Experience-advice A, T & T- internet

cruisegal40

I am leaving on the Escape on Sat. I need internet for my business (real estate agent here). In people's experience, would it be better to purchase an international roaming planning or buy the ships internet package? It's not the cost so much as the reception for me.

I am leaving on the Escape on Sat. I need internet for my business (real estate agent here). In people's experience, would it be better to purchase an international roaming planning or buy the ships internet package? It's not the cost so much as the reception for me.

Buy the ship's internet. The Cellular at Sea data connection is slow and very expensive.

the only option while underway is the ship's wi fi. as such you are at the mercy of their connection speed and how many other people are using it at the same time you are. think dial up in most cases.

it would literally cost you thousands if you tried to do it over your cell phone connection.

Do NOT use your cell data while outside of US waters, turn Roaming Off. You could end up with a Cell bill for $1000's.

Biggest issue is your phone will constantly try to reach out and update apps.... that's Data... don't do it!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I thought you could buy a plan through A, T and T for roaming? My son did something like this when he went to Iceland. It was $40.00? Anyone have more info on that?

I have AT&T and yes you can and I did but you have no idea how much Data just little things use up in Data. I purchased that pkg and used it for back up protection for when I had to turn the phone on in an emergency. I also did use a Texting pkg which was good one to have for sending occasional messages to my daughter at home.

I used the ships internet and checked my email twice a day. In the morning and very late at night. I did this while in Europe and China.

Do NOT use your cell data while outside of US waters, turn Roaming Off. You could end up with a Cell bill for $1000's.

Biggest issue is your phone will constantly try to reach out and update apps.... that's Data... don't do it!

Of course, one can turn off auto-update (for apps) on their smartphone. Likewise, there are settings to manually adjust time zones (rather than use a watch) and select network connects (to use provider packages abroad).

We just finally gave in and purchased new iPhones to replace a 4 and 4s (which have become increasingly useless for app updates we need). Prior to the purchase, we both spent an hour with the best phone guru at our local Apple Store going over every feature change/addition/etc. We bought Apple Care - if for no other reason than to have access to better phone help. At home, we called AT&T and pressed the initial phone rep to connect us to Tier 2 tech support so we could discuss the new phones' pros/cons with use of Microcell (poor service area gadget) vs "wifi calling" (interestingly, even the tier 2 AT&T tech learned something about Comcast ISP from this discussion).

I mention this because I am always amazed by the many questions on CC regarding the most simple adjustments on contemporary cell phones - instruments that may have cost the user as much as $1000 each.

As with a host of other topics, it's clear that many CC posters just don't want to do any real research and homework - even to the point of not seeking out things like answers to illness questions from qualified medical personnel.

With the understanding that it is easier and, perhaps, even more entertaining to constantly read/respond to CC questions that are not "rocket science" (even to a neophyte), I still can dream that basically "lazy" people will someday do their homework. Gee folks - at least use the CC "Search" feature.

Rant over - flame away.

I did search on the NLC thread. Not many replies to others who have asked similar questions. I asked for experience/advice here. Some of us are not as tech savvy as others and may not understand the research.

Everyone thank you for your input.

Much appreciated

You can buy an international roaming package that would cover you while you are in port. I typically try to keep up with work while away too and many bars and restaurants now have complimentary or very cheap wifi. In order to conserve my package data I will use the port bars/restaurants for wifi.

If you really think you need to work for long periods of time while not in port then you really should buy a ship's package as it will be faster (though not awesome) than trying to use your phone.

I did search on the NLC thread. Not many replies to others who have asked similar questions. I asked for experience/advice here. Some of us are not as tech savvy as others and may not understand the research.

Everyone thank you for your input.

Much appreciated

I can see how doing basic research can "challenge" some folks. Nonetheless, most CC posters went to, at least, high school (or college) and should know how to use a search engine (even a really terrible one like what is available on CC).

As an example: I just typed "cellular OR wifi" (without the quote marks) on CC's NCL forum and got a minimum of 500 hits. But, by using the quote marks and capitalizing OR (or AND), I got three hits including this one with a thread of only 30 messages. Took all of 10 seconds on the CC mobile app.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=38495433

In about 3 minutes more, one could've searched far broader and got the exact answer originally sought. Not bragging here- just pointing out again that this is not rocket science.

Now, will most CC posters run out and learn (or try to remember from school days) how to do search engine inquiries the right way? Of course not. But, by the same token, many will still turn to CC for "direction" (more than opinion). In the time it took to write this, one also could've called AT&T international unit for the straight scoop.

Not faulting the OP- just pointing out that there are far more efficacious ways to get a question answered than to analyze all the varying CC responses (to so many different types of questions) and pick a "winner".

Last part of my rant (part B) is for (you guessed it) all the newer cell phone users who need the latest and greatest device: please learn how to use it.

I thought you could buy a plan through A, T and T for roaming? My son did something like this when he went to Iceland. It was $40.00? Anyone have more info on that?

Of course you can. You should always call your cell provider prior to a cruise to get to get an international plan. If you don't, you could wind up with a HUGE cell bill. Then once onboard, do buy a internet package on the ship. This way you can use your phone when in port.

I am not "challenged" by research I am challenged with technology. While not "Not faulting the OP" You are being condescending.

I asked a question. That is what the "ask a question" board is about.

Jeezzzz

Ditto the Challenged by Technology... where the heck is a teenager when you need them!

I am not "challenged" by research I am challenged with technology. While not "Not faulting the OP" You are being condescending.

I asked a question. That is what the "ask a question" board is about.

Jeezzzz

Per your original post, you are a real estate agent. If you know how to use multiple listing services, you cannot be so "technically challenged" that you can't use the search function correctly.

Moreover, web based search engines long ago became a gold standard for basic research. So, if you don't know how to use Boolean search processes ("AND" "OR" et al.), you definitely are "research challenged.

Trying to help you better use the tools available to you is hardly condescending. Reread my posts: they are meant for a broader population of those individuals who'd rather have other folks do the research for them (even if the results are full of misinformation).

BTW, if you call AT&T's international unit, they'll be able to answer all your questions about their "Passport" roaming packages as well as which cruise lines/ships also have their "Connect@Sea" program onboard and which of their newer phones permit "wifi calling." This is important since many of the answers you are getting/will get on CC are based on info related to very limited personal experience and, probably older cellular device capabilities (I.e., no "wifi calling" feature). Further, and this is most important, it is AT&T and/or your cruise line's own tech support who can listen to your needs, means and preferences and suggest a "best way to go" given all the factors.

Good luck with your quest and enjoy your cruise.

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

Some of us may not have the time to "better use the tools available"

You seem to want to keep this going.

Not sure what side of the bed you got up on, but obviously not the right one.

Not sure what your expertise/job was/is but obviously not good side manners.

Yes. I am a real estate agent and also a real estate paralegal for over 30+ years.

I asked a question.

Some of us may not have the time to "better use the tools available"

You seem to want to keep this going.

Not sure what side of the bed you got up on, but obviously not the right one.

Not sure what your expertise/job was/is but obviously not good side manners.

Yes. I am a real estate agent and also a real estate paralegal for over 30+ years.

I asked a question.

You asked a question and that's fine. What's problematic (more often than not on CC) is that the answers you got had their significant share of misinformation (app updating feature, ship's wifi the only option, no cautions about limits of wifi calling [especially if the ship throttles streaming], etc).

As to my manner, and with apologies to Sgt. Joe Friday: "just the facts ma'am."