Passport

TyB

Doesn't look like I'll have a passport by the time I set sail. Someone told me I wouldn't be able to disembark at ports with just a birth certificate, is that true? I am a citizen. My original bc is old and torn so I had to get a newer copy for the passport.

Edited by TyB

Travelling without a passport: consider what you will do if you need to leave the ship early: airport and airlines are very unlikely to allow you to travel with out appropriate travel documentation (passport).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Not good. Why do you not have a passport if you were planning a cruise? I would never risk the possibility of having to leave a cruise early from a different island, as it has happened to me when a family emergency occurred back home. I renewed my passport last January---not due until July--just so I knew I would have current travel documents. But of course, I'm Type A, OCD also, lol!!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

In another thread you mentioned that you are sailing on the Carnival Dream in January. Hopefully you'll have it by then and you can check the status here: https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/passports.html According to the US government site routine passport applications are taking 4-6 weeks to process.

Just in case, have a plan B. Is your old birth certificate an official state-issued one? A hospital birth certificate won't be accepted.

You're doing the right thing by getting a passport. Earlier this year an entire family group flew in the same day of their cruise and delays caused them to miss their ship. Because some members didn't have passports they could not fly to the next port. Vacation over, entire fare lost. (No travel insurer pays for not having proper documentation because that is considered within the passenger's control.)

Doesn't look like I'll have a passport by the time I set sail. Someone told me I wouldn't be able to disembark at ports with just a birth certificate, is that true? I am a citizen. My original bc is old and torn so I had to get a newer copy for the passport.

Do you have the new birth certificate in your possession for the cruise?