Anthem - Port of Bayonne luggage mess on our return

TeeRick

I'm not sure if they were having a bad day yesterday or if this is normal for Cape Liberty/Bayonne. We had a "2" luggage tag and the earliest departure (7AM) from ship after the carry-off passengers. To our disappointment our luggage was not there. There were many in the terminal with the same issue and it was just a mess. It seems that there was no order or priority to the luggage delivery off the ship. Carts were coming out with mixed tag numbers so they were not sorted in advance. If Royal Caribbean goes through the trouble of assigning tag numbers and departure times then they should be entirely coordinated with the port process. Our luggage was "2" and it arrived a full hour later with a cart with luggage labeled "47", and "1". There were a lot of Suite Passengers and Pinnacle members who were still waiting when we left. A number of people were complaining about missing flights. Normal for NJ or just a bad day? We have been on many cruises in multiple ports and never experienced this NJ mess before.

Sorry to hear that ... What time did the ship arrived/docked and was actually cleared to disembark ? with the priorities given, etc. as you mentioned 1 hour later.

Was the problem unloading from the ship - as that's ship terminal/pier operations with the unionized folks and getting them inside ? Was CBP running special/extra screening & pulling random inspections behind the scene ? Sometimes, it's beyond cruiseline's direct control and if ship was "early" - could be staffing issues not anticipated. Any announcements or explanation from RCL rep's in the luggage hall area.

What're the flight times for those who missed their flight out of the area airport(s) ?? One of the few reasons we generally (like the cruiselines) don't advise folks to book late morning flights as that's rolling the dice.

BTW, slightly off-topic, JFK Airport is running a full-scale emergency/disaster training exercise this morning until noon, with first responders converging but "minimal" disruptions to pax services expected ... got SMS alert yesterday, but.

It sounded like the mess was a one-off type of situation, not necessary a bad day for everyone ... sometimes, it could be for good reasons, just that you and I nor the cruise ship have any "control" over it. Nowadays, I'm told EWR airport would be subject to random VIP motorcade getting priorities with moving roadblocks on the access roads and frozen zone ... all thanks to the POTUS-elect & preference for executive protection (and, Lincoln Tunnel being gridlocked at the evening rush hour recently to a practical standstill for a while.)

I'm not sure if they were having a bad day yesterday or if this is normal for Cape Liberty/Bayonne. We had a "2" luggage tag and the earliest departure (7AM) from ship after the carry-off passengers. To our disappointment our luggage was not there. There were many in the terminal with the same issue and it was just a mess. It seems that there was no order or priority to the luggage delivery off the ship. Carts were coming out with mixed tag numbers so they were not sorted in advance. If Royal Caribbean goes through the trouble of assigning tag numbers and departure times then they should be entirely coordinated with the port process. Our luggage was "2" and it arrived a full hour later with a cart with luggage labeled "47", and "1". There were a lot of Suite Passengers and Pinnacle members who were still waiting when we left. A number of people were complaining about missing flights. Normal for NJ or just a bad day? We have been on many cruises in multiple ports and never experienced this NJ mess before.

Are you sure you were not at Port everglades this morning? lol

similar thing happened to us.........capped off a not so great cruise on Royal Princes.

I also was yelled at by a guy for looking at my suitcase! told me I could receive a 3000.00 fine???? Good god what a mess !!!

Happy to be home hope you r also :)

Edited by Reader0108598

Sorry to hear that ... What time did the ship arrived/docked and was actually cleared to disembark ? with the priorities given, etc. as you mentioned 1 hour later.

Was the problem unloading from the ship - as that's ship terminal/pier operations with the unionized folks and getting them inside ? Was CBP running special/extra screening & pulling random inspections behind the scene ? Sometimes, it's beyond cruiseline's direct control and if ship was "early" - could be staffing issues not anticipated. Any announcements or explanation from RCL rep's in the luggage hall area.

What're the flight times for those who missed their flight out of the area airport(s) ?? One of the few reasons we generally (like the cruiselines) don't advise folks to book late morning flights as that's rolling the dice.

BTW, slightly off-topic, JFK Airport is running a full-scale emergency/disaster training exercise this morning until noon, with first responders converging but "minimal" disruptions to pax services expected ... got SMS alert yesterday, but.

It sounded like the mess was a one-off type of situation, not necessary a bad day for everyone ... sometimes, it could be for good reasons, just that you and I nor the cruise ship have any "control" over it. Nowadays, I'm told EWR airport would be subject to random VIP motorcade getting priorities with moving roadblocks on the access roads and frozen zone ... all thanks to the POTUS-elect & preference for executive protection (and, Lincoln Tunnel being gridlocked at the evening rush hour recently to a practical standstill for a while.)

Ship arrived 5:30 AM. I cannot really figure out what the behind the scenes issues were. CBP did not seem to be the problem. No announcement from Royal C at all. Their agents were trying to be helpful but seemed pretty exasperated so if I had to guess it was poor coordination with the port workers. But who knows? I would like to believe that this is not a normal occurrence for Port Liberty - that's why I'm asking here about what others have experienced.

I have never had a problem like this at Cape Liberty. Hopefully this was an exception. Would be curious to know the cause.

I have cruised from Cape Liberty many times over the years with RCCL and Celebrity: never had a problem. I walk off with my luggage and either taxi or RCCL shuttle to EWR. I take the train. Dec. 9 we were getting into the cab at

6:39AM; arrived EWR 7:20AM. Smooth as silk!! And yes, that is why when flying, you should never book flights prior to 12Noon even though when flying from Seattle, WA, back to Phila., PA in 2012, returning from an Alaska cruise, I booked my flight 11:30AM, but had back up plan B and C, as usual. I walked off the ship at 8AM. No problem making the flight. Sounds like some folks cut it a little too close....If flight was prior to Noon, they should have walked off luggage in tow. Whenever people travel, we always have to allow for something, whatever that is!!! Good luck next time.. See you in May 2017 on Anthem.....

NewJersey222 :):D;)

I have never had a problem like this at Cape Liberty. Hopefully this was an exception. Would be curious to know the cause.

Same for us for 4 cruises out of NJ.. Must have been an "off" day for them as we've never experienced any issues.

I have cruised from Cape Liberty many times over the years with RCCL and Celebrity: never had a problem. I walk off with my luggage and either taxi or RCCL shuttle to EWR. I take the train. Dec. 9 we were getting into the cab at

6:39AM; arrived EWR 7:20AM. Smooth as silk!! And yes, that is why when flying, you should never book flights prior to 12Noon even though when flying from Seattle, WA, back to Phila., PA in 2012, returning from an Alaska cruise, I booked my flight 11:30AM, but had back up plan B and C, as usual. I walked off the ship at 8AM. No problem making the flight. Sounds like some folks cut it a little too close....If flight was prior to Noon, they should have walked off luggage in tow. Whenever people travel, we always have to allow for something, whatever that is!!! Good luck next time.. See you in May 2017 on Anthem.....

NewJersey222 :):D;)

The problem was not with passengers walking off with their luggage. It was the delivery of checked luggage to the baggage area and lack of coordination with the order of the tags (ie, low numbers delivered first).

I had assumed that passenger luggage was staged onboard and that the crew was responsible for the order in which the bags were offloaded from the ship. This would mean that the issues experienced were not the fault of Cape Liberty shore staff.

Am I mistaken?