Roar an or Costa Maya?

momK

We will be on the Caribbean Princess ABC islands trip 1/28-2/5. We would like to add the 6-day Western either 1/22-28, or 2/5-11 to make it a btb. The "before" stops in Costa Maya, which is new to us; the "after" stops in Roatan instead. Any info that would make me lean toward one or the other?

Hard to say. Depends on what you want to do, which you didn't indicate. The port at Costa Maya is essentially a manufactured theme-parky mall, though it is close to some pretty interesting ruins. But if you're into diving, Roatan would be primo.

Edited by shepp

Both Costa Maya and Mahogany Beach (Roatan) are ports built by Carnival Corp for their ships. Costa Maya is next to Majahaul and a short taxi ride. They have a really nice beach and further down the coast some beach resorts that accept cruise pax. We like grabbing a "taxi" ride to the town and escaping the expensive port. You can get ship and private tours to the nearby Mayan ruins for the history lovers. So we prefer this over Mahogany Beach.

Mahogany Beach also built by Carnival is fairly nice with a beach, shops, restaurants and bars. They have the usual beach rentals. You can do tours out of here either private or ship to resorts, jungle or to the famous west end beach. We now just stay in the Mahogany Beach area, since we have been to Roatan many times. It is very relaxing. Mahogany Beach can accommodate only 2 ships at a time while Costa Maya can take 3 ships.

We will be on the Caribbean Princess ABC islands trip 1/28-2/5. We would like to add the 6-day Western either 1/22-28, or 2/5-11 to make it a btb. The "before" stops in Costa Maya, which is new to us; the "after" stops in Roatan instead. Any info that would make me lean toward one or the other?

We like Costa Maya. It's touristy at the port. You then can take a short shuttle to the shore side village, where there are shops & lots of food. We enjoyed the "Krazy Lobster" restaurant. The food is very good & reasonably priced.

I love Costa Maya. We take a short taxi or shuttle ride to Majahaul and wander down the malecon until we find a spot that appeals to us, and then just settle in. We are in and out of the water, and beers and food are very affordable. It is one of my favorite stops to just relax and enjoy, especially on a port intensive cruise, and we usually just spend peanuts compared to most places.

Roatan has very good snorkeling & diving, so that could swing the pendulum. I have not stopped at Mahogany Bay, so I can't speak to that area, but my personal experiences other than snorkeling have been underwhelming.

If the rest of the itinerary has stops with good snorkeling stops like Belize and Cozumel, my choice wold be Costa Maya. If not, then Roatan.

I was in Roatan in 2003 (before it got commercialized) and had a lovely day in Coxen Hole and then at West Bay Beach (gorgeous). I was so happy to find a cruise that was going back to Roatan, but a couple weeks ago Princess cancelled that port and substituted Costa Maya. :(

I'm really sad, but went online and booked a day at Maya Chan resort. Anyone been there? Did you like it? Hoping to turn lemons into lemonade! :)

I was in Roatan in 2003 (before it got commercialized) and had a lovely day in Coxen Hole and then at West Bay Beach (gorgeous). I was so happy to find a cruise that was going back to Roatan, but a couple weeks ago Princess cancelled that port and substituted Costa Maya. :(

I'm really sad, but went online and booked a day at Maya Chan resort. Anyone been there? Did you like it? Hoping to turn lemons into lemonade! :)

Maya Chan rocks. We visit every time were in Costa Maya. Steve, the owner is very responsive and accommodating of any dietary needs.

These days I would take Costa Maya any day over Roatan.

Roatan. I've spent 20+ days on the island and I love it. We have spent 17 days on the island over two vacations and several cruise ship stops. We just take a taxi to West Bay Beach and snorkel for the day. It's my favorite spot to snorkel in the Caribbean. In fact we just finished the ABC cruise two weeks ago. Bonaire was fabulous snorkeling. It was my favorite snorkel spot on that cruise. When we came back we booked a week back at our favorite beach in Roatan for Spring Break