Almost "freaking out" about Navigator and upcoming cruise

lucywestie

So bit of background. Cruised on Serenade in 2007 and Sapphire Princess in 2011. Thats it for our cruising background.

We leave on Saturday for a b2b on Navigator and between all the ongoing threads (not necessarily the live thread that is up right now) and reviews it seems that the ship is one cruise away from the scrap yard.

We loved our first two cruises (also b2b's, we dont do things by half) and this up coming cruise is a reward to ourselves for a really busy year. So am I just reading a bit of mass hysteria from a few ticked off cruisers. Can I expect major problems when we attempt to embark on Sunday (5 ships in port).

We are pretty low key travellers. Our dining expectations are more Olive Garden and Longhorn than your Michelin starred places!

I have been anxious for about a week and couldnt put my finger on it, but then as if struck by lightening (in the middle of my 12 hour nightshift tonight) I had an epiphany. Its the cruise.

So am I stressing over nothing? Do I need to stay off these boards for the next two days? Am I just over thinking everything...

Edited by lucywestie

Yes, yes and yes. Ships have an effective life much longer than the Navigator is in service. The ships go into dry dock every few years.

Navigator is probably nearing it's turn for a drydock. Also there are some people who love to complain. Don't worry about it and enjoy your vacation.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'm in the same boat and am on a little 5 day in Jan. This will be my first time on RCI and there is a pretty long and consistent pattern of negative reviews on Navigator.

But it will be warm. My wife and I love to chat, read, play pass the pigs, backgammon and cribbage, so if the entertainment sucks, we will just entertain ourselves.

We also bought the beverage package, and I expect that we will find at least one or two good bartenders that we can frequent and support and just stay buzzed for 5 days, if needed.

We also booked the 2 night dinner package for the first 2 nights dinners at a pretty good rate to let the dining room warm up before we visit and sriracha sauce on anything is pretty good in any condition by day 3.

Finally, I figure my wife and I can survive and thrive in almost anything, and I can't imagine the the Navigator is that bad that I'll have to ruin my liver with liquor and my stomach with hot sauce, but I will if I have to:).

So bit of background. Cruised on Serenade in 2007 and Sapphire Princess in 2011. Thats it for our cruising background.

We leave on Saturday for a b2b on Navigator and between all the ongoing threads (not necessarily the live thread that is up right now) and reviews it seems that the ship is one cruise away from the scrap yard.

We loved our first two cruises (also b2b's, we dont do things by half) and this up coming cruise is a reward to ourselves for a really busy year. So am I just reading a bit of mass hysteria from a few ticked off cruisers. Can I expect major problems when we attempt to embark on Sunday (5 ships in port).

We are pretty low key travellers. Our dining expectations are more Olive Garden and Longhorn than your Michelin starred places!

I have been anxious for about a week and couldnt put my finger on it, but then as if struck by lightening (in the middle of my 12 hour nightshift tonight) I had an epiphany. Its the cruise.

So am I stressing over nothing? Do I need to stay off these boards for the next two days? Am I just over thinking everything...

Omg everyone quit stressing over your nav upcoming cruise. She was just refurbished awhile ago and is clean and beautiful. We had a great great time. The cruise is what you make of it. Go and have fun. Get to the port early. We did and we were on the boat by 12:30 having lunch..even though later there was a 2 hour line. The drink package is GREAT. Loved being able to get any Starbucks coffee free...pop...any drink . Service in any bar was great . No idea where all of this negativity comes from..geez..the only thing I'd suggest is to splurge on a specialty restaurant like chops as we didn't and I wished we would have as the mdr food wasn't greatest but we never went hungry . Not sure what people expect. I loved the ship . Our room was great and big too. Room 6528 with a balcony. Any questions..maktiller@aol.com . Go and enjoy this great ship.

Yes, yes and yes. Ships have an effective life much longer than the Navigator is in service. The ships go into dry dock every few years.

Navigator is probably nearing it's turn for a drydock. Also there are some people who love to complain. Don't worry about it and enjoy your vacation.

She was in dry dock in 2014, should be sometime in 2019 before she goes into

dry dock again

Starbucks coffee is free with the drink package? All starbucks drinks included?!

Yes with the deluxe drink pkg...ALL Starbucks drinks are free! Look for the drink pkg in your cruise planner as it often goes 20-30% off before your cruise.

I'm in the same boat and am on a little 5 day in Jan. This will be my first time on RCI and there is a pretty long and consistent pattern of negative reviews on Navigator.

But it will be warm. My wife and I love to chat, read, play pass the pigs, backgammon and cribbage, so if the entertainment sucks, we will just entertain ourselves.

We also bought the beverage package, and I expect that we will find at least one or two good bartenders that we can frequent and support and just stay buzzed for 5 days, if needed.

We also booked the 2 night dinner package for the first 2 nights dinners at a pretty good rate to let the dining room warm up before we visit and sriracha sauce on anything is pretty good in any condition by day 3.

Finally, I figure my wife and I can survive and thrive in almost anything, and I can't imagine the the Navigator is that bad that I'll have to ruin my liver with liquor and my stomach with hot sauce, but I will if I have to:).

Now that's the attitude!! You will love it!! If you like the specialty restaurants after trying your two..you can always purchase more on board . They give discounts on the ship too. Enjoy! You are gonna have a blast on the nav. Enjoy the drink pkg..it's awesome. We tried so many new drinks that we usually don't try..... because we could... they were free... lol. Go to trivia in the schooner bar..a lot of fun to try.there is shuffleboard on deck 4 too.

I could care less about the negative reviews as I've seen similar reviews on some of the ships I've sailed and it was no comparison. We booked her for Mar 2018 and we can't wait to be part of the ABC tour. We go in with the mind set to have a good time and outside the ship sinking, we will have a good time. :D

I have sailed Navigator twice over the last decade, and the most recent was this past June. The ship is in great condition. She now has a flowrider which makes her even better.

Our cruise last June was a very good one. We had a great time. We took a first time cruiser with us, and she has now booked additional cruises.

Your cruise history is short, so you are not jaded. Unlike many of the people who sail from Florida. My guess is you will love the Navigator. I like sailing out of Miami, because I enjoy visiting the freak show that is South Beach before or after a cruise. You really do need to visit Ocean Drive one night just to experience it.

JC

I realize that it's been almost 2 years since my navigator cruise - but it was absolutely stunning and gorgeous and we loved every minute of it!!

I don't think that there are very many reviews for the ship since its return to the Carribbean - read CruiseLifeRicks review and nothing else! It is a balanced review and not just a vent session!

Here's your roll call for December 18th:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2300700

Not many people on it but I'm sure they will welcome you and help with your concerns!;) We are booked on Navigator for March, 2018 with lots of friends and are really looking forward to the A-B-C 9-night itinerary!!:cool: I've had cruises better than others but never a bad cruise!!:D Don't sweat the small stuff and have a great cruise!!;)