dinning problem suggetions please

sue gill

we our going on a family cruise. my children are all adults. 11 of us total 2 are doing traditional dining, the rest of us want anytime.do you think we would be allowed to reserve a table in traditional 3 nights.i will have my 8 year old and 3 year old with us and the only tradition dinning left is 8 pm a little late to eat for them when the 8 year old goes to bed at 830 and we will have to get up early to go to shore the next day.i know its vacation but I want both children to have a good time and not be sleepy

I believe that answer is no. If you want to eat in traditional you would need to book traditional. Or the other option is going on the first day you board and seeing if you can book a table in anytime dining for those 3 days and have those 3 days be set times and then use the other days as arrive when you want. I have heard/read of people reserving tables in the anytime for the entire time of the cruise at like 7 or something...check when you board.

You MIGHT be able to snag a table in TD for specific nights, IF (very big if) there are any empty tables.

We've seen empty tables in TD, but not very often.

On our last cruise there was a table for 6 next to us that had 2 people for 1/2 the cruise, then 2 more were added. You won't know till you board and ask. I would wait till day 2 or 3 before approaching the Maitre D'.

Why not everyone select anytime dining and the two can speak with the MD and make a standing reservation at the same table every night. When the others wish to join them, they can make reservations at the adjoining tables, if they are available. We did this on the Coral when we found the wait staff to be excellent in AD. It worked out great.

Traditional dining rooms are usually taken and you would probably not be able to make a random reservation there anyway.

Plan B would be to make a special night at a specialty restaurant for everyone.

We were a group of 9 and had anytime dining. After the second night they set a specific table and time for us. (6:30 pm) We were told it was easier for the staff to know when we would arrive and where we were sitting than for the large group to show up 'anytime'. We did not request this, it was just provided. This was on the Royal 2 years ago.

Also, you can speak to the Maitre'd. He is normally available around 2 or 3 pm on embarkation day. The time and place will be in the Patter. Get there a little early, as the line can get very long!

He may be able to help you out!

I do recommend talking to the maître d' on the first day during the afternoon "office hours" that you will see in the patter. It is frequently easier for the staff to accommodate such a large group doing anytime by assigning a table and time to dine, our group most recently had a 7:30 dining time in anytime dining. BUT, with little ones, you might want to have a table very close to opening time, 5:30, 6 pm. They generally are going to need to "turn" that table to accommodate other diners that evening as well, so holding out 9 to 11 seats with a 7 p.m. reservation is unrealistic. No one else could reasonably use that table for the evening.

If you do get an assigned table, please be kind enough to let the head waiter in that dining room know as soon as you do, if you will not be using that table on a particular evening. Also, if your group is going to be substantially smaller - say 4 to 6 of you, they will usually give you a smaller table for that evening in the same section so you will have the same waiter. Good communication and consideration is always appreciated.

If there are any port calls with late port stays - say after 8 p.m., what usually happens is that evening all the dining becomes open seating. That is another alternative - plan to dine together on those evenings.

Enjoy your family cruise.

Edited by ggprincess2004

When we take the whole crew, six adults and three kids, we always get early TD. It's so much easier to get everyone to the same place at the same time. I know that may not be what OP wants, but I would at least discuss the possibility with the group.