Currently onboard Solstice

tassie cruiser

Hi there. We are currently onboard Solstice. Xmas and NYE cruise. Having an awesome time, beautiful ship. If anyone wants to know anything or I can help with any questions let me know, as everyone was so helpful to us before we left and was such a help. We left Isle of pines today, first time we have been there where it was a bit chilly, windy and a little rain. (Have been 5 or 6 times previously and was so hot) on way to Noumea tomorrow.

Our 2 daughters both have the unlimited internet and I didn't bother, just use theirs from time to time, so if I don't answer straight away, I will check regularly. The internet is great, I heard conflicting info on this, some said, it's slow, others said it was fast etc etc.. it was $299 US and 50% off a second package. We were select so received 25% off both as well, still expensive but not too bad, it is really quite fast, have face time people home, that's clear as, really good. As it's unlimited, you can just stay logged on (no need to log on and off all the time with minutes like we previously did)

Anyway, off to dinner. Yummmmmmmmmmmm.

Fiona

We will be cruising on Solstice early April and would love current advice re: meals in dining room and also Oceanview cafe. Also have you dined at Murano yet? Is she still looking in good condition or starting to show her age. Thanks for your feedback.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Forums mobile app

We will be cruising on Solstice early April and would love current advice re: meals in dining room and also Oceanview cafe. Also have you dined at Murano yet? Is she still looking in good condition or starting to show her age. Thanks for your feedback.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Forums mobile app

Haven't done Murano's yet. The main dining room has been sooooo good. And the ocean view cafe also, cannot fault the food at all.. this is our 14th cruise but first on Celebrity and would say that the food on here is superior to any other cruise without a doubt.

Glad to hear you're having a great time. Is it chilly enough to pack a jumper - that's something I hadn't even thought of packing although someone has told me it gets cold on the water at night. I'm so looking forward to trying all the food too (taking some loose fitting clothes so they'll still fit at the end of the cruise)

Thank you very much Tassie Cruiser! We will be on our first X cruise in May, on the Solstice! We would love to hear anything about items, venues, events, staff that positively surprised you ( are above your initial expectations, given your past cruise experience ) Looking forward to read your next posts! )

RCL Sovereign of the seas (1992), RCL Enchantment of the seas (2010), HAL Rotterdam (2014), HAL Maasdam (2015), Celebrity (2017)

Hi there, I'm on the next cruise on Solstice, can you tell me what power sockets are in the state rooms so I know want adaptors to pack. Thanks :)

There are 3 x power sockets in the main cabin above desk, 2 x US and 1 x European. The US is like 110v and the European like 220v. So the European the best for us Aussies with hair dryers etc.....

I just realised that I posted this on the celebrity thread and the Australia and New Zealand thread. I just wrote a very long and probably boring :p essay lol on the Australia thread, so I can copy and paste it on here or if you go onto that one it is there..

Actually I will try and copy and paste it to here in case some people don't go on the Aussie one.

Wish me luck..lol

Edited by tassie cruiser

Brief rundown so far.... this is our 14th cruise but first time on celebrity.

check in was fast and easy, we boarded at 11am as we were in concierge cabins, went to the concierge lunch which was lovely.. then wandered around until rooms were ready. We on deck 10 and cabins good, balcony good, bathroom the best we have had on a cruise ship, very practical and you can tell a woman designed it. Lol.

Dining room food is awesome, so good.. buffet great, best buffet by a mile. Actually all food, even the room service has been great. As mentioned above got internet for our 2 x girls. Was $299 and 50% off second package, so with our select discount, it worked out at $240 and $149. Doesn't really work out in my adding up but that was what it was. Internet great, works all over the ship, is fast and reliable.

Entertainment so far has been great, I will be honest and was a little worried as I had heard that celebrity has much older passengers and entertainment to suit, (we have mainly cruised..RCCL,carnival, PO) so I thought our girls might find it a little boring (21,23 year old) didn't worry me as I am on here to totally relax, but it has been great, the quasar nightclub is a hit and always busy and so is the sky lounge and the entertainment in the theatre has been good too.

I must admit that I haven't been on a cruise before where so many rude, demanding people. Grrrrrrr, that's my pet hate, when passengers talk down to staff etc...and think they are so much better than everyone else,have tried to keep my thoughts to myself but had to say something earlier today.

Isle of pines was bit chilly, windy and rainy and today in noumea was the same, feel sorry for people on their first South Pacific cruise. We have been here many times and it would be the coldest we have felt it (and we are from Tas. Lol)

The captain comes on once a day with an update and is the funniest captain I have ever heard, that is the only announcement that there is.

We have the Classic package and contrary to what I read on cc, we have had no problem getting any types of drinks, except the martinis in the martini bar, but as we don't really drink them anyway, it's no problem. In the dining room, we get red wine, sooooo much to choose from, now our waiter just brings what he thinks and leaves the bottle on the table. The girls think it's "so cool" not to have to pay for drinks. Lol.. hence a couple of very sick girls as we all know how strong they make their drinks on US cruise ships. So, basically unless you are a high end martinis person, Classic is great.

I enquired about doing a bridge or engine room tour, they no longer offer but still have a paid tour.. so have booked this for husband and one daughter as they are the ones interested. It is $150 and is for about 4 hours, includes::bridge tour, engine room tour, crew quarters and cafeteria, laundry, galley and store room, something else that I can't think of lol, then lunch in muranos with the officers/maybe captain. So that's pretty good, as muranos is like $50 on its own.

Umm, trying to think what else people may be interested in as I know I am probably prattling on.

Ice cream sandwich is the cafe. Omg. Sooooo good.

Tenders to Isle of pines was very slow, but we didn't mind, was in no hurry.

Pool deck is great as is Jurassic park as they call it.. for those who don't know what Jurassic park means (as I didn't until recently) some of the staff and other passengers called it that as apparently mainly older people go in there and nod off in the comfy recliner deck chairs and sleep with their mouths open, and look like dinasours, hence the name Jurassic park... I am only repeating what I heard. and might I add that we have been in there as have our daughters..lol. Now people just say..... I will meet you in Jurassic park. Lol.

We can't get over how quiet it is at night, our last cruise was on a PO ship and at night it kind of creaked and vibrated etc, I know this is a much much newer ship but it's just so quiet.

I mentioned I loved the bathroom, the reasons are that there is a tall shelved cabinet, floor to ceiling, fits heaps then other shelves, in the shower there is like a rail that you can use when shaving legs, so good. Lol, glass shower sliding doors, and there is like a night light there, so during the night it is just a soft dull light. There is also a dimmer switch in the main cabin for the main lights.

Xmas onboard wasn't over the top like I thought it would be, was still great and the decorations were awesome...

Ok, I have rambled on long enough to bore everyone..if I can answer anything, let me know, I will try to keep it short next time. Haha

We are just leaving noumea now on way to mystery island tomorrow, hoping for some nice weather. If not, that's fine, we are on a beautiful ship.

Fiona

Glad to hear you're having a great time. Is it chilly enough to pack a jumper - that's something I hadn't even thought of packing although someone has told me it gets cold on the water at night. I'm so looking forward to trying all the food too (taking some loose fitting clothes so they'll still fit at the end of the cruise)

Defiantly yes...... it does get chilly at night, you also need for indoors as well as the air con is quite chilly, so you need jumper or cardigan etc... for the theatre etc...... maybe not so much thick jumpers but defiantly sleeves.

Cold on the island I never thought it got cold there and we are going 4th Jan expecting hot weather oh dear:(

I agree, we have been to the islands many times and have never experienced this. I feel so sorry to the passengers who haven't been before.

Today we are in Mystery Island, just arrived, it's rainy, cloudy, not that cold which is good, think they said it was 23 degrees, it's forecast for rain all day, which is fine as long as it's not windy and chilly, we will go ashore a little later. Fingers crossed we get to have a warmish day and swim, snorkel, mystery island is my favourite of all the islands.

Thank you so much for your review. I have been following Solstice reviews for twelve months and we are now only 87 days away from our first cruise in March. Your review will probably be the closest to how we can expect things to be when we board. Thanks especially for your views on the classic beverage package. I have been in two minds as to whether to upgrade, due to worrying about wine choices. I will now give it a go before I decide [emoji2]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thank you so much for your review. I have been following Solstice reviews for twelve months and we are now only 87 days away from our first cruise in March. Your review will probably be the closest to how we can expect things to be when we board. Thanks especially for your views on the classic beverage package. I have been in two minds as to whether to upgrade, due to worrying about wine choices. I will now give it a go before I decide.

Appreciate these nice updates and good luck on your upcoming Solstice "adventure". Yes, lots to enjoy in these wonderful areas. As noted on my live/blog below, we super loved these areas and the many scenic options.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 164,397 views for this posting.

Thank you VERY much for taking the time to post this ongoing report. My only question would be (and since several others have made comments about it) the actual temperature (assuming you can do so) when you say, "it is chilly."

People have asked about what kind of clothes; they are "expecting hot weather" and so forth.

Yes, I understand the part about it being "chilly" enough for the need of sleeves at night and in some of those on-board venues but how about outside and during the day?

Of course where I live on the beach some people think any temperature lower than 70 degrees F is "chilly" so I realize it is all relative but actual numbers really are helpful sometimes.

Thank you and best wishes for a Happy New Year.

We were on the Solstice last September on the Vancouver to Hawai'i itinerary. We agree with all of your observations. She was a beautiful ship then even before she went into drydock a couple of months ago.

A couple of surprises for us were the Silk Harvest specialty restaurant. We thought it was really good and ate there twice. Ask for Maria as your waitperson (also works in Al Bacio during the afternoon), she is the best! We thought the 'Hot Glass Show" is a waste of valuable space.

The whole family, especially the girls, should go to the Silent Disco in Quasar in the evening. I guarantee that all four of you will have the time of your life!

We think Aussies are cool people and enjoy hanging out with them!

Have you checked out the newly installed alcoves at all?

Also, would you mind checking to see if they have any brochures available for them? I'm on solstice when it transitions from Hawaii to Canada in May; we were contemplating getting an alcove for a couple of the sea days, however the price seems to have increased dramatically since the last time we booked on reflection.

Would be nice to get independent confirmation that they've increased the amenities.

Many thanks

Have you checked out the newly installed alcoves at all?

Also, would you mind checking to see if they have any brochures available for them? I'm on solstice when it transitions from Hawaii to Canada in May; we were contemplating getting an alcove for a couple of the sea days, however the price seems to have increased dramatically since the last time we booked on reflection.

Would be nice to get independent confirmation that they've increased the amenities.

Many thanks

We have actually booked the alcoves/cabanas whatever the correct name is for NYE (9 in the morning until 1 am). We are a family of 4 and have met up with a couple who we have befriended and getting on great with. When talking to them, they just so happened to book it for New Year's Day. So as they accomodate quite a few people (they are huge) and it's the same price whether there is 1 person or say, 6 people..... so they are coming in with us for New Year's Eve and we are going in with them for New Year's Day. Lol. So, 2 days..... we really only booked New Year's Eve as it's always so hard to get served and there are people everywhere with the deck parties etc... we thought this way we have a comfy place to hang out and you have you own butler so no need to fight the cues for drinks....

Thank you so much for your review. I have been following Solstice reviews for twelve months and we are now only 87 days away from our first cruise in March. Your review will probably be the closest to how we can expect things to be when we board. Thanks especially for your views on the classic beverage package. I have been in two minds as to whether to upgrade, due to worrying about wine choices. I will now give it a go before I decide [emoji2]

Hi there, random question. Are you a Collingwood supporter? Just asking because of your name. As I am certainly a very one eyed Collingwood supporter. Lol. Have seen a few Dane Swan books around the ship. Hahahaha..... if you aren't a Collingwood supporter then I apologise. Lol.

When is your cruise? Where you cruising to?

Was talking with another couple from Melbourne last night and they are loving it, they said that this was their 4th Solstice cruise but this one is the best as there is younger people onboard and entertainment suited.. they doing back to back, so they got on in New Zealand and said even that cruise was different, older people, much quieter and entertainment to suit. Last night was the first night that the entertainment didn't suit the younger/younger minded passengers... eg.....in the theatre was a concert pianist.. so I can imagine a mid year cruise would be much different to this one.

There are soooooo many movies,(new ones inc) documentaries etc free on tv, so many channels to choose and last night I heard these people complaining as there was nothing to watch on tv. Sheesh. :eek: Then another couple complained that there was not any food in the buffet that they liked, how that could be possible is beyond me and they said the plates weren't hot enough........the plates should be that hot that you need to carry with a napkin and they are not.:eek: I kid you not, these are a few examples of what we have heard. Lol

I figure we work hard all year for a nice holiday so as long as I don't have to cook, clean etc I am happy. Lol

Hi there, random question. Are you a Collingwood supporter? Just asking because of your name. As I am certainly a very one eyed Collingwood supporter. Lol. Have seen a few Dane Swan books around the ship. Hahahaha..... if you aren't a Collingwood supporter then I apologise. Lol.

When is your cruise? Where you cruising to?

Was talking with another couple from Melbourne last night and they are loving it, they said that this was their 4th Solstice cruise but this one is the best as there is younger people onboard and entertainment suited.. they doing back to back, so they got on in New Zealand and said even that cruise was different, older people, much quieter and entertainment to suit. Last night was the first night that the entertainment didn't suit the younger/younger minded passengers... eg.....in the theatre was a concert pianist.. so I can imagine a mid year cruise would be much different to this one.

There are soooooo many movies,(new ones inc) documentaries etc free on tv, so many channels to choose and last night I heard these people complaining as there was nothing to watch on tv. Sheesh. :eek: Then another couple complained that there was not any food in the buffet that they liked, how that could be possible is beyond me and they said the plates weren't hot enough........the plates should be that hot that you need to carry with a napkin and they are not.:eek: I kid you not, these are a few examples of what we have heard. Lol

I figure we work hard all year for a nice holiday so as long as I don't have to cook, clean etc I am happy. Lol

Haha. Well observed!

Yes, I am definitely a Collingwood supporter (albeit not as tragic as hubby lol). We make most games during the season and it is the one thing about our cruise that he is worried about, as we leave during the opening round of next season and in all my checking of reviews etc, I haven't found anything stating that AFL games are televised on the Solstice.

If you are able to find anything out about this, I would be forever grateful [emoji2]

We are on the nine night South Pacific cruise departing 25 March. It is our first cruise ever, after finally talking my husband into giving it a try in lieu of giving me a 50th birthday party. It has been the best birthday present ever as I have had all year to look forward and plan. After reading your review I am even happier with my choice. Looking forward to following the rest of your trip [emoji2][emoji924]

Haha. Well observed!

Yes, I am definitely a Collingwood supporter (albeit not as tragic as hubby lol). We make most games during the season and it is the one thing about our cruise that he is worried about, as we leave during the opening round of next season and in all my checking of reviews etc, I haven't found anything stating that AFL games are televised on the Solstice.

If you are able to find anything out about this, I would be forever grateful [emoji2]

We are on the nine night South Pacific cruise departing 25 March. It is our first cruise ever, after finally talking my husband into giving it a try in lieu of giving me a 50th birthday party. It has been the best birthday present ever as I have had all year to look forward and plan. After reading your review I am even happier with my choice. Looking forward to following the rest of your trip [emoji2][emoji924]

Yay, had a feeling you were. My screen name could be magpies67 lol.

You will love the ship, if you aren't cruising in holiday season, from what I can gather it is so much quieter. Guessing NYE and Xmas cruise would have less of the older passengers. Jurassic park is very quiet on this one. :p

Re the footy, don't like your chances there. There isn't a sports bar or anything like RCCL. I will check it out but guessing the best you could do is get the unlimited wifi and stream the games. Will get back to you if I have any news.

Today we saw the sun for the first time. Lol.

Yay, had a feeling you were. My screen name could be magpies67 lol.

You will love the ship, if you aren't cruising in holiday season, from what I can gather it is so much quieter. Guessing NYE and Xmas cruise would have less of the older passengers. Jurassic park is very quiet on this one. :p

Re the footy, don't like your chances there. There isn't a sports bar or anything like RCCL. I will check it out but guessing the best you could do is get the unlimited wifi and stream the games. Will get back to you if I have any news.

Today we saw the sun for the first time. Lol.

I hadn't thought of streaming. Great idea! We have unlimited wifi as one of our perks so thank you for the suggestion.

Glad you got to see some sun today. Have you had any rocky seas? I must admit that is one thing that worries me.

I hadn't thought of streaming. Great idea! We have unlimited wifi as one of our perks so thank you for the suggestion.

Glad you got to see some sun today. Have you had any rocky seas? I must admit that is one thing that worries me.

The weather hasn't been the best but today and yesterday were great. The seas have been great as well, no rocking at all , but we like the movement so we're actually hoping for a bit. :D

Our last port tomorrow (New Years Eve) then 3 sea days, then back to the real world :(