Just booked a Cuban cruise...so excited!!

PH8

Booked April 30,2017 on Empress out of Tampa.

So excited to go somewhere new!!

I just booked -- got notified via e-mail and signed right up -- April 30 -- thought about Fathom earlier, but glad I held out............. haven't been to Cozumel since 1982 and have never seen Belize so this is a win-win with the inclusion of a full day in Havana.

Waaay back in 1981 on my very first cruise ever (Carnival's "Carnivale" ship built in the 1950s), I said I wanted to see Havana via ship and now all these years later it looks like reality. Bravo!

Totally agree with a number of these positive posts. I visited the old Soviet Union in 1977 and 1985 before the fall of the 'Berlin Wall' and all the major changes in Russia took place. I have no regrets about that and was so pleased to be able to interact a bit with the Russians -- we took little gifts for them and they couldn't wait to meet us on the streets -- everyone agreed it was our governments that were to blame for all the turmoil and not the citizens.

No doubt it is the same with Cuba. The more of us who visit from other locales, the faster improvements will be seen in the lives of the Cuban people. Yes, tourists have gone to Cuba for years from Britain and Canada, etc., but not in the numbers that make much difference. And the accommodations have been so lacking, that not too many WANT to visit via land tour unless they don't mind bad conditions and just want to sit on a warm beach for a few days as is true for Canadians and Brits.

Cruise ships are the best way possible to get an introduction to Cuba and her people right now without waiting for massive hotels, resorts, etc., to be built.

We are not, as tourists, contributing all that much to the current Cuban govt. if we mostly wander around on our own and interact with entrepreneurial Cubans who are selling items of interest to tourists. I'm GLAD we have the opportunity to visit Havana now and can't wait!

Edited by 36kruzes

This is the pin i did for this cruise. If anyone going on the 20 May Cuba cruise wants one let me know before April and I'll add you to the list. Around or less than 5 bucks (my cost) depending on how many I get made. I give them to the crew when I see them doing nice things for the passengers. John Steele gave me an idea how to reward the crew and thought it was a good idea. If you're currently on Empress I still have a few. I wear a T shirt with the same design.

I would be interested in 3. We will be on the 5/20 sailing as well.

Many of you have already said it all about visits to Cuba, and SO WELL! Cuba, here we come!!!!! I was in the old Soviet Union during the cold war -- twice, and THOSE people really were in the dark about the 'western' world. Far from helping the Soviets keep control of citizens, we visitors helped open that place up via our visits and our donations and gifts to the people!

So happy to book a cabin on the Empress -- one of my favorite smaller ships anyway -- this will be my fourth sailing -- other sailings were all in the 1990's.

Edited by 36kruzes

If you do not spend money in government owned hotels and restaurants or on government owned transportation and other services you WILL be putting money into the pockets of the Cuban people by spending your tourist dollars in the thousands of privately owned and operated businesses. There are now 240 types of businesses allowed to operate in private hands. YES they must pay taxes, but every business in the United States pays taxes as well. There are currently thousands of these private businesses operating legally in Cuba.

Take a private cab, check out some reviews of paladares -- privately owned restaurants and bars. Do some shopping at locals stores.

If you do the big government or foreign owned hotels and places you are putting a large percentage of your dollars into the Castro regime but the privately owned, family owned places are creating a growing, vibrant middle class that will one day do a heck of a lot more for the Cuban people than a fifty plus year old political vendetta of an embargo.

Do some research into the growing entrepreneurial spirit and culture in Cuba. .

Do some research how open agricultural and manufactured goods trade between the United States and Cuba will create millions of dollars and thousands of jobs on our shores and make serious improvements in the lives of the Cuban people. If done correctly time will pass as the Castro regime has to bend with the times as long as we allow the times to change.

Of course everyone is free to go or not to go, but it is nice to know we the American people can finally make our own decision.

OMO

bosco

YES ^^^^^ You said it all --- Cuba here we come!!!!!

If you do not spend money in government owned hotels and restaurants or on government owned transportation and other services you WILL be putting money into the pockets of the Cuban people by spending your tourist dollars in the thousands of privately owned and operated businesses. There are now 240 types of businesses allowed to operate in private hands. YES they must pay taxes, but every business in the United States pays taxes as well. There are currently thousands of these private businesses operating legally in Cuba.

Take a private cab, check out some reviews of paladares -- privately owned restaurants and bars. Do some shopping at locals stores.

If you do the big government or foreign owned hotels and places you are putting a large percentage of your dollars into the Castro regime but the privately owned, family owned places are creating a growing, vibrant middle class that will one day do a heck of a lot more for the Cuban people than a fifty plus year old political vendetta of an embargo.

Do some research into the growing entrepreneurial spirit and culture in Cuba. .

Do some research how open agricultural and manufactured goods trade between the United States and Cuba will create millions of dollars and thousands of jobs on our shores and make serious improvements in the lives of the Cuban people. If done correctly time will pass as the Castro regime has to bend with the times as long as we allow the times to change.

Of course everyone is free to go or not to go, but it is nice to know we the American people can finally make our own decision.

OMO

bosco

How do you get a private taxi or private NON governmental chosen areas without breaking US Law. It is a People to People policy only. Go outside those bounds and you are in violation of policy??

There is a certain group of people lately who are increasingly boycotting everything from Star Wars to Hamilton and more just to defend some nonsensical belief. I agree with your thoughts 100%. It seems a little hypocritical to turn a blind eye to China, Russia, etc. when 1) citizens are oppressed 2) cruises go there but hold Cuba to a different standard.

Education is the key to empowerment and transformation and hopefully enabling the country to move forward like this, learning and having an open dialogue will lead to progress.

You left out the NFL and it's having an impact on them. Haven't heard about Star Wars.

Edited by troykahack

How do you get a private taxi or private NON governmental chosen areas without breaking US Law. It is a People to People policy only. Go outside those bounds and you are in violation of policy??

You are as unaware of the NEW policies and lessening of the U.S. regulations by the office of Foreign Assets Control as so many people are unaware of the changes in Cuban laws since 1996.

You can walk the streets of Havana, visit schools, have lunch or diner, attend concerts, check out art exhibits or just meet with a family and discuss the weather. Taking a private 1950's style cab is not my cup of tea, I would love to just see them, but there is NOTHING IN THE O.F.A.C. rules that stops you from eating LOCAL or doing anything in private venues. You can now even bring Cuban products, like Rum and Cigars back to the States, in limited amounts. Hire a 55 Chevy to take you to a concert, to see a local farm, medical center, school or a tour to see the architecture of Havana. ALL LEGAL. IF THE CRUISE LINE OFFERS TOURS DO THEM, but if you do some reading from recent tourists from the U.S. you will get some REAL INFORMATION.

THOUSANDS of small businesses, hair salons, shoe repair, plumbers and on and on, are not in certain districts, they are where the people live, in the tourist areas, in the rural areas, how about taking a boat out to do some fishing and experience the Hemingway way of life, LOL.

Just don't lay on a beach all day drinking rum as that would be not what is intended by the new regulations but also would be a waste of a great oportuinty.

A lot has changed and you can even request you passport to be stamped if you want.. The rules are very loose and easily satisfied.

bosco

Edited by boscobeans

How did you do that? I don't see any option to hold... Trying to do that now...

Use a travel agent.

Funny thing.....normally this far out,an agent can hold a cabin for a few days......not with these.......you can hold one but deposit is due the same day!!:eek:

Shoot I want to go to Cuba and the dates that have been released don't work for me. So sad! Plus Nordic Empress was the first cruise and first cruisehip i had ever been on. I saw her in Cartegena a couple years ago under the then owners flags and when I heard RC brought it back...I can't imagine a more memorial cruise than to Cuba on my "first" cruiseship....add some more dates RC!!!!

Edited by conwakr

We are so exicited leaving April 30. While I may not agree with the Government there I'm going. There are a ton of places I have traveled to that I didn't care for the laws and Government but I have still gone. I can not wait to see Cuba before it gets ruined and all Americanized.

I am sorry if I am being negative but I have been holding on to my emotions & cannot hold on anymore. I understand that everybody has their own opinions but please respect mine.

Coming from a Cuban-American family that had to literally leave Cuba with nothing when the dictator Fidel took office & took (that is correct, just took) all of my families possessions(houses, clothes, jewelry, everything!). I get so mad when individuals want to go to Cuba & give our hard owned money to this government dictatorship. Luckily they were able to come to the USA back then and were able to get their lives back on track & give myself & my brothers a very good life in the U.S.A.).

Also, I just read on MSN.com the other day that the locals in Cuba are having a food shortage now with certain items/staples because all the food is going to the hotels & the tourist areas first. The locals are struggling to find food. Just why we cannot give anything to this dictatorship.

Thank you for letting me rant & please understand that these are my opinions as a son of a Cuban-American family

I am with you. My mother and her family escaped Cuba with the clothes on their backs and little else. All of their property? Gone. All of their money? Gone. Homeland? Gone as they knew it. This is NOT ancient history. It is very close to home for millions that are now proud citizens of this great country, the USA.

I feel that the general public is very ill informed of the history and circumstances that surround the Cuban revolution and the current state of affairs there. Tourism will only help the dictators and those in power. In many cases, it only hurts the local people. Pay rates are controlled by the government. The average citizen makes $36 per month.

I don't resent those who wish to travel there. However, I will not go and spend one cent there until they are a free country with truly fair and free elections. For those who want to go, just go. However, PLEASE understand what you are doing and who exactly you are helping (the communist government) by going there, for goodness sake.

And for those that say they don't want Cuba "ruined" by it becoming developed, please just stop saying that. You sound so ignorant and selfish to those whose lives have been affected by the horrors of the Castros. The people there are desperately poor. Any improvement to the economy there will benefit millions of lives. Having buildings that aren't crumbling, having enough food to feed one's family, and earring a living wage will not "ruin" Cuba. Please educate yourself on how hard day-to-day life is for the average Cuban.

Edited by khm1

I am sorry if I am being negative but I have been holding on to my emotions & cannot hold on anymore. I understand that everybody has their own opinions but please respect mine.

Coming from a Cuban-American family that had to literally leave Cuba with nothing when the dictator Fidel took office & took (that is correct, just took) all of my families possessions(houses, clothes, jewelry, everything!). I get so mad when individuals want to go to Cuba & give our hard owned money to this government dictatorship. Luckily they were able to come to the USA back then and were able to get their lives back on track & give myself & my brothers a very good life in the U.S.A.).

Also, I just read on MSN.com the other day that the locals in Cuba are having a food shortage now with certain items/staples because all the food is going to the hotels & the tourist areas first. The locals are struggling to find food. Just why we cannot give anything to this dictatorship.

Thank you for letting me rant & please understand that these are my opinions as a son of a Cuban-American family

I totally respect your opinion/point of view. I am a Canadian, and as such have been able to travel to Cuba. I never have done so due to facts you have mentioned, and others -- and will not travel there.

I am with you. My mother and her family escaped Cuba with the clothes on their backs and little else. All of their property? Gone. All of their money? Gone. Homeland? Gone as they knew it. This is NOT ancient history. It is very close to home for millions that are now proud citizens of this great country, the USA.

I feel that the general public is very ill informed of the history and circumstances that surround the Cuban revolution and the current state of affairs there. Tourism will only help the dictators and those in power. In many cases, it only hurts the local people. Pay rates are controlled by the government. The average citizen makes $36 per month.

I don't resent those who wish to travel there. However, I will not go and spend one cent there until they are a free country with truly fair and free elections. For those who want to go, just go. However, PLEASE understand what you are doing and who exactly you are helping (the communist government) by going there, for goodness sake.

And for those that say they don't want Cuba "ruined" by it becoming developed, please just stop saying that. You sound so ignorant and selfish to those whose lives have been affected by the horrors of the Castros. The people there are desperately poor. Any improvement to the economy there will benefit millions of lives. Having buildings that aren't crumbling, having enough food to feed one's family, and earring a living wage will not "ruin" Cuba. Please educate yourself on how hard day-to-day life is for the average Cuban.

I think some will be genuinely surprised by the lack of infrastructure. It's not the paradise that some want to think. I have a friend whose family (father was high up in the gov when Castro took over) were able to get out to the US and lost everything. It was not pretty.

DH and I will not be going for a couple of reasons. Just because Fidel is gone does not mean anything has really changed. I think anyone who thinks they will be helping the general population is dilusional. Other countries never blocked travel there and their money has made zero difference. Why do some think so arrogantly that them going there is going to be different?

I think some will be genuinely surprised by the lack of infrastructure. It's not the paradise that some want to think. I have a friend whose family (father was high up in the gov when Castro took over) were able to get out to the US and lost everything. It was not pretty.

DH and I will not be going for a couple of reasons. Just because Fidel is gone does not mean anything has really changed. I think anyone who thinks they will be helping the general population is dilusional. Other countries never blocked travel there and their money has made zero difference. Why do some think so arrogantly that them going there is going to be different?

You are exactly right. There will be nothing changing just because Fidel is dead. He hadn't been in power for many years. The rest of the world traveling there has had little impact on the economy except to prop up those in power.

Also, few people know that there are TWO currencies. The one that the tourists and government workers use is worth many times the one reserved for the common folk. It is ILLEGAL to have US dollars even though there is an underground economy. If you try to tip in US currency, it is most of the time confiscated by the government. There is a network of secret police that have infiltrated the society. The people are largely unable to circumvent the system.

Comparing Cuba to other communist countries is also ridiculous. There is nowhere on earth quite like Cuba. The have been able to, by geography, turn the island into a communist prison.

I can not wait to see Cuba before it gets ruined and all Americanized.

While I see the US having an impact, I don't see this happening anytime, soon. The rest of the world have been able to go there for years, and there are already resorts that are notable. While we are closest, unless we increase the tourism by a massive amount, not much will change.

Unless Havana or some other port becomes as popular as another major port, where there's +3000 passengers every other day hanging around, there's no need for shops like Diamonds International and whatnot. Let alone, the shops probably won't be that welcome given the import/export rules for Cuba.

Look at the ports in the Dominican Republic. That's what I would expect for many years in Cuba.

One other thing- will Cuba be Americanized? That, specifically, I don't see. While the actual citizens may not hate us, they also don't want to ever lose who they are. So even if you see a McD's someday there- it will be more like Puerto Rico in terms of keeping their identity- likely more.

Having been involved in some ways with this Cuba vs The U.S.A. issue from the late 50's I find it totally amazing that the same mindset exists in so many today as it did then.

Did Castro and his bonding with Russia create a world of problems for so many people and produce thousands of executions? YES !

Did almost SIXTY (60) years of a politically driven vendetta, called the "Embargo" do ONE SINGLE THING to get rid of the Castro regime, bring back any of the milk that was spilled, improve in ANY WAY the lives the PEOPLE of Cuba or did it in any way steer us in a course towards friendly relations with the largest country in the Caribbean just 90 miles to our South? NO !

The total abandoning of Cuba and its people, forever, because it is a Communist country, ruled by a Castro or any same thinking successor will continue unless there are changes.

The lessening of government regulations HAS AND IS a change for the better, no way it can be dismissed, it is a POSITIVE change and thousands and thousands of families are prospering, becoming a vibrant middle class.

If a sensible change in how we regulate or policies towards Cuba, not making it one of our MOST FAVORED NATIONS, but treating it and its people a little less like a Rabid Dog , just might go a long way in improving things.

Just like anything the power of the almighty dollar rules (WHETHER IT IS THE U.S. DOLLAR, THE CUC, THE CUP OR THE MONEDA NACIONAL). Tourist dollars and the taxes, port fees and other associated revenue they produce will go a long way to open the eyes of those in power, more so than the continuation of a SIXTY year old failed policy.

This is NOT a political argument, but it is how the economics of cruising can go a long way in expanding our world and making it a better place.

What do we have to lose? If things don't improve we can CHOOSE ON OUR OWN not to go.

bosco

Edited by boscobeans