Gem moving to New Orleans in 2018

fstuff1

• 2 weeks later...

No Bob...I did not see this.

Thanks for the information.

So I guess the Breakaway will continue the long 14 day cruises in January 2018 which is when I usually cruise. At least I hope so. :)

I'm going to check the NCL website.

Don

This is disappointing. While I can appreciate fellow members being pleased to sail on the GEM from other locations, this leaves those of us in the NE with nothing but mega ships. The GEM was, in my opinion, at about 2200 passengers a good size; not too small (like the HAL Veendam), but certainly not with a capacity larger than the enrollment of many well known universities. And I do not know if it is because of the size of the ships, but the convenient 9/10 day cruises are being eliminated for 2 week voyages. To each their own, but having been to these islands numerous times, I don't really need to visit 4 more islands, each one looking exactly like the one before it. Work, kids schedules - all that comes into play now.

I was just on the Dawn for the Christmas cruise and the hotel director, Alain mentioned that the port of NOLA requested a larger ship, looks like it is coming. .

Edited by Nola26

• 4 weeks later...
This sounds good to me. Since NCL left Houston, NO will be our closest port. We've been on the Jade and Jewel and like that size ship.

Totally agree! I am sailing on the Gem out of New York in May, but will be very happy to have it closer to home. I really miss the Jewel class ships not being in Houston. New Orleans is a good compromise!

This is disappointing. While I can appreciate fellow members being pleased to sail on the GEM from other locations, this leaves those of us in the NE with nothing but mega ships. The GEM was, in my opinion, at about 2200 passengers a good size; not too small (like the HAL Veendam), but certainly not with a capacity larger than the enrollment of many well known universities. And I do not know if it is because of the size of the ships, but the convenient 9/10 day cruises are being eliminated for 2 week voyages. To each their own, but having been to these islands numerous times, I don't really need to visit 4 more islands, each one looking exactly like the one before it. Work, kids schedules - all that comes into play now.

Have to agree, and since Southwest (preferred airline, have massive points) doesn't fly direct to NOLA from Baltimore, it will be awhile before sailing her again after she repositions.