Carnival Layoffs, making 200 US IT Employees train their replacements in India

fttravel

I for one refuse to support companies that are offshoring jobs from American workers. I have just reached Platinum level with Carnival but I will not sail on them again until they reverse this decision. You can write this off all you want as a business decision, but the livelihood of American workers are at stake here. If you can't stand up for the Carnival workers now, who do you think is going to stand up next time when it your job on the line? I urge all of you to boycott Carnival, including all of their brands, until bring these workers back. Respond here on this blog as well as to Carnival directly so that they can see what they are losing. It worked, to some extent, with Disney, and it will work with Carnival. I'm willing to pay a little more on another cruise line or reduce the amount of cruising I do in order to help my neighbor.

Lol!! Good one. Platinum you say? All those cruises/days cruised, and you decide just today to join CC and post this. As has been stated several times here, this sort of outsourcing has happened and likely will continue with many american based companies, and oh, just so happens the company I work for has outsourced many more jobs than the 200 Carnival is moving, no one standing up for our jobs, particularly no one in response to a rant on a message board. Chances are you typed this on a device made by a company that has outsourced jobs...you've boycotted that company...stopped using that device..cautioned others that use that device to boycott that company?

R How soon will there be more robotics "working" in Wendys, McDonald's and similar?

Just as soon the minimum wage becomes too onerous for the entry level type jobs that a robot will do without slacking, getting orders consistently wrong and being surly to the customers.

I for one refuse to support companies that are offshoring jobs from American workers. I have just reached Platinum level with Carnival but I will not sail on them again until they reverse this decision. You can write this off all you want as a business decision, but the livelihood of American workers are at stake here. If you can't stand up for the Carnival workers now, who do you think is going to stand up next time when it your job on the line? I urge all of you to boycott Carnival, including all of their brands, until bring these workers back. Respond here on this blog as well as to Carnival directly so that they can see what they are losing. It worked, to some extent, with Disney, and it will work with Carnival. I'm willing to pay a little more on another cruise line or reduce the amount of cruising I do in order to help my neighbor.

Being Platinum you don't seem to have a problem sailing on a foreign flagged ship filled with foreign workers that was built in a foreign country traveling to foreign countries leaving your money in those countries?

Just sayin....

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Being Platinum you don't seem to have a problem sailing on a foreign flagged ship filled with foreign workers that was built in a foreign country traveling to foreign countries leaving your money in those countries?

Just sayin....

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Exactly, the entire US cruising model is built on using cheap foreign labor to provide an economical vacation experience from US ports. That these 200 jobs are the tipping point is ludicrous.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

When Disney tried to do something similar last year, it was the public outcry that made them partially reverse their decision.
In the Disney case, they were actually planning on outsourcing to a firm that relies heavily on H1-B visas, so the jobs would remain in the US, just at a lower cost due to how much less outsourcing firms hiring mostly H1-Bs pays their staff. The OP makes this sound like the replacements will actually be located in India.
... so they can train their replacements in India.
If that's the case, it sidesteps the highly-charged H1-B problem, leaving only the off-shoring problem which has had less attention by the media.

It also isn't clear whether Disney actually hired back the laid-off workers or not.

Edited by bUU

Just as soon the minimum wage becomes too onerous for the entry level type jobs that a robot will do without slacking, getting orders consistently wrong and being surly to the customers.

Already happening in some places.

Companies are businesses ... and not charities.

o

Believe it or not the world is made up of more than Americans Carnival employ people from lots of different counties. Here in the UK they have a office in Southampton which I am fairly sure employee people that live in the UK. Carnival is like all big company's it is spread out all over the world.

I need to clear up some factually inaccurate statements.

What Carnival is doing is totally different than what Disney did. Disney brought in immigrants using the H1B employment rules. The Disney employee had to sit next to and train Disney's new immigrant employees. After being fully trained, the job of the established higher paid employee was terminated. Very few of these jobs were sent overseas. No out sourcing was done. What Carnival did is what Eli Lilly did about six months ago. True out sourcing. That is contract with an outside company to provide the IT support and closing the department. Both still cost American jobs and this trend needs to stop, include closing the H1B loophole.

Full disclosure: I own large shares of both CCL and DIS. I am also a Disney Platinum Plus Annual Pass-holder. Also WDW is one of my large accounts I call on. I can tell you many DIS employees are upset about this whole IT issue.

Edited by CruiseHealing

Both still cost American jobs and this trend needs to stop, include closing the H1B loophole.
Americans feel this strongly only in the abstract. When individually given the choice between doing right by people and paying more versus ignoring the impact on people of paying less, Americans more often than not choose to pay less. This scurrilous duplicitousness has generally prevailed over even the most bombastic oaths to change things, so much so that these days no reasonable person should allow themselves to be duped into believing such cynically offered (non-)promises.

I need to clear up some factually inaccurate statements.

What Carnival is doing is totally different than what Disney did. Disney brought in immigrants using the H1B employment rules. The Disney employee had to sit next to and train Disney's new immigrant employees. After being fully trained, the job of the established higher paid employee was terminated. Very few of these jobs were sent overseas. No out sourcing was done. What Carnival did is what Eli Lilly did about six months ago. True out sourcing. That is contract with an outside company to provide the IT support and closing the department. Both still cost American jobs and this trend needs to stop, include closing the H1B loophole.

Full disclosure: I own large shares of both CCL and DIS. I am also a Disney Platinum Plus Annual Pass-holder. Also WDW is one of my large accounts I call on. I can tell you many DIS employees are upset about this whole IT issue.

The point is that outsourcing happens all the time

Out of curiosity, would you provide us a list of companies you are currently boycotting for this reason? Surely Carnival is not the first one to prompt you to action, In fact I'd bet there are more "American" corporations (Fortune 500) out there that have outsourced jobs than there are that didn't. What car do you drive, who's your telephone provider? Curious to see which of these has not outsourced jobs.

Out of curiosity, would you provide us a list of companies you are currently boycotting for this reason? Surely Carnival is not the first one to prompt you to action, In fact I'd bet there are more "American" corporations (Fortune 500) out there that have outsourced jobs than there are that didn't. What car do you drive, who's your telephone provider? Curious to see which of these has not outsourced jobs.

Inquiring minds want to know :D