Cheapo dad's trip report on Freedom of the Seas

harryfat1

Lol! Didn't want to cause a stir !! Just appears way more casual than our formal nights on our previous cruises !

Yes I will report back when we've returned from our next cruise .

I'm not an accountant but i do work for a financial institution !! Just as bad I here some say !!!

Yes I do lots of planning for all our trips , along with the cruises we've done a lot of land travel . When you live so far away from the rest of the world you have to make the most of each trip.

My husband just says tell me when we're going to the airport & where are we off too !!! No help !! 😃🇦🇺🍷

I am a believer that opposites attract. As much as we complain the other half doesn’t do much, it might work out the better. Sometimes too many cooks in the kitchen is not good either. If the people plan the same trip, there could be conflicts or one person will undo the other person’s planning as he/she thinks they have found something.

We’ll just have a “Friends of Planners” support group meeting at every cruise to meet with other planners and complain about how our other half are not involved…

After dinner, we headed off to the RP in our Santa hats to take pictures. For those with good memory and sharp eyes, you will recall we have brought along Santa hats and left them on the chairs in the cabin? Well, tonight is the night we used them as we walked around RP going from photo station to station visiting the crazy aunt in the basement.

That somehow drew a lot of attention/eyes on us. Guess people not expecting a parade of 3 generations of Asians in walking around the ship with Santa Hats wearing suits and ties. Heck, I think our “parade” of 6 walking around RP is a bigger production than the 4 people RCI showcased back on day 1.

One extra bonus in cruising during the holiday month is being festive.

31704341184_c8b6d66f72_b.jpg

Yes, two of us have Mickey ears Santa hats on. You would know I would bring in Mickey in this somehow, right?

OK, so we walked around RP taking ad nauseam amount of family pics. Won’t bored everyone so just dropped in couple highlights

32425501961_2375ed49e7_b.jpg

For you folks that will be on the Freedom class ship for a future cruise, just mentally photoshop your picture here by time you sail

31704625454_4bc191b6d8_b.jpg

Special effect of stripping out the colors

32521057436_9d413978e3_b.jpg

As this is the night before the last day, we know from experience that the photo place will be very crowded on the last day of the cruise so we went to the photo area (visiting crazy aunt at basement) to further sort out the pictures we liked up to this point and asked them to store them in the special folio area.

Visiting crazy aunt time at the photo area. No photography allowed inside when they have the pictures up so I can only take it from afar

31719078763_9ef52697e9_b.jpg

After that, it was time to call it a night after 11 as we were up early this morning for the tour and all. But before that, I made a quick trip to guest services to swap out our departure tickets to #38. I asked for #39 but she told me 38 is the highest they will go. So that was what we received. I must be one of the few weirdoes that wanted a higher number. The gal behind the desk had to pause for a second when I asked for a “highest number” as people typically want a lower number to get off the ship ASAP the last day.

Most people can’t wait to get off per the various CC posts. My wife’s friend, because they have the alligator tour with the ship, they got the privileged sticker #1 to meet at the theater at 7:30 AM to get off the ship first right after the self-assist people in the morning. I’ll pass.

Ship map

31719235473_66c9b660d9_b.jpg

More visiting Uncle Bob in prison opportunities

31719228863_a766d6928b_b.jpg

Day 6 – Sea Day (Time To Say Goodbye)

Always a sad day for any cruise to know this is your last full day on the ship. I always think of the Andrea Bocelli and Sarah Brightman version of the song and at the Las Vegas Bellagio fountains as the background during the last day.

Pic of Bellagio hotel from few years ago

23480206561_4eb9a725ff_b.jpg

And you folks thought I only know rap songs…

Happy Chinese New Year!

Since we are bilingual and bicultural, we celebrate both the US holidays as well the traditional Chinese New Year, which is tomorrow. As such, tomorrow will be a busy day for us with family gatherings and meals and I won’t be around to upload any pictures so if you are following this trip report, just know that Saturday won’t have any photo uploads.

Talk to you all on Sunday.

Thanks for the great review.Looks like lots of work on your part.Ive been checking every morning for updates, Love the pictures.Although the food ones make me hungry your ordering tips will really help me on cruise Feb.12. Your reports have made be more excited to be on this fantastic ship.Sad to see your review coming to an end.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

So Bob is stirring up the pot to generate some controversy?

Just the opposite. I didn't want this excellent review to be taken down a rat hole.

Ehhh? What are you talking about?

Biker was referring to the fact that TigerBeth's original post (the one that I quoted) was removed.

Edited by bobmacliberty

Happy Chinese New Year!

Since we are bilingual and bicultural, we celebrate both the US holidays as well the traditional Chinese New Year, which is tomorrow. As such, tomorrow will be a busy day for us with family gatherings and meals and I won’t be around to upload any pictures so if you are following this trip report, just know that Saturday won’t have any photo uploads.

Happy New Year today! Enjoy your celebration 🎉

Lol at the Mickey Santa Hats...especially on your Father in law! Thanks for the review 👍🏼

Happy Chinese New Year!

新年好呀! (I hope I didn't just accidentally insult you. :o)

Harry, enjoy your New Year celebration. My son and his family are also celebrating in the Bay Area. I won't even try to do anything with Chinese characters, because one little stroke in the wrong direction, and it means something else.

My son's in-laws are from Chengdu, and I used google translate one year to look up the characters that would represent their names to include on a card. My son's mother-in-law's name is Xinhua, and evidently I called her the newspaper. They all got a big laugh out of it.

Oh well, it was a good attempt. It is a tough language with all the dialects and inflections. Kind of like the pronunciation of ma could be a mother or a horse.

Anyway, enjoy your day.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

HAPPY NEW YEAR, Harry and Family! Good Health and Fortune in the New Year!

I'll be seeing the Bellagio fountains in person soon, and I always think about the last scene in Ocean's 11 and that Matt Damon and Brad Pitt were standing HERE! And I love that song by Andrea Boccelli. We were lucky enough to see him in person many years ago, and even though he was singing with an unknown soprano, that song still makes me tear up.

And before that I'll be in Disneyland; won't be shopping for a Mickey Santa hat, but I will be looking for a 2017 ornament.

Hi, Heather,

Thank you for the compliment.

Good to hear you are enjoying the various digression topics, but I think you are in the minority as I think I put most of the people to sleep with all the rocks talk.

Yes, do make it a point to drive down to CA as it’s one of the nicer drives out there. If you are into driving, check out this book on most scenic drives. I have the prior edition.

https://www.amazon.com/Scenic-Drives-America-Revised-Updated/dp/1606523589/ref=dp_ob_title_bk

Thanks, Harry, for the book recommendation, it looks like a good one to keep in mind. I definitely plan to do this drive someday!:)

Heather

Happy Chinese New Year!

Happy new year, Harry!

When I started reading this review, I knew - from your past Allure trip report - that it would be funny, entertaining, and educational (I know I'm missing an E). Little did I know we'd be treated to bonus narrated side trips to the Hoover Dam, the Badlands, and Sedona. Talk about a good bargain -- multiple vacations included with the low price of a Cruise Critic subscription.

I'm going to put this out there -- I think this sequel is actually better than the original!

Thanks again for all your time and effort.

Happy Chinese New Year to Everyone!

Wow, thanks to all that chimed in with your New Year well wishes. I will reply individually when I have more time tomorrow. I know I originally said I wasn’t going to upload any pictures today but with all the nice notes people were leaving me all day, I feel like I should do something in return.

Here is bonus coverage for the foodie crowd from today’s family lunch. This is the dim sum place we went today with my wife’s side of the extended family with inlaws and uncles and cousins – total of 35+ people in multiple tables.

Maybe I am biased but I think most people will say SF area is one of the best Chinese food regions in the US. Here are some pictures of the food we had for lunch today – the food is served family style in the middle of the table for everyone so it wasn’t always easy to take a picture with all the people looking on. Yes, technically you can call this a digression as well…

32455927081_fd2fffebf7_b.jpg

32578413175_8272423a44_b.jpg

Fried shrimp & crab balls

32455974311_19bd9e8923_b.jpg

Pork Buns

32199421960_8133fac2ab_b.jpg

The steamer trays that the people push around the restaurant. What you want, you just point to it and they put them on the table. An example of what the cart looks like

32425495232_2d5c1a26da_b.jpg

Dumpling with meat fillings

32425504672_f872b326e9_b.jpg

I am not a foodie but other members of the family are and they ordered these the lobster with noodles

32199373850_dae4e125e3_b.jpg

32199366340_2ecdca8d16_b.jpg

Abalone and seafood on half shell

32199357630_51c13cb5b2_b.jpg

32455930281_0e093918ec_b.jpg

Rice Noodles stuffed with shrimp inside smothered with special sauce

32199385950_6aef86f616_b.jpg

Steamed dumpling in red vinegar sauce

32425499712_a309d53ea9_b.jpg