Why is there such an issue with Navigator embarkation in Miami?

So there have been two threads for the last two Navigator cruises that have departed Miami with reports that the line ups to embark have been huge with big delays.

We are boarding on the 18th and wondering if we need to reconsider what time we arrive. Our documents tell us 11am but is there going to be an issue with every cruise from that port?

We just got off Navigator yesterday. We were at Terminal A which was the tent. Everybody does have to line up outside to enter the tents. It took us about 45 minutes to get into the security tent. There were 6 or 7 ships in port that day is they said that is why we at the dock.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We boarded Navigator on 11/23 and it was very easy. She was the only ship in the port that day however and we were in the very first cruise terminal coming into the port (from the road....sorry, don't know the number/letter).

We got there around 11:00 AM and were on the ship by noon. I was also impressed with how friendly the staff in the terminal was.

I guess it just depends where the ship is in the line, as to what type of boarding experience you will end up with.

Edited by buzzard05

After reading these remarks concerning waiting outside 45 minutes now see why maybe on some ships, in some Ports, on certain dates, Royal requesting cruisers to board by deck and assigned times. Did any of you get an email to board by deck number?? We did for Enchantment when several ships were in port. Enchantment had a line outside as well and parking was an issue.

Edited by troykahack

I know there is a site that lists what ships are docked on each day for the various ports. I would love to find that if anyone knows how/where.

I am set to board Navigator on the 29th of Jan...so knowing how busy the port is that day would be a good indication of what the process will be like and what I can expect and plan for.

I sailed on the Nav on 11/27. We did not arrive at the port until a little after noon. After dropping our bags we were told to park in Garage C. Since my friend and I both have COPD we couldn't walk that far with carryons.

So then we were told to park in Garage G, which is across the the street fom the terminal we were supposed to use. We waited almost an hour for the shuttle back to ship.

Then we stood in a long line outside for 2 1/2 hours. No place to sit down, no toilet facilities. They did give us ice water. This was the most horrendous boarding in 38 cruises. We were given a lot of misinformation.

Once onboard I was very disappointed in the cruise. The menus had changed and were not very appealing. Entertainment was lackluster with the execption of the ice show and the last night.

I'll still sail Royal but not on the Navigator and preferably not out of Miami.

I sailed on the Nav on 11/27. We did not arrive at the port until a little after noon. After dropping our bags we were told to park in Garage C. Since my friend and I both have COPD we couldn't walk that far with carryons.

So then we were told to park in Garage G, which is across the the street fom the terminal we were supposed to use. We waited almost an hour for the shuttle back to ship.

Then we stood in a long line outside for 2 1/2 hours. No place to sit down, no toilet facilities. They did give us ice water. This was the most horrendous boarding in 38 cruises. We were given a lot of misinformation.

Once onboard I was very disappointed in the cruise. The menus had changed and were not very appealing. Entertainment was lackluster with the execption of the ice show and the last night.

I'll still sail Royal but not on the Navigator and preferably not out of Miami.

Just curious, did you get a email from Royal asking you to board by deck number?? Anyone?? Might this have helped the boarding issues??

Thank you

I know there is a site that lists what ships are docked on each day for the various ports. I would love to find that if anyone knows how/where.

I am set to board Navigator on the 29th of Jan...so knowing how busy the port is that day would be a good indication of what the process will be like and what I can expect and plan for.

cruisett.com

Navigator Of The Seas, Carnival Splendor, Disney Magic and Norwegian Getaway on January 29th.

Just curious, did you get a email from Royal asking you to board by deck number??

I am boarding 23 Dec. I did not get an email or letter but in the Cruise Docs there is a schedule that indicates assigned boarding times, by deck.

It advises that if you are in a Suite, if you purchased air travel through ChoiceAir (or whatever it's called these days) and are arriving day of sailing, or if you purchased ground transportation through RCCL, you are invited to board any time between 11:30 and 4:00.

Since we are both in a Suite and arriving by air in Miami very early on sail day, we will be at the Port well in advance of 11:30. I will not be a cappy hamper if I have to wait outside or in a tent.

It has been a while since I've sailed out of Miami. Is there a Suites line for Security in MIA or does the "priority boarding" only apply after you've gone through Security ? I know both Port Canaveral and Port Everglades have Suites security lines but I can't remember if Miami does or not.

Just curious, did you get a email from Royal asking you to board by deck number?? Anyone?? Might this have helped the boarding issues??

Thank you

Nope - boarding Friday and have had no such communication. Sounds to me like an isolated situation due to the number of ships in port. I am expecting a smooth process Friday!

I am boarding 23 Dec. I did not get an email or letter but in the Cruise Docs there is a schedule that indicates assigned boarding times, by deck.

It advises that if you are in a Suite, if you purchased air travel through ChoiceAir (or whatever it's called these days) and are arriving day of sailing, or if you purchased ground transportation through RCCL, you are invited to board any time between 11:30 and 4:00.

Since we are both in a Suite and arriving by air in Miami very early on sail day, we will be at the Port well in advance of 11:30. I will not be a cappy hamper if I have to wait outside or in a tent.

It has been a while since I've sailed out of Miami. Is there a Suites line for Security in MIA or does the "priority boarding" only apply after you've gone through Security ? I know both Port Canaveral and Port Everglades have Suites security lines but I can't remember if Miami does or not.

Our letter came about 5 days before both two cruises. Didn't get one for Serenade but we were the only ship in port.

So, you like the idea of boarding by deck number with Suites and P's first along with the other transfers you mention?

Come back and let us know if you get an email from Royal "asking" you to board at a certain time.

Edited by troykahack

I'd be interested also, as I'm cruising on the N on Feb. 3rd. Also, I have a 10:30am flight when we disembark and the RCL check-in tells me the earliest I should book flight is 11 am. I've had 10am flight in FLL and had no trouble--just wondering if the flight time is a problem from MIami.

Nope - boarding Friday and have had no such communication. Sounds to me like an isolated situation due to the number of ships in port. I am expecting a smooth process Friday!

Looking at the port calls, you have four ships in port.

Edited by troykahack

I'd be interested also, as I'm cruising on the N on Feb. 3rd. Also, I have a 10:30am flight when we disembark and the RCL check-in tells me the earliest I should book flight is 11 am. I've had 10am flight in FLL and had no trouble--just wondering if the flight time is a problem from MIami.

Four ships in the port on your day.....

Thank you

No email or text was ever received. When we stood outside for 2 1/2 hours it didn't matter which deck or C&A level you were.

cruisett.com

Navigator Of The Seas, Carnival Splendor, Disney Magic and Norwegian Getaway on January 29th.

With only 4 ships in port that day, I am guessing Navigator shouldn't be bumped to the tent, therefore it should be a fairly normal boarding process?!

The longest wait I ever experienced was in FLL....felt like cattle waiting to board Independence. Wasn't a great experience for a cpl first timers that had joined us. I know it can happen, but usually its the exception to the rule in my experiences so far.

Time of boarding is listed on the set sail pass.

For the people asking about an email. My friend and I sailed on the Navigator leaving on 11/27 and we did receive an email to arrive at the port by deck number, with times given for each deck. However, when the ship arrived that morning, they were asked to dock at Terminal A, which does not have a permanent terminal, only tents. RCI doesn't have control over where the port authority chooses to put them. I'm sure it creates huge delays for the cruises disembarking that morning. Then, everyone for our sailing was arriving at a VERY busy Port of Miami. When we arrived at about 11:30, there was a line outside. Yes, it sucked to have to wait outside, but it was not RCI's choosing. We were on vacation, we knew we'd be getting on the ship soon, so we just waited patiently and chose to look forward to our vacation rather than blame RCI or complain about it. It took us a little over an hour to get through the line and onto the ship, everyone was very nice and working extremely hard to expedite the process. It certainly didn't ruin my experience or vacation. In fact, we booked a 9 day on the Navigator for 2018. Can't wait to sail on her again.

What is your opinion on the 10:30 flight time. Also, does Miami have Global Entry?

I wouldn't take a 10:30 flight out.

On Serenade, we were on time to port, but it was raining. There was about an hour delay. We had CL walkoff, it too was delayed, due to baggage issues.

Just before the CL got the call to walk us off, Royal called for the first disembarkation. Their bags were not all there yet.

We had a smooth walk off but now there was a crowed. They wouldn't let them down to the bags, so we had a traffic jam of people. We still had our Gold cards and they got us out of line and let us go down to our bags.

FLL is the only port that allows one to use the Mobile APP. But, if you buy more than $800 worth of stuff, it is useless. We had to end up going thru the declaration line.

As far as Global Entry, now sure.

Edited by troykahack

For the people asking about an email. My friend and I sailed on the Navigator leaving on 11/27 and we did receive an email to arrive at the port by deck number, with times given for each deck. However, when the ship arrived that morning, they were asked to dock at Terminal A, which does not have a permanent terminal, only tents. RCI doesn't have control over where the port authority chooses to put them. I'm sure it creates huge delays for the cruises disembarking that morning. Then, everyone for our sailing was arriving at a VERY busy Port of Miami. When we arrived at about 11:30, there was a line outside. Yes, it sucked to have to wait outside, but it was not RCI's choosing. We were on vacation, we knew we'd be getting on the ship soon, so we just waited patiently and chose to look forward to our vacation rather than blame RCI or complain about it. It took us a little over an hour to get through the line and onto the ship, everyone was very nice and working extremely hard to expedite the process. It certainly didn't ruin my experience or vacation. In fact, we booked a 9 day on the Navigator for 2018. Can't wait to sail on her again.

Thank you for your reply. Wow, you had 6 ships in port that cruise.

We received an email regarding arrival times. Embarkation was the absolute worst we had ever experienced. Speaking with crew, Royal was aware they would be at the make-shift terminal. The fire department arrived and had to reassemble the line of people -the terminal staff seemed clueless. I was most upset the way the elderly had to stand in line for hours and there were no restroom facilities.

We have sailed 6 times on the Navigator before and loved everything about her; however this sailing has definitely darkened our view. The crew seemed unhappy-I am almost positive the complaining of a lot of folks the first day set that tone. Unfortunately, it continued on throughout the cruise with running out of food items.

Having said that about the 11/27 sailing, we are on the 2nd leg of our B2B and the tone on the ship is much more like I remembered.

Below is part of the noticed we received.

"Please note that the embarkation facilities on Sunday are limited in space, and these appointment times streamline the guest arrival times to avoid delays at check-in:

12:00 PM to 12:30 PM = Deck 12

12:00 PM to 12:30 PM = Deck 10 ...."