Room service tipping

zeppgirl

So why should OP be penalized for paying for a suite. Food services on all other cabins are covered under the auto gratuity system but suites get to pay so much more they should tip till it hurts? I had a suite and didn't tip extra but to each their own.

There is no auto gratuity system.

Yes, but the food is delivered by your butler. Your butler delivers food to you, automatically, every afternoon, not only on request. Your butler services your suite at least twice a day, every day. Our last butler would bring the afternoon treats, then would deliver a special treat each night while we were at dinner (2 dozen shrimp cocktails, plates of chocolates, cakes, etc.). So,,, it is a lot easier to tip your butler at the end of the cruise, not when you "catch him" delivering food.

What I was trying to say was if someone brings food to your cabin, tip. If you are in a regular cabin, tip the person who brought it. If you are in a suite, mentally add it to the total you give at the end of the cruise.

I had a suite and didn't tip extra but to each their own.

LOL....so you stiffed them. Great job, pat yourself on the back.

This is another of those "just because you want it to work that way does not mean it does in real life". You pay the service charge just like everyone else on the ship because many of the services are shared. However, in a suite, you are provided with a more personal level of service which is one on the main perks. Those servers, such as the butler, aren't included in the DSC and the custom is to tip them accordingly. You can stomp your feet and claim otherwise, but that does not change reality.

Edited by ray98

Let me throw this out there for the sake of discussion on a cold, icy Saturday morning. If you are staying in a suite at what point does it stop being expected service that comes along with the high price of your fare to going above and beyond a good reasonable tip for the Butler? What services should the butler provide that doesn't expect an additional tip?

Disclaimer: I have no dog in this fight just wondering what others opinions are.

SI had a suite and didn't tip extra but to each their own.

In other words, you left no tip at all.

You stiffed the hard working crew who served you to make your cruise a memorable experience.

I bet you walk out of restaurants without leaving any tips too. Horrible!

Let me throw this out there for the sake of discussion on a cold, icy Saturday morning. If you are staying in a suite at what point does it stop being expected service that comes along with the high price of your fare to going above and beyond a good reasonable tip for the Butler? What services should the butler provide that doesn't expect an additional tip?

Disclaimer: I have no dog in this fight just wondering what others opinions are.

It appear that some tip is usually expected, like if a waiter takes your order and brings food, while they may not be great, some tip would be expected. Sounds like extra services that would add to the baseline tip would be room service, dining in suite, customizing snacks, setting up for a party.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Do you just walk out of a restaurant without a tip. Is it expected that your waiter bring you water? Do you expect them to Serve you food? Get you a dessert? Do you just stiff them because they are doing what is expected of them?

Do you just walk out of a restaurant without a tip. Is it expected that your waiter bring you water? Do you expect them to Serve you food? Get you a dessert? Do you just stiff them because they are doing what is expected of them?

I think you missed my point. In a restaurant everyone is paying the same price. Not so on a cruise ship. People in the Haven are paying ~ twice the price with a perk that includes a butler.

So, again..at what point is the butler beyond doing the expected duties included in your fare and starts doing "above and beyond" extra tip duties?

It's a given that they should be given a standard tip in the Haven, at least in my opinion.

I think you missed my point. In a restaurant everyone is paying the same price. Not so on a cruise ship. People in the Haven are paying ~ twice the price with a perk that includes a butler. So, again..at what point is the butler beyond doing the expected duties included in your fare and starts doing "above and beyond" extra tip duties? It's a given that they should be given a standard tip in the Haven, at least in my opinion.

I think that you are missing my point in that the Butler and Concierge get NO tip unless you give them a tip. They get a base salary and nothing else. They do not get any from from the daily service charge.

Same as the waiter in the restaurant. They get a base salary. unless you tip them, that's all they get.

We stay in suites several times a year. I understand what my butler does for me. How many times a year do you stay in a suite?

I think that you are missing my point in that the Butler and Concierge get NO tip unless you give them a tip. They get a base salary and nothing else. They do not get any from from the daily service charge.

Same as the waiter in the restaurant. They get a base salary. unless you tip them, that's all they get.

We stay in suites several times a year. I understand what my butler does for me. How many times a year do you stay in a suite?

LOL...I don't have to stay in a suite to know how the system works and you still didn't answer the question. I'm off to watch the Blues game. Have a good night.

On a recent cruise we were not impressed with the butler-- our snack requests were not honored he brought whatever all the suites were getting that day, did not answer the phone a couple of times and did not follow thru on a room temp issue, he got 100. we did not use the concierge and all she did was try to suck up to those in the biggest suites she got less

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

By chance was that Rommel?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Forums mobile app

The room steward cleans the room, stocks towels, etc just like a normal room. The DSC is slightly higher to cover the extra square footage. The butler takes care of anything else to do with the room - room service, canapes, problems with the stateroom, etc. The butler brings canapes & snacks several times a day to each stateroom. For me, this is part of what I paid for in the suite. Any requests I personally make are what I tip for. Just like the concierge - if I use the concierge, I tip. If I don't use them, I don't. Generally I'll end up tipping the butler $50-$100 for a 7-night sailing, depending on usage.