Cabin Steward

CruiseLovininIL

We have been fortunate on previous cruises to have exceptional cabin stewards. I was reading in a book with tips for cruising and the author mentioned having a small gift (chocolates or the like) to give to the cabin steward. We already tip extra. I know these employees work really hard to make us comfortable and they don't get paid all that well. Any thoughts on this?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We have been fortunate on previous cruises to have exceptional cabin stewards. I was reading in a book with tips for cruising and the author mentioned having a small gift (chocolates or the like) to give to the cabin steward. We already tip extra. I know these employees work really hard to make us comfortable and they don't get paid all that well. Any thoughts on this?

There are several threads about this. Agreement seems to be that since you do not know your stewards likes, allergies, etc the best gift is extra cash.

Here we go again.

Cash.

Take the money you were going to use for the small gift and add it to the cash you were already going to give. Write a thank you note.

Nobody wants gifts. Crew have limited space and those things clutter.

No gifts, no food, no gift cards, no calling cards, no souvenirs from shore... cash...and a thank you note. That's it.

I would think that some added cash at the end of the Cruise would be the best Thank You.

42 Cruises behind us and we have always left a little extra above the Standard.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Here we go again.

Cash.

Take the money you were going to use for the small gift and add it to the cash you were already going to give. Write a thank you note.

Nobody wants gifts. Crew have limited space and those things clutter.

No gifts, no food, no gift cards, no calling cards, no souvenirs from shore... cash...and a thank you note. That's it.

But there are some who will give a nice photo of themselves, now that's a nice touch.;):rolleyes:

Extra cash tipping directly to RS - yes.

A simple thank you along with it - yes.

plus (+)

for exceptional services and/or going above & beyond - don't forget

fill out one of the Hero Card, ask for them at Guest Services if it's not in the stateroom. (Note: full name spelled out is better, especially if this is for someone in dining, bar/lounges, etc. - with 1,000+ crew members onboard, easier to not play the guessing & let's read the handwriting game ;) )

Edited by mking8288

What is the name of the book/author spewing such nonsense?

We like to fold a towel into a cute little animal on departure day and leave it on the bed with a thank you note. Much better than just leaving some cash!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Edited by wdsted

Extra cash tipping directly to RS - yes.

A simple thank you along with it - yes.

plus (+)

for exceptional services and/or going above & beyond - don't forget

fill out one of the Hero Card, ask for them at Guest Services if it's not in the stateroom. (Note: full name spelled out is better, especially if this is for someone in dining, bar/lounges, etc. - with 1,000+ crew members onboard, easier to not play the guessing & let's read the handwriting game ;) )

This is what we do. Cash, plus the Hero Cards. The Hero Cards tell their bosses how much we appreciate the extra effort they have given to make our vacation enjoyable.

Why do you think that they are not well paid? NCL employees are on a contract that pays them well. In addition they also receive food, lodging, and medical care without out of pocket cost.

If you tip extra you are doing more than enough to compensate your steward.