Carry On Size Restrictions?

pullen0

I'll be leaving out of San Juan. I'll try sending an email to celebrity to see what the size restrictions are there.

I have a 7 hour layover on my return flight and want to check the bag so I can leave the airport without having to drag a bag around. I figure if I'm going to pay to check it, I might as well bring a bigger bag.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'll be leaving out of San Juan. I'll try sending an email to celebrity to see what the size restrictions are there.

I have a 7 hour layover on my return flight and want to check the bag so I can leave the airport without having to drag a bag around. I figure if I'm going to pay to check it, I might as well bring a bigger bag.

I would do the same instead of schlepping the bag wherever I go. More convenient.

Three things. First, as others have said, any restriction is going to be the "throat" of the X-ray machine. The X-ray is onboard, every time you board your backpack/purse/camera bag etc all go through the X-ray, just like with TSA before a flight. San Juan vs. NY or Miami or Barcelona doesn't matter; it is all about the onboard x-ray scanner.

Second, given your plans, I would suggest that you stick with the medium size as you planned, then let Celebrity check it & load it for you. Carry a small shoulder bag to schlep your valuables, medications etc on board with you.

Third, I suggest you check with your airline. If your layover is before you depart San Juan, you may have a problem. I haven't noticed when flying out of San Juan, but most airlines in most locations will NOT let you check your bags more than a few hours before your scheduled flight. Usually 2 hours in my experience. So that component of your plan may not be workable, and you may need to go back to square one.

What I have seen others do in San Juan is to take a day-tour through the ship. The luggage goes off to the airport and is waiting there for you to check it in when you finish your Rain Forest excursion or whatever.

Edited by GottaKnowWhen

You know you can bring the bigger bag and just drop it off with the porters? It will be brought to your room. I prefer to drop everything with them and just bring on a book bag/tote bag cause you have to carry it with you till the rooms are opened.

I fly out of San Juan and have a 7 hour layover in Miami. The plan is to leave the airport for a few hours to go eat. That's why I want to check all bags at San Juan.

I sent an email to Celebrity last night to see what there size limitations are. From all my reading here, I need to bring a carry on with at least a change of clothes and swimsuits for each person in case my luggage doesn't make it to my cabin.

I fly out of San Juan and have a 7 hour layover in Miami. The plan is to leave the airport for a few hours to go eat. That's why I want to check all bags at San Juan.

I sent an email to Celebrity last night to see what there size limitations are. From all my reading here, I need to bring a carry on with at least a change of clothes and swimsuits for each person in case my luggage doesn't make it to my cabin.

I'm confused (not the first time today!)...What does the size of your suitcase have to do with carrying it onto the ship, vs checking it when you fly home?

What I consider to be a "medium" size suitcase will fit through port scanners that we have been through.

(and a small note to what someone mentioned before...at embarkation port, your bag does NOT go through the scanner on the ship, it goes through a scanner before you check in at the port...at least in every port we have cruised from.)