Formal night

jp98

I love formal nights! I know some people think its out dated and old fashioned but i love it. I'm wondering if formal nights on msc will be slightly more formal since more cruisers are european? Anyone have pictures they would like to share? I'm cruising with a newbie and want to give her some sort of reference for packing.

Sent from my LGLS996 using Forums mobile app

I have some photos of the clothes I wore on Cunard... http://cruisingisntjustforoldpeople.co.uk/2016/11/08/cunard-dress-code-what-to-wear/

MSC isn't as formal but I wore the same outfits on both (or very similar!) The difference really was that it was strongly enforced on Cunard and not so much on MSC. The photos might still be useful though! Maybe...

I think it's easier for women, so much easier to dress up or down an outfit with jewellery and things :)

Have a fabulous time!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

First Formal Night

P3180066_zpsaxyqigwv.jpg

Second Formal Night

IMG_1872_zpstjfues80.jpg

We had been on an MSC cruise previously and felt a bit under dressed on formal night, so on this cruise we went all out. Most men in YC had tuxedos ( the minority in lounge suits), and the ladies all looked spectacular in cocktail dresses and other wear.

Elsewhere on the ship it seemed only the ladies made a big deal of it.

I love formal nights! I know some people think its out dated and old fashioned but i love it. I'm wondering if formal nights on msc will be slightly more formal since more cruisers are european? Anyone have pictures they would like to share? I'm cruising with a newbie and want to give her some sort of reference for packing.

Sent from my LGLS996 using Forums mobile app

Yes they are more formal then other cruise lines.

You will see the full range of what different cultures and societies regard as formal wear, from tuxedos and little black dresses, to traditional ethnic dresses from the Far East and Asia. The daily has dress suggestions for each evening not just for formal nights.

Hi all,

We have never sailed with MSC before, and we would like to know how formal dress is on Christmas Eve / Christmas Day? Do many men wear black tie? I guess ladies just dress up so not a bother but I'm just wondering if I should pack my hubbies suit. Thank all and merry christmas.

Hi all,

We have never sailed with MSC before, and we would like to know how formal dress is on Christmas Eve / Christmas Day? Do many men wear black tie? I guess ladies just dress up so not a bother but I'm just wondering if I should pack my hubbies suit. Thank all and merry christmas.

Evening Wear (black tie) for men on these special nights would be appropriate IMHO. Being Scottish NYE or Hogmanay is an important event for me!

Real formal wear on MSC Gala nights amounts to perhaps 5% of the guests and they are mostly British. The majority of men wear a dark suit on winter itineraries and maybe a lighter color during the summer months. Ladies usually wear cocktail dresses or a smart pant suit. Unfortunately another 5% will show up with very casual clothing. As long as you're not in shorts, tank tops, flipflops, etc., it's doubtful you will be turned away.

Obviously if you want to wear a tuxedo or long gown, you're perfectly free to do so. With airline weight restrictions most guests travel lighter.

Edited by Capricruiser

We have sailed in the Divina Yacht Club three times. Those who have responded that you can dress as you please on formal nights is correct. On formal nights in Le Muse, the YC restaurant, most men wore suits or sport jackets (with and without ties), with only a few tuxes. Some wore shirts with open collars and slacks and a few even showed up with jeans. All were allowed to eat there. My wife, who loves to dress up, always wore nice dresses.

If you don't want to participate in formal nights, are you still allowed to eat in the dining room or are you forced to eat at the buffet?

Kim

The dress code is stated by MSC as being "Advisory" and is definitely not compulsory, so if you don't want to participate you don't have to. However most people make some effort even if it is only smart casual. In Europe you would be turned away from the MDR if you tried entering in a T-shirt and shorts but other than that anything will be accepted.

Personally I always go for the full dinner suit, just because that is the brutish thing to do, (as someone says in an earlier post its the British that wear formal dress on these occasions )

Pete

The dress code is stated by MSC as being "Advisory" and is definitely not compulsory, so if you don't want to participate you don't have to. However most people make some effort even if it is only smart casual. In Europe you would be turned away from the MDR if you tried entering in a T-shirt and shorts but other than that anything will be accepted.

Personally I always go for the full dinner suit, just because that is the brutish thing to do, (as someone says in an earlier post its the British that wear formal dress on these occasions )

Pete

A very BRUTISH thing to wear a suit???????? Yes I suppose we British had to be brutish at times (i.e. The British Empire), but surely not on "Formal Night"?

A very BRUTISH thing to wear a suit???????? Yes I suppose we British had to be brutish at times (i.e. The British Empire), but surely not on "Formal Night"?
:D:D:D:D

like your sense of humour an I'm pleased that a typo ? (or maybe autocorrect ? provided you with some mirth

Pete

Edited by Skier52

:D:D:D:D

like your sense of humour an I'm pleased that a typo ? (or maybe autocorrect ? provided you with some mirth

Pete

Shouldn't it be myrrh at this time of the year??

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app