airport in sydney

We are on Australia-New Zeland cruise Feb. 2017,which ends in AUCKLAND. Our return flight to Los Angeles is from Sydney at 11:00 am. We are flying from Auckland to Sydney arriving at 9:30 am. Do we have enough time? Appreciate any comments from those of you who are familiar with Sydney airport and regulations.

We are on Australia-New Zeland cruise Feb. 2017,which ends in AUCKLAND. Our return flight to Los Angeles is from Sydney at 11:00 am. We are flying from Auckland to Sydney arriving at 9:30 am. Do we have enough time? Appreciate any comments from those of you who are familiar with Sydney airport and regulations.

Are you tickets connected - as in are you flying from Auckland to LA via Sydney? If so, there should be no issue as you will not need to clear immigration/customs in Sydney as you can transit through so that should be sufficient time.

If you are flying in on different airlines or tickets, you may have an issue as immigration/customs on arrival in Sydney can take up to an hour or more (depending on the time of the day really) and then you will need to recheck in your bags again and clear immigration/customs which can also take time (depending on the time of the day as well). If you do need to do this can I suggest you change your flight to LA to a later time (to take into account late arrival of your flight from Auckland and/or delays at customs/immigration).

Edited by SunnyinDubai

There is one international terminal at Sydney, so no need to have to move very far.

As you are a transit passenger, you should not have to go through Customs and Immigration. So, not a time issue there.

Assuming the flights are a single booking, you should be able to check your luggage through from Auckland. If they are separate bookings, it gets trickier as some airlines will only check for their leg.

90 minutes is the minimum gap allowed. Again, if it is a single booking, the airlines do have some wait time if the connecting flight is delayed.

Try and pre-book your seats on the LAX leg to save time.

Edited by Docker123

thanks for replies so far: first of all they are NOT single flights,our round trip is LAX-SYD. and back,so Auckland to Sydney is "independent"(different airlines too)....I re-checked times: we arrive in Sydney at 9:45 am and SYD-LAX flight is at 11:30 am,so we have 115 minutes between flights.Is that safe for that time of day as far as immigration?

thanks for any help/suggestions

From what you say docmark..... you'll be arriving into Sydney on a ticket that is not linked to yr Sydney to Lax flight. If this is correct and your not able to check yr bag from Auckland through to lax, then sadly.... as already mentioned above, you'll need plenty more time to clear arrivals-customs, check in again and reenter back to airside.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

thanks for replies so far: first of all they are NOT single flights,our round trip is LAX-SYD. and back,so Auckland to Sydney is "independent"(different airlines too)....I re-checked times: we arrive in Sydney at 9:45 am and SYD-LAX flight is at 11:30 am,so we have 115 minutes between flights.Is that safe for that time of day as far as immigration?

thanks for any help/suggestions

I really think you may be struggling to make that connection, I would look at alternate flights, either getting there earlier or leaving later.

Hi docmark,

We are on the Solstice sailing January 12 to 24th, staying in Auckland several days post cruise. Like you, we booked RT on Virgin Australia to Sydney and then booked an independent flight Auckland to Sydney on Air NZ. However, we are flying into Sydney the afternoon before the LAX departure and staying at the Sydney Airport Rydges. I understand the hassle paying a change fee, but for the risk of missing your flight back to LAX, perhaps it would be money well spent.

As others have mentioned, it would be a BIG gamble to make the Virgin flight as you have to clear immigration, collect baggage, re-check said baggage, clear security and get to your gate in ample time.

Sorry to be a buzz kill ... good luck!

Edited by DogLover
Adding information

Under the circumstance, I don't think you are a buzz kill. The OP is obviously worried about the scenario and was checking for local input. His best course of action is to make sure he can make the flight by arriving much earlier (at least another 2-3 hours) or leave on the Us flight later. I suspect it is cheaper and easier to change the first flight. You have given some good advice.:D

I agree with the others - you will need to change your flights as you have not given yourself enough time. When we do domestic to international transfers with our bags checked through, there is a minimum 50 mins transfer time allowed by the airlines and we find this too short as the immigration and customs lines at Syd Airport are unpredictable and can be extremely busy. :)

I would suggest you give yourself a minimum of at least 3 hours if not more before your LA flight.

Edited by SunnyinDubai

They'll either have to take a flight that departs Auckland around 6am, or fly over to Sydney the night before and stay at an airport hotel. I think I'd prefer the latter - less stress and that way you start the long flight refreshed.

They'll either have to take a flight that departs Auckland around 6am, or fly over to Sydney the night before and stay at an airport hotel. I think I'd prefer the latter - less stress and that way you start the long flight refreshed.

Agreed, a good night sleep before a long flight is a good start.:D