Drop Off at Station Pier

When we boarded Dawn Princess at Station Pier back in 2013 our taxi was able to drive down the pier and drop us off adjacent to the ship. Can anyone who has embarked in Melbourne recently confirm that this is still the case? It is always a bit of a mess around the pier when ships are coming and going so if the cab driver doesn't know where to go at least I will.

cheers

Stu

Its still the same, but always busy on cruise ship day, if you are able bodied ,you can also take the 109 tram and just walk along the pier and avoid the mess, hand off your bags and onto the ship.

Edited by 6666oz

Allow plenty of time.

When we boarded for Christmas last year they run two queues down the left hand side of the pier, one for taxis and one for private cars. These are then feed into on queue for drop off. They seemed to be allowing two taxis to one private car through. It takes time. We were in a taxi and it took nearly half an hour.

If you can walk from the beginning of the pier, unload before at the roundabout to save time.

Allow plenty of time.

When we boarded for Christmas last year they run two queues down the left hand side of the pier, one for taxis and one for private cars. These are then feed into on queue for drop off. They seemed to be allowing two taxis to one private car through. It takes time. We were in a taxi and it took nearly half an hour.

If you can walk from the beginning of the pier, unload before at the roundabout to save time.

That would increase the taxi fare significantly.

Allow plenty of time.

I was told it's about 600 metres (sorry don't know the yards measurement) to where my friend was waiting with her car-she wasn't allowed to drive in and collect me. 2 of the staff assisted me in disembarking, I did try to climb into the shuttle bus but was too stiff to feel safe, so they took me up in a wheelchair-1 person pushing and the other gentleman managing my 2 suitcases.

Aus Traveiler, that was an area I found out I was wildly underestimating my expenses! I've made careful notes and will allow a 20% "Back Up Fund" for next year for taxi fares.

I'm physically very slow moving, but could manage with the wheeled suitcases strapped to the handles of my walker, 1 either side or 1 to my left and the other strapped in front of the walker so it rolls along as I walk, for disembarking next year. I will also use this method in transferring from the Rex Arrivals area at Tullamarine to the QANTAS check-in counter. I must check with the TA, but I'm hoping to get the earliest flight into Melbourne from my home town, collect the luggage and plod along to the check-in desk to lodge the luggage. I had to put the carry on case in the hold-the computer made it too heavy to be carry on. I managed just fine with 2 walking sticks and being taken directly to the plane by a staff member and handing the walker over before being loading onto the lifter and up into the plane. I learnt the hard way-split lolly bag-to transfer my chewable Kool Mints, chewing works better than sucking barley sugar when flying into a Ziploc bag to carry in my handbag. Travel documents, medications, lollies, make up, sunglasses, mobile phone on flight mode and camera all go in my handbag which stays with me.

I learnt a lot about how cruising will affect my own balance-I slowed down considerably, learnt to get a drink and sit with my crocheting for a quick rest, and keep the little map with me so I could always find the nearest Ladies or Handicapped Toilet. I do walk a fair bit at home, but the Golden Princess nicely tested my stamina and highlighted areas to work on before next November-I'm already counting down the days, and making notes on what to try and do on the next cruise! I've got the Cruising Bug bigtime! :D

Edited by crochetcruise
Edited to add information.

Taxis can drive right in but you may want to walk it anyway as suggested. Private cars were being stopped for pick ups, I would assume they were stopped for drop offs as well.

I've embarked only once in Melbourne but have disembarked three times and on each occasion pick-up from the pier was not available. Our deck is the first to board at 12.00 and we tend to get to the pier early anyway so hopefully our car won't be stuck in a queue for too long....if at all.

cheers

Stu

I've embarked only once in Melbourne but have disembarked three times and on each occasion pick-up from the pier was not available. Our deck is the first to board at 12.00 and we tend to get to the pier early anyway so hopefully our car won't be stuck in a queue for too long....if at all.

cheers

Stu

I am sure you will be fine even if it means walking a little further. I wish you a Bon voyage.

I have embarked several times at Station Pier - the last time 7 days ago. Never had a problem, you are allowed to to be driven onto the pier if you show your ticket at the gate and they guide you around to where you get out. They give you around 2 minutes to get your bag out and say goodbye to whoever is driving you and then they grab your case and you go strait up to the passenger lounge. There may be a delay if the Spirit of Tasmania is loading at the same time but this is not usually the case in the middle of the day or afternoon.

Disembarking is a little bit harder. We got off this morning and had the usual long walk to outside the main gates. However there was plenty of parking spaces free for private pickups near Beaconsfield Parade. Taxis rank is on the pier if that's what you want and you are guided there. All very well organised.

Once again if the Spirit is loading then it becomes a barn dance with each line of traffic taking turns but the traffic is well directed.

Love Station Pier - everything well organised and simple.

What is it like when you visit Melbourne on a cruise. Where is the nearest tram or train to the city, please?

(We have docked there only once many years ago and it was too cold and wet to get off the ship! :rolleyes:)

You walk off the wharf (dry end) and there is a tram stop, end of the line. So, that tram goes to the city.

You need to get a myki card to use for fares. There is a machine that sells them, and allows you to put money on the card.

Edited by Docker123

You walk off the wharf (dry end) and there is a tram stop, end of the line. So, that tram goes to the city.

You need to get a myki card to use for fares. There is a machine that sells them, and allows you to put money on the card.

Hahaha, you sure it's gotta be the dry end, Docker?

Thanks for the info. Will add it to my list. :)

The public transport webpage has information for cruise ship passengers visiting Melb including a special express bus only run on visiting cruise ship days. I am sure there will be people at the terminus with information. I have tried to post the link below.

https://www.ptv.vic.gov.au/news-and-events/events/public-transport-during-the-2016-2017-cruise-ship-season/

Hope you get good weather. We arrived home on Friday to 12 degrees yet it is forecast as 30 tomorrow and hotter on Tues. Typical Melbourne weather. Best of luck with Myki.

Enjoy your visit.

Hahaha, you sure it's gotta be the dry end, Docker?

Thanks for the info. Will add it to my list. :)

They have people selling the myki cards at the terminal for visiting passengers but you can always get them at the shop next to the tram stop as well.:D

You walk off the wharf (dry end) and there is a tram stop

Just to make the instructions a tad more clearer

you walk off the pier, continue walking along the footpath past the car park

cross the road and you will see a building that looks like an old station thats the tram stop, actually its called light rail.

Edited by 6666oz

cheers

Stu

We're on this one as well and have a check in for 12;00 as well. Our flight arrives at 0630. So just going to get taxi straight to the port. Maybe there at 0800. And will just wait.

What is it like when you visit Melbourne on a cruise. Where is the nearest tram or train to the city, please?

(We have docked there only once many years ago and it was too cold and wet to get off the ship! :rolleyes:)

Depending on when you are visiting if you have time you can order MYKI cards online and they will be posted to you. I think I just googled it - the site is PTV (Public Transport Victoria). You can set up an account online and add money. I have seen them selling visitor MYKI cards at the pier though I recall these are more expensive than a regular one.

The 109 goes frequently (every 15 mins or so) and is very convenient though I expect it will pretty busy with people who are doing their own thing in Melbourne. We boarded Golden P last week and took the tram out - wall to wall people on it - though luckily you shouldn't have to cope with people with luggage if it is only a port stop.

On cruise ship days, Victoria Transport has a desk in the cruise terminal selling MYKI cards. The have a Value Pack for visitors. It was quite inexpensive and included all travel for the one day. I am not sure on the price, but I think it was $7.50 each on the concession rate. Concession rates are available for seniors as well as pensioners. There is also a tourist info desk in the terminal.:)

We're on this one as well and have a check in for 12;00 as well. Our flight arrives at 0630. So just going to get taxi straight to the port. Maybe there at 0800. And will just wait.

You must be on the red eye from Perth...horrible flight but bearable if you have a cruise to board. There are some restaurant/ cafes around the area but not sure what time they open. If I see some sleepy looking sandgropers in the 12 o'clock boarding I will say hello. I grew up in Dianella and my partner in Yokine so we are probably related:eek::eek:

Cheers

Stu

You must be on the red eye from Perth...horrible flight but bearable if you have a cruise to board. There are some restaurant/ cafes around the area but not sure what time they open. If I see some sleepy looking sandgropers in the 12 o'clock boarding I will say hello. I grew up in Dianella and my partner in Yokine so we are probably related:eek::eek:

Cheers

Stu

Yes had to take the red-eye, as nothing Sat morning would get us guaranteed there on time. The earliest Sat morning was dept 0800 and arrive 1435. And I think that would be cutting it fine to get to the ship on time, and even worse if delayed.

Although not great for my husband as he works in the Pilbara and would normally have a flight home in the morning (normally no later than midday he's home), but this time his employer has booked them on a flight dept Karratha 1640 arrv Perth 1840. So am hoping there's no delays on that flight. Will have to pick him up, come home swap bags and head back to the airport. May take the 17 and 15 Yr olds out when I pick him up and leave them at airport with there bags, come home and collect ours as can't fit all the luggage into one car and 4 people. It just doesn't work.

Then when we're in Melbourne thinking we'll get a Maxi Taxi. Pity Uber don't have Maxi's. Or do they???

Yes had to take the red-eye, as nothing Sat morning would get us guaranteed there on time. The earliest Sat morning was dept 0800 and arrive 1435. And I think that would be cutting it fine to get to the ship on time, and even worse if delayed.

Although not great for my husband as he works in the Pilbara and would normally have a flight home in the morning (normally no later than midday he's home), but this time his employer has booked them on a flight dept Karratha 1640 arrv Perth 1840. So am hoping there's no delays on that flight. Will have to pick him up, come home swap bags and head back to the airport. May take the 17 and 15 Yr olds out when I pick him up and leave them at airport with there bags, come home and collect ours as can't fit all the luggage into one car and 4 people. It just doesn't work.

Then when we're in Melbourne thinking we'll get a Maxi Taxi. Pity Uber don't have Maxi's. Or do they???

That may be the best solution.

Only UberBlack is allowed to pick up at the airport. So, unlikely to have maxi taxi. UberBlack estimate is substantially higher than regular taxi service to Station Pier.

The ground staff are usually pretty good at getting the maxi taxi for groups with lots a luggage

So maxi taxi it is. Oh well we were prepared for that anyway. Any suggestions on which route is best to take from airport to station pier. As I heard there's roadworks going on on the Tullamarine Fwy, so could make for a slow and costly journey.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums