Europe?

karinad

I would not say that Horizon is a def until they announce. There has been more and more subtle talk about the possibility of that not happening (which would be a shame). That said, she is schedule to be turned over to Carnival in March 2018.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks! I was hoping that I missed something on it! We were on Celebrity in Europe a few months ago and the food was not great! Carnival is way better! We were on CCL for a Europe cruise out of England a few years ago and it was so much better!

Having cruised and trained around Italy, France, Spain, Austria and Hungary, I would never cruise in Europe again. There are just too many magical moments you can experience on land where you would have to be back on board. After-dinner walks around Venice is one of many, many examples. That's an experience like nothing I've ever had on a cruise.

Having cruised and trained around Italy, France, Spain, Austria and Hungary, I would never cruise in Europe again. There are just too many magical moments you can experience on land where you would have to be back on board. After-dinner walks around Venice is one of many, many examples. That's an experience like nothing I've ever had on a cruise.

To play devils advocate, so it is better to experience nothing then a glimpse?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

When traveling to a place as complex as Europe, I used a cruise to pare down my options when I return for a land vacation.

That said, in places as far away as Australia and New Zealand, where I may only journey once, I'm exploring strictly on land for 6 weeks.

Everyone has their own formula, and there is no right or wrong way to go about expanding one's horizons.

Edited by evandbob

That could be pretty much said about any cruise... I tend to use a cruise to see where I might like to return to for a more in depth exploration. A ship IS the destination, the ports are activities "at" that chosen destination. As most will agree, "Seeing" Europe from a cruise ship is not really experiencing Europe, but rather "sampling" Europe, kind of getting your feet wet before you commit!

Well...after only "sampling" Europe by cruiseship and spending a couple of days on land, we discovered that we can only sample Europe. We had a very port intensive cruise for 11 days with 2 sea days. We were wishing there were more sea days. Yes, it is wonderful to walk around at night, but, we found ourselves looking for the cheapest option to eat. We have discovered places we'd like to spend some time in and some we never want to return again! It really sucked to have to unpack and pack three times!

When we were younger we used to spend a week every year at a Sandals Resort in many Caribbean Islands. Some islands that you needed to have an armed guard with you if you were venturing outside. The beach was nice when we were young.

It's nice coming back on the ship and knowing you're going to have a good meal and entertainment without getting handed a check that makes you choke! If we were rich, maybe things would be different. We're in our 60's, so, most likely that isn't going to happen. We're just grateful and happy to be able to cruise to many countries and islands at this time in our lives.:)

Well...after only "sampling" Europe by cruiseship and spending a couple of days on land, we discovered that we can only sample Europe. We had a very port intensive cruise for 11 days with 2 sea days. We were wishing there were more sea days. Yes, it is wonderful to walk around at night, but, we found ourselves looking for the cheapest option to eat. We have discovered places we'd like to spend some time in and some we never want to return again! It really sucked to have to unpack and pack three times!

When we were younger we used to spend a week every year at a Sandals Resort in many Caribbean Islands. Some islands that you needed to have an armed guard with you if you were venturing outside. The beach was nice when we were young.

It's nice coming back on the ship and knowing you're going to have a good meal and entertainment without getting handed a check that makes you choke! If we were rich, maybe things would be different. We're in our 60's, so, most likely that isn't going to happen. We're just grateful and happy to be able to cruise to many countries and islands at this time in our lives.:)

I'm with you. Maybe if I was a twentysomething, or even in my thirties I would travel around Europe with a backpack and travel by train. I'm 55, DH is 60, and we just started going to Europe back in 2013. Cruising seems to suits us just fine. Maybe I don't get immersed into a culture, but I have seen the Tattoo in Scotland, a ballet in St. Petersburg, and had many other wonderful experiences. Its good that there are many different options for those that enjoy travel.

One can have it all. Find a cruise that embarks from a port you want to spend time in, spend some days there. Upon disembarking spend some more time. As of now there are still ships that embark in Venice.