A couple of Celebrity Rants

Hlitner

The issue I think with these upcharges is that one pays for ones evening meal or otherwise as part of the base cruise fare. One is then asked to pay a premium to dine in Tuscan for example which is touted as the Italian steak restaurant and then is again asked for a further upcharge for a steak. One has to wonder when will it end.

It will end when people stop paying and/or stop dinning there. As consumers, we have a lot to do with prices; thank goodness it is a choice to pay extra or totally not dine there at all. I love economics and opportunity cost!!!! Quite simple IMHO and a great concept to teach children early in their lives...sometimes we forget how much control we really have.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by Lastdance

You mean like these meats in the Oceanview on Equinox last month?

IMG_1835_zpsrluacywk.jpg

Below, that's the corned beef on the far left. Or what they refer to as corned beef. :eek: Then moving right, turkey, ham, mystery & salami.

IMG_1836_zpsy3rg93dq.jpg

A closer look.

IMG_1837_zps8cxbspqp.jpg

The bottom right is the corned beef, then ham on the left. Top left is salami and the crew member didn't know what type of meat the top right was.

Gross looking and worse in person....

Am I in trouble!

We will be doing a B2b for 21 days and all I ever eat for lunch is a salad. If there is no lettuce' date=' How will I make one?[/quote']

You can bring lettuce on board.

But of course if there is any left over, customs will not let you bring it back into the States.

:p

It will end when people stop paying and/or stop dinning there. As consumers, we have a lot to do with prices; thank goodness it is a choice to pay extra or totally not dine there at all. I love economics and opportunity cost!!!! Quite simple IMHO and a great concept to teach children early in their lives...sometimes we forget how much control we really have.

For my family of 3 on a 7 night cruise, the only food and beverage money they got out of us was $19 for an appetizer and sushi roll in Sushi on 5 and $4 and change for a gelato sandwich from Cafe Bacio. No drink packages either. I refuse to pay their inflated prices. The things I did buy were actually reasonable compared to land based restaurants.

You mean like these meats in the Oceanview on Equinox last month?

IMG_1835_zpsrluacywk.jpg

Below, that's the corned beef on the far left. Or what they refer to as corned beef. :eek: Then moving right, turkey, ham, mystery & salami.

IMG_1836_zpsy3rg93dq.jpg

A closer look.

IMG_1837_zps8cxbspqp.jpg

The bottom right is the corned beef, then ham on the left. Top left is salami and the crew member didn't know what type of meat the top right was.

That "mystery" meat at the top right looks like a deli meat product my Mom used to buy when we were kids - back in the 1960's, it was called pressed ham, pretty much a bunch of ham ends and scraps pressed into a loaf. It doesn't taste bad per se but the texture was always kind of wonky to me. As far as I remember, I was never a fan. That might not be the same product but it sure looks very similar. On a positive note the ham, salami and corned beef look okay. The corned beef looks pretty lean. Not Boar's Head quality but sandwich worthy.

Edited by galensgrl

The issue with wine service, in Blu or the MDR, can be a bit frustrating. But we follow a very simple rule. We do not order any food until we have our wine. The waiters quickly understand and usually make sure we quickly get the Sommelier in Blu or pours in the MDR.

Hank

GREAT suggestion! Thank you.

Boar's Head.....no. But HAL used to have pretty decent Pastrami, corned beef, roast beef and salami. But they have recently changed over to pre-made sandwiches...which is a real bummer for those of us who cruise that line.

And by the way, as an ex New Yorker we want Katz's pastrami and salami :).

Hank

Did you have to mention Katz's Deli? Darn you, Hank. Now I'm going to be craving their pastrami like crazy, and I don't have time to fly to NYC right now. This is torture. :)

So, how can we get Celebrity to change Sushi on 5 to Katz's?

Edited by TravelKnitter

Never had the pleasure of Katz's. BTW, did you hear that the Carnegie Deli closed for good on December 31st?

Such great memories. So sad. Katz's is still our favorite, though. Thank goodness, they're still there.

Edited by TravelKnitter

Did you have to mention Katz's Deli? Darn you, Hank. Now I'm going to be craving their pastrami like crazy, and I don't have time to fly to NYC right now. This is torture. :)

So, how can we get Celebrity to change Sushi on 5 to Katz's?

The only way would be to buy the cruise line and fire Queen Lisa. :D

Edited by ChucktownSteve

A long-time Celebrity fan here but I must admit that on our recent Eclipse cruise we found the lunch buffet to be lackluster, at best. It was clear X had decided to ditch quality and go for quantity instead, since with few exceptions, options were not only the same everyday but they were particularly unappealing to the eye. Pots of hot food placed on ceramic warmers were the worst offenders - despite signs to the contrary, everything looked the same. At the very least, a few melon sculptures, some bread art and a few attractively plated trays a la yesteryear might have helped to make things a bit more appealing, if not tastier.