Norway winter excursions

ModestlySublime

Hi!

We are doing the November northern lights cruise.

In terms of excursions I want sure what to expect in terms of price for this region? We would like to do the husky sledding, reindeer sledding and searching for the lights.

I also wondered if anyone had done these before and whether the husky sledding was better in Tromsko or Alta?

Any advice appreciated as this is our first cruise since childhood.

Hi!

We are doing the November northern lights cruise.

In terms of excursions I want sure what to expect in terms of price for this region? We would like to do the husky sledding, reindeer sledding and searching for the lights.

I also wondered if anyone had done these before and whether the husky sledding was better in Tromsko or Alta?

Any advice appreciated as this is our first cruise since childhood.

Sorry can't be of much help re prices, We did the Northern lights cruise on Oriana in March 2014, We did the ice hotel, Sommeroy island The prices were probably not too bad otherwise we wouldn't have booked them. As for the Northern lights, The trip was going to be (If memory serves) £172 each to go and sit in a cold (minus 25c) field, We opted to stay on board and Captain Camby turned all the lights off on the top deck and we had brilliant views of the Northern lights and were able to pop in to the buffet for hot chocolate. So not only did we see and photograph the lights we saved £344 too. This was in the port of Alta.

We did one of the excursions "In search of the Northern Lights" on our cruise on Oriana in March 2014 from Alta and was lucky enough to have a fantastic experience of the lights we didnt "sit in a field" we were taken to an outdoor centre miles from anywhere where there was a huge tepee with a real fire, hot chocolate and local cakes. There was also an indoor cafe and a very small souvenir shop. It was cold but you would expect that in Alta in March at midnight and we paid less than £150pp less your Peninsular Tier discount if you have any. The other night we were berthed in Alta we saw no experience of the Northern Lights from the ship at all and people we spoke to said that the night we were on the excursion they saw the Lights from the ship but not as specrtacular as what we saw from the photographs I showed that we took. A great experience and one that was well worth the money and shall never forget BUT and its a big BUT as you know seeing the Northern Lights is a natural phenomenon and there are no guarantees that you will see them either on the ship or the excursion but your chances are better on the excursion. The company that organise the excursion dont just drive you and dump you "in a field" the week before they monitor the weather and prospects of best place to take you, of which they have various places, and you have a talk in the theatre in the prior to excursion about the lights and where they are taking you and best way to take photographs.

Edited by majortom10

We did one of the excursions "In search of the Northern Lights" on our cruise on Oriana in March 2014 from Alta and was lucky enough to have a fantastic experience of the lights we didnt "sit in a field" we were taken to an outdoor centre miles from anywhere where there was a huge tepee with a real fire, hot chocolate and local cakes. There was also an indoor cafe and a very small souvenir shop. It was cold but you would expect that in Alta in March at midnight and we paid less than £150pp less your Peninsular Tier discount if you have any. The other night we were berthed in Alta we saw no experience of the Northern Lights from the ship at all and people we spoke to said that the night we were on the excursion they saw the Lights from the ship but not as specrtacular as what we saw from the photographs I showed that we took. A great experience and one that was well worth the money and shall never forget BUT and its a big BUT as you know seeing the Northern Lights is a natural phenomenon and there are no guarantees that you will see them either on the ship or the excursion but your chances are better on the excursion. The company that organise the excursion dont just drive you and dump you "in a field" the week before they monitor the weather and prospects of best place to take you, of which they have various places, and you have a talk in the theatre in the prior to excursion about the lights and where they are taking you and best way to take photographs.

Hi Majortom10,

It's good to get the views of someone who actually went inland to view the lights and from what you say it was obviously better than from the ship. Is there a link where we can see your photos? I tried to put a couple of mine on here that I took from he ship but for some reason they wouldn't upload. I think the other thing that put us off booking the trip was, as you have said, it's a bit of a lottery as to whether you will see the lights or not. My apologies that my description of the trip wasn't very accurate, it was two years ago and I must have got that impression from somewhere. Anyway thanks for putting the record straight. Happy cruising.

I was on the same cruise at Major Tom and can recommend the night tour to see the lights. Yes, it was expensive but no light pollution at all and the journey there was magical through the frozen landscapes. I also did the reindeer sledging and afterwards we were given hot coffee and dried reindeer meat in a Sami laarvu whilst they spoke about the life and sang some of heir songs to us - wonderful.

RgPKpY88lTfW_CJC95_ube9W9gIPNs7tGhQEqmyCAp22rHeXA00HzgRjOvfdPD9ZJHKshFFHG5ONPIk=w2112-h1189-no

nz1De7GWfZ7rEvcd5x2z4fk2C_mwTXeO1Jo0E_eenYE2aViwFqB1USvcx3jn3sk2AbT7iJJcQeEYyhI=w2112-h1189-no

Edited by Host Sharon

I posted all my Northern Lights here

https://get.google.com/albumarchive/114801993219771801790/album/AF1QipNTvm4_BPATO0LmTHoM_sZjWs3wki7iVXaz5rsU

The first ones were taken from Oriana at Tromso and the rest at Kautokeino. You can see the noticeable difference without the city light pollution.

Edited by Host Sharon

We are on Oriana in Feb doing this trip. And have spent 1300 pounds on excursions. But no skidoo ride. We had to draw the line somewhere! But we are doing just about everything else in all the ports. Looking forward to this trip very much indeed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi Simon,

We will be on Oriana in Feb too :) Less than 8 weeks to go and, with Christmas over, I am really starting to get excited.

I have some physical limitations that stop me from doing a lot of the trips - no dog or reindeer sledging, no skidoos, no ice hotel - but we have booked the excursion in hope of seeing the lights one night.

Fingers crossed that we are lucky!