Going on Allure soon, which restaurants are "musts"

DirtDiver

I'll be on the Jan 2 sailing on the Allure, and want to know which restaurants are required must sees? I can't afford to eat at every specialty restaurant, but I do want to experience some. We'll be eating at Giovanni's Table because that's my son's name, so where else should I definitely eat at?

Hi there, we are on the same sailing as you!

Our favorite is Giovanni's. Sabor seems to be a favorite with a lot of people. We haven't tried it yet but are planning to this time. I would probably try Chops over Sabor though.

Are the hot rock plates still available on Allure? For some reason I thought they didn't offer that at Izumi on Allure anymore.

Have a great cruise!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Hi there, we are on the same sailing as you!

Our favorite is Giovanni's. Sabor seems to be a favorite with a lot of people. We haven't tried it yet but are planning to this time. I would probably try Chops over Sabor though.

Are the hot rock plates still available on Allure? For some reason I thought they didn't offer that at Izumi on Allure anymore.

Have a great cruise!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Don't recall seeing Hot Rock either on Allure (May/2016) or Oasis (Dec/2016)

Sent from a mobile device

I think so much is subjective and has to do with your taste and the ages of your party. We just came off Allure. We had a complimentary dinner at Giovannis ( and were a little disappointed. One pasta came out very dry (hard not al dente) and the service was rushed and a bit gruff. Granted we did an 8:30 reservation (per their request) but the restaurant was not crowded and there was no excuse. for less than 4 star service, (maybe because we didn't have to pay for it the waiter thought he wouldn't get a tip...having been a restaurant owner and having a daughter who is a server, we usually over tip...not this time) though the food was fine. We also did Chops which we thought was terrific (especially since we got it at first night done right price of $15 each), thoroughly enjoyed our dinner there. Sabor was a complimentary lunch and we loved it (the guacamole is as terrific as they say and the white sangria is amazing) and as a special pre-birthday treat we did the chef's table; great food, great wine! And because they offered us a great deal onboard we also did 150 Central Park which we also thoroughly enjoyed.

Whatever you choose you won't make a mistake. You're on a cruise. ENJOY!

Edited by mkam2821

I'll be on the Jan 2 sailing on the Allure, and want to know which restaurants are required must sees? I can't afford to eat at every specialty restaurant, but I do want to experience some. We'll be eating at Giovanni's Table because that's my son's name, so where else should I definitely eat at?

We like chops.

If you're a meat eater, Samba was my favorite. Book as the sun is starting to set and you get a great view, minus the folks in the hot tubs. But if someone in the group isnt into copious amounts of animal flesh, its probably not going to be their favorite, even though there is a nice vegetable/salad/seafood bar that comes with it.

Sabor's tableside guacamole was an awesome snack. Its atmosphere is super casual though. Its like eating at a strip mall mexican place, with much better food.

I did Chops on Navigator and Giovannis on Allure. Cant miss? I dont know, but if there is a day the menu in the MDR doesnt have anything that excites, thats when I would go. Just do what I do and choose one of the others the next cruise.:)

We were on the Allure from 11 to 18 and did Chef's Table, Samba Grill, Giovani's Table and Chops Grill. All of them were great, except Giovani's Table, which had a very limited selection for the complementary dinner (food was good though).

I would really recommend Chops Grill (ask to be served by Luis Carmona, great guy!). It was the best, though pricey ($42 pp).

If you're into it, Chef's Table is great. Baba (Somelier, from Turkey) and Romain (Executive Sous Chef, from Jamaica) did a great job and were quite funny! Baba is really passionate about the wines, you'll enjoy it.

We were on the Allure in may, and there was no hot rock cooking in Izumi.

For Izumi, there are two sides on has two teppanayaki grills. The other side is a sushi house experience where you can either sit at the sushi bar or at tables.

In May of this year (2016) on the Allure and last year (2015). We sat on the sushi side at a table, both times the sushi was good, probably some of the best we have had at sea, but the service was lousy, so we will probably not be doing it again in the future. We haven't tried teppanayaki side since we can do it at home for roughly the same price.

I would definitely recommend Sabor's. The tableside guacamole is great and the entrees etc is are of good quality and very reasonably priced. Plus the service was great. Since we were on a B2B we actually ate at Sabor's twice. Once during the first leg and since we enjoyed it so much, we did an impromptu visit during the second leg.

We were on the Allure from 11 to 18 and did Chef's Table, Samba Grill, Giovani's Table and Chops Grill. All of them were great, except Giovani's Table, which had a very limited selection for the complementary dinner (food was good though).

I would really recommend Chops Grill (ask to be served by Luis Carmona, great guy!). It was the best, though pricey ($42 pp).

If you're into it, Chef's Table is great. Baba (Somelier, from Turkey) and Romain (Executive Sous Chef, from Jamaica) did a great job and were quite funny! Baba is really passionate about the wines, you'll enjoy it.

42 dollars for Chops? Used to be 35. Did the price go up or is this the price only on the Allure?

I don't think any qualify as "musts," but they are certainly nice for a change of pace. We thoroughly enjoy eating outside at Giovanni's and listening to the live music in the park. We have not had good experiences at any cruise ship steakhouse so we avoid those (but we are very picky about steak-sooo many great places at home). We ate at Sabor last week on Oasis and enjoyed it. We wanted a casual, wear shorts night but not have to go to Windjammer. We found the service in all dining venues exceptional. Two of our party of 6 are gluten free and the staff really went above and beyond to accommodate.

There's this really cute little place .. its called something like Wind Jammer (?) ...

And whatever you do, make SURE you go right after you get on board the ship on embarkation day. Hardly anyone knows about this place at all so there will be NO ONE there ..I promise. ;) Best time ever !

The coffee will totally knock your socks off ... and make sure to get one of the burgers. You can't miss them. They're in gigantic steam table pans .... you add your own cold sliced process cheese and toothsome (some people say 'stale') bun.

People are all happy and friendly up there! Theres a little Windjammer game people play where they stand over you with their fully laden trays in hand and glare at you and give you dirty looks as you're eating. Its just a fun little game tho .. so just give them a little giggle, a wave and a wink as you slide by them for one more piece of the jiggly neon pink Jell-O mousse squares and a refill on that tasty coffee.

You'll go back again and again ! Windjammer ... remember that. (But Shhhhh!! ;) )

There's this really cute little place .. its called something like Wind Jammer (?) ...

And whatever you do, make SURE you go right after you get on board the ship on embarkation day. Hardly anyone knows about this place at all so there will be NO ONE there ..I promise. ;) Best time ever !

The coffee will totally knock your socks off ... and make sure to get one of the burgers. You can't miss them. They're in gigantic steam table pans .... you add your own cold sliced process cheese and toothsome (some people say 'stale') bun.

People are all happy and friendly up there! Theres a little Windjammer game people play where they stand over you with their fully laden trays in hand and glare at you and give you dirty looks as you're eating. Its just a fun little game tho .. so just give them a little giggle, a wave and a wink as you slide by them for one more piece of the jiggly neon pink Jell-O mousse squares and a refill on that tasty coffee.

You'll go back again and again ! Windjammer ... remember that. (But Shhhhh!! ;) )

You're right! We liked it so much that we never ever went back to it :D

Sabor is fantastic. Good guac, open air atmosphere and good people watching. Aside from one of the Speciality restaurants like Chops, Sabor is my favorite.

Those barbacoa tacos are ridiculous.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk