) on a ship at dinner.

Your 8 yr old isn't old enough to "check out" of the club on his own. I wouldn't give a 10 year old "run of the ship", either. i WOULD allow them to come and go from a specific place to a specific place...with immediate "check in" with me. Like, go to the WJ to get ice cream, and come back to me.....I would NOT allow roaming under ANY circumstance. There are more than 10,000 on the ship, between the passengers and crew...most small cities don't have that many folks! Keep your kids safe and close to you.

We've cruised many times with small ones (although they are now grown). We used the large zip-lock bags and would pack an entire outfit per kid in the zip-lock, ready to pull out for the day for for the evening (they even come in 3 gal size). Dirty outfits go back into the zip-lock and I used a sharpie to mark an X before tossing it into the suitcase (under the bed) to show that it was DIRTY. Always carry any over-the-counter meds they might need, including something for a stuffy nose, sore throat, cold, band-aids, Neosporin, etc. Nothing worse than needing something in the night. My Grandson LOVED ordering cookies and chocolate milk before bedtime. He knew where we kept the envelope with the tip money and would be sitting waiting on room service every night. It was a special treat. We always put a carton of milk in the mini-fridge and a box of dry cereal just in case he wanted something to snack on. You are going to have SO much fun. Enjoy!

Packing is no different...except you will need long pants (for men and boys) on a ship at dinner.

Your 8 yr old isn't old enough to "check out" of the club on his own. I wouldn't give a 10 year old "run of the ship", either. i WOULD allow them to come and go from a specific place to a specific place...with immediate "check in" with me. Like, go to the WJ to get ice cream, and come back to me.....I would NOT allow roaming under ANY circumstance. There are more than 10,000 on the ship, between the passengers and crew...most small cities don't have that many folks! Keep your kids safe and close to you.

Thanks for that input. That sounds like my style of parenting. Go there and come back immediately to me. I have thought about bringing walkie-talkies but I didn't want the kids to be an annoyance to other passengers.

We've cruised many times with small ones (although they are now grown). We used the large zip-lock bags and would pack an entire outfit per kid in the zip-lock, ready to pull out for the day for for the evening (they even come in 3 gal size). Dirty outfits go back into the zip-lock and I used a sharpie to mark an X before tossing it into the suitcase (under the bed) to show that it was DIRTY. Always carry any over-the-counter meds they might need, including something for a stuffy nose, sore throat, cold, band-aids, Neosporin, etc. Nothing worse than needing something in the night. My Grandson LOVED ordering cookies and chocolate milk before bedtime. He knew where we kept the envelope with the tip money and would be sitting waiting on room service every night. It was a special treat. We always put a carton of milk in the mini-fridge and a box of dry cereal just in case he wanted something to snack on. You are going to have SO much fun. Enjoy!

Wow! Love the Ziploc idea. I have started packing their suitcase and I usually take their outfit for the day (shorts, shirt, socks, etc) and roll it up. But having the bag to throw the dirty clothes back in is a great idea.

I got the 3 gal ones at the dollar store. Bonus is that on the last day/night, your suitcase is 90% packed and you get to enjoy yourself rather than spreading everything out on the bed and sofa to repack. Last zip lock is laid out for disembarkation the following morning, any toiletries go into a zip lock so they don't spill inside your luggage and you are ready to go enjoy your last day and night on the ship.