do we need suits anymore

binzer2604

I do not take a suit, dress shirt, tie etc. for over five years. DW does not take

the gear either. We gave it up for lent about six years ago and never went back.

We discovered that we enjoyed packing light and staying casual far more than we did dressing up for a few hours on two or three evenings.

Strictly casual and we have passed on the MDR on formal nights. Next cruise perhaps we can attend once more.

The worst thing about Evening Chic is (a) "polo shirts" (yes, pet peeve, the worst thing to happen in haberdashery in centuries) (b) all the dumpy guys standing around the grand foyer in shorts and tees ogling. If you're not going to participate, go somewhere it's socially acceptable, don't be a creeper.

The worst thing about Evening Chic is (a) "polo shirts" (yes, pet peeve, the worst thing to happen in haberdashery in centuries) (b) all the dumpy guys standing around the grand foyer in shorts and tees ogling. If you're not going to participate, go somewhere it's socially acceptable, don't be a creeper.

You do realize evening chic only applies to the Main Dining Room, nowhere else on the ship.

we had at least four in "seasonal suits with ties" (look them up at macy's...really wild). .

On a cruise last winter there was a guy wearing a different one of those EVERY night. On day one he looked funny and amusing. After that he looked like an idiot......:D

Call us (DW and moi) contrarians but we still enjoying dressing up on our cruises. On our recent Eclipse cruise we decided to dress truly formal (I had my Tux and DW and some formal dresses) and we had a lot of fun. What was surprising was how many others did dress-up....even in Blu where smart-casual is always the dress code. When we would go to the Martini Bar around 6...a majority of the folks were dressed quite nice. While there is no need to dress-up....we almost get the feeling there has been some backlash to the elimination of formal nights. Go figure. And we did see one formal Kilt....and the question still remains....what do they wear under that Kilt :)

Hank

Use your patent leather shoes & get a reflection of what's there or not there under those kilts!

On a cruise last winter there was a guy wearing a different one of those EVERY night. On day one he looked funny and amusing. After that he looked like an idiot......:D

Yes, we saw them at Macy's this past weekend. Yes, you're right, it does make one look like an idiot!

We are glad to just wear nice, casual clothes every night for dinner. Gone are the days of two formal nights (tux or dark suits) and two semi-formal nights (sport jacket and slacks) on a 7 day cruise. I do admit that it felt classier on those nights, but that is just too much luggage to deal with nowadays.

I have seen a surprising number of men in suits or sport coats on evening chic night, but it is definitely not required. I agree that the less luggage the better. If DH doesn't care to wear a jacket I also see no need to haul around any more luggage than I need to (regardless of my athletic ability:))