Carnival Transportation to IAH - any advantages?

Lynscratch

Are there any advantages to booking Carnival's transportation to IAH?

Ie do you get off ship earlier like with excursions?

Just wondering if it is better to self assist with private transportation or rely on Carnival. Can't miss our international flight!

We happen to prefer the cruiseline shuttle for Houston.... the reason is TRAFFIC. Houston traffic is a nightmare and they close roads for construction all the time, you never know how long it will take to get to the airport, can be 45 minutes or can be 120 minutes! Happened to us our first cruise. We were on the first bus leaving the airport heading for the ship and construction had the roads backed up and moving at 20 mph all the way out of town... it took almost 2 hours to get there.

And yes, you do have to wait for the bus to fill up but honestly, we only sat on the bus 10 minutes before it was full and off to the airport. Both times we have used the shuttle to airport it was smooth as silk, and worry free.

Are there any advantages to booking Carnival's transportation to IAH?

Ie do you get off ship earlier like with excursions?

Just wondering if it is better to self assist with private transportation or rely on Carnival. Can't miss our international flight!

Are you cruising out of Galveston? I'm assuming you are since to the best of my knowledge Carnival does not cruise out of Bayport in Texas.

If so, be aware it is about 70 miles each way between IAH Bush Intercontinental Airport and the port of Galveston. Distance and traffic issues are a big consideration there, and because of that Galveston is one of the few ports where many people prefer Carnival transfers unless they are driving themselves. Houston Hobby airport is closer to Galveston (about 42 miles) if that is an option for you.

Thank you for your responses....we are already booked to fly out of IAH so going out of Hobby is not an option. Thankfully we have a bit of time to decide...

As long as you're aware of the unique situation that exists in cruising from Galveston, you'll do fine in making a good decision in choosing transportation.

Hope you have a great cruise.

As long as you're aware of the unique situation that exists in cruising from Galveston, you'll do fine in making a good decision in choosing transportation.

Hope you have a great cruise.

I flew into IAH twice and used Carnival buses each time. The 1st time last October filled up quickly and we got to the seaport a little after noon.

The second time in November it took hours for the bus to appear and then we waited another hour for it to fill up. Got to the port around 3:30PM.

The only good thing about using Carnival shuttles IMO is that the ship won't leave w/o you.

I doubt I will ever use a far away airport again, I prefer those like FLL or MIA which are only 15 - 20 mins away. Even better, sailing from my homeport of NYC avoids flying altogether.

The last 2 cruises we went out of Galveston. Both times we took a private company. Not sure if we are allowed to mention them or not, but its the Galveston express. Both times were flawless, never had an issue, and they go out of both airports, and are VERY easy to work with on times and locations of drop offs.

Agree, best way is private

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Normally would agree that private is better, both time wise and money wise.....but to IAH it is expensive to do private. However, have you looked into Galveston Express....google them, they have been very nice to work with!!

We happen to prefer the cruiseline shuttle for Houston.... the reason is TRAFFIC. Houston traffic is a nightmare and they close roads for construction all the time, you never know how long it will take to get to the airport, can be 45 minutes or can be 120 minutes! Happened to us our first cruise. We were on the first bus leaving the airport heading for the ship and construction had the roads backed up and moving at 20 mph all the way out of town... it took almost 2 hours to get there.

And yes, you do have to wait for the bus to fill up but honestly, we only sat on the bus 10 minutes before it was full and off to the airport. Both times we have used the shuttle to airport it was smooth as silk, and worry free.

You are not going form IAH to Galveston with NO traffic in 45 minutes. It is about 70 miles or so form the aiprort to the island. By the time you depart the airport/port to the other 1 1/12hrs is not unreasonable

Are you cruising out of Galveston? I'm assuming you are since to the best of my knowledge Carnival does not cruise out of Bayport in Texas.

Nobody is using Bayport anymore. That failed experiment is over and it is being transformed to something else. And I'm sure Harris county tax payers are still thrilled about all that wasted cash. :eek: