As of today......RCI drink price increase!!!!!!!

TC38

if you had a drinks package & capped at $13, why would you ever buy a bottle of say kim crawford sauvignon blanc at $64 (minus the 40% discount) for $38.40.... when you can buy it from the glass at $17 - thus paying 4$ difference per glass?

can anyone advise on this, am I missing something?

can anyone advise on this, am I missing something?

there is no monetary reason to do so. If you wanted a bottle to consume on your balcony, without running back and forth per glass, would be the only reason I can think of.

There are a lot of wines you can purchase by bottle that you cannot purchase per glass and this is where the percentage off from the beverage package would be of value.

Yes, they raised the prices and they have done so before (repeatedly it seems in the past few years).

What's new, and why I am following this thread, is that they raised the cocktail and wine prices so that the majority of the bar menu drinks are priced beyond the $12 drink package limit.

I bought my first package ever for my upcoming cruise not because I drink in quantity, but in order to try some of the different drinks onboard that I was hesitant to try due to price. I was really looking forward to the option of an all inclusive package that allows me to try new things and not worry if it's on the menu (such as Diamond drinks during happy hour) or a waste of money. This changes that up. Yes it's just a $1 or $2, but it definitely feels like a bait and switch from the all inclusive package I purchased.

So the responses of various experiences here with the drink package and the new pricing if of interest to me. Flog away :p

Yes, they raised the prices and they have done so before (repeatedly it seems in the past few years).

What's new, and why I am following this thread, is that they raised the cocktail and wine prices so that the majority of the bar menu drinks are priced beyond the $12 drink package limit.

I bought my first package ever for my upcoming cruise not because I drink in quantity, but in order to try some of the different drinks onboard that I was hesitant to try due to price. I was really looking forward to the option of an all inclusive package that allows me to try new things and not worry if it's on the menu (such as Diamond drinks during happy hour) or a waste of money. This changes that up. Yes it's just a $1 or $2, but it definitely feels like a bait and switch from the all inclusive package I purchased.

So the responses of various experiences here with the drink package and the new pricing if of interest to me. Flog away :p

Exactly. First they raised drink prices so people thought the package was a good deal. Then they raise the prices above the max so that the people that bought packages thinking it would cover almost all drinks are now having to lay out an additional $1 or $2 per drink. It cancels out the 20% off "sale".

Edited by dcgrumpy

So RAVENJLS

You don't think this DEAD HORSE has been beaten enough?

Keep whacking away...:confused:

doesnt matter what I think...its not my board and if I dont want to read a thread that I feel has run its course I just skip over it. I dont need to tell other people what, when and how to post.

When we bought our drink packages in August for our upcoming March Allure cruise - it seemed great, as most every wine I'd want was included within the limit. Seeing things like Kim Crawford Sauvignon Blanc and Conundrum at $17 a glass - so $4 over the package limit - is more than aggravating!

Even at high-end restaurants we frequent in the Chicago area - they don't charge $17 for Kim Crawford! For example - at Gibson's Steakhouse, it costs $12, and that's at both the Oak Brook and downtown Chicago locations.

I saw a new sample menu for 150 Central Park on the rccl.com site today. I noticed that their special cucumber martini (aka Central Park Martini) - is $15. That would be $2 over the max on the package. I know I'll try it even though I'll pay the difference.

http://media.royalcaribbean.com/content/shared_assets/pdf/menus/150centralpark_OA_AL.pdf

I saw a new sample menu for 150 Central Park on the rccl.com site today. I noticed that their special cucumber martini (aka Central Park Martini) - is $15. That would be $2 over the max on the package. I know I'll try it even though I'll pay the difference.

http://media.royalcaribbean.com/content/shared_assets/pdf/menus/150centralpark_OA_AL.pdf

It was $15 on Harmony and I paid $2.36 extra.

When my wife and I were on Allure in August, we were not charged extra, even though it was above the drink package limit.

Just off the Allure. They didn't have my favorite bourbon (Basil Hayden) on this ship (they said discontinued) so I used other bourbons for my Old Fashioned. On the last day I noticed two separate $2.36 charges from the Sand Bar. The receipt shown to me at guest services said old fashioned crown royal whiskey. I told them I don't drink that and I never asked for premium liquor. They removed the charges but I would advise to check your bill on the last sea day as always.

One small gripe is signing all of those zero receipts. Usually after a cash tip they stopped but with so many bars it usually happened your first drink.

Also found that at speciality restaurants they would give you nicer when and make the package fit...but it could have been server specific.

They poured heavy on this sailing as well, they drinks were effective

Yours in cruising

But I thought rum raisin was only the type that was not included within the subtext of the aforementioned passage in the verse "all others are not the same" why would a flavor like that be denied it's proper position on the menu alongside its other but highly respected indifference to whom it was mentioned earlier.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have purchased the deluxe package for our April Oasis cruise, but have informed RCL I will cancel if they don't adjust their threshold. So they can make a lot of money from me on the package or very little when I smuggle liquor on for free. I was willing to bite the bullet this time but I'm having reservations. Not liking the nickel and diming when I'm $3300 into this already before I even board. Come on RCL..... I can get a free drink package on Norwegian and the cruise is cheaper and the ship is newer.... wake up!

I have purchased the deluxe package for our April Oasis cruise, but have informed RCL I will cancel if they don't adjust their threshold. So they can make a lot of money from me on the package or very little when I smuggle liquor on for free. I was willing to bite the bullet this time but I'm having reservations. Not liking the nickel and diming when I'm $3300 into this already before I even board. Come on RCL..... I can get a free drink package on Norwegian and the cruise is cheaper and the ship is newer.... wake up!

Sounds like you'll be cancelling the beverage package. Good luck with your smuggling attempt. So when is your next NCL Cruise ? Oh yea, welcome to CC.

Sounds like you'll be cancelling the beverage package. Good luck with your smuggling attempt. So when is your next NCL Cruise ? Oh yea, welcome to CC.

This will be my sixth RCL cruise in a row and was looking forward to the deluxe package for the first time. I just don't get how you pay for the deluxe package upfront, then pay more while on the cruise for "premium" drinks when the markup on liquor is soooo high. Smuggling the liquor is very easy. I feel no guilt for it either knowing RCL is sticking it to the customer every chance they get!

As for my next NCL cruise.... it will be next if RCL quality has decreased like I've read on the message boards. I have friends going at Easter and we'll compare notes. Always loved RCL, but not too loyal to them if they can't be loyal to us!

This will be my sixth RCL cruise in a row and was looking forward to the deluxe package for the first time. I just don't get how you pay for the deluxe package upfront, then pay more while on the cruise for "premium" drinks when the markup on liquor is soooo high. Smuggling the liquor is very easy. I feel no guilt for it either knowing RCL is sticking it to the customer every chance they get!

As for my next NCL cruise.... it will be next if RCL quality has decreased like I've read on the message boards. I have friends going at Easter and we'll compare notes. Always loved RCL, but not too loyal to them if they can't be loyal to us!

It's all about choices. Enjoy whatever you decide.

Usually around $12.

Bob, first and foremost, thank you for your never-ending wealth of information! You're the best.

I've been off the cruise wagon for too long and will return on AOS in November/December. Last I cruised, Royal had a number of packages and I had the Ultimate which is now apparently the Deluxe. But I also remember that someone had prepared a detailed matrix for "break even" consumption for the various packages based on the full price (daily plus gratuity). Have you seen it recently or is it now OBE?

Thanks for any assistance you can provide. It seems that the individual had developed an algorithm for determining whether it was "worth" purchasing the specific packages (and, yes, I can even remember the old Gold/Platinum/ Diamond wine packages and the matrix covered them, too!). :)

VR,

T Lex

Bob, first and foremost, thank you for your never-ending wealth of information! You're the best.

I've been off the cruise wagon for too long and will return on AOS in November/December. Last I cruised, Royal had a number of packages and I had the Ultimate which is now apparently the Deluxe. But I also remember that someone had prepared a detailed matrix for "break even" consumption for the various packages based on the full price (daily plus gratuity). Have you seen it recently or is it now OBE?

Thanks for any assistance you can provide. It seems that the individual had developed an algorithm for determining whether it was "worth" purchasing the specific packages (and, yes, I can even remember the old Gold/Platinum/ Diamond wine packages and the matrix covered them, too!). :)

VR,

T Lex

Which AOS are you on? Allure,Anthem, or Adventure?

Bill

Sent from my SM-G935V using Forums mobile app