Viking Sea returning to Barcelona?

photopro2

Hello there,

I see from a ship tracker site that the Sea left Barcelona last night and sailed towards Toulon but seems to have done a U turn and is now heading back towards Barcelona. I wonder, was this planned?

I think Peregrina651 is on board and maybe they can give us an update?

Yes, we are returning to Barcelona for repairs. Pax have been invited to stay on board through January 8 or to depart sooner as they so decide. DH and I are staying on board til the 8th because we had already arranged our own post-cruise extension. Viking is organizing excursions to help us explore the region and keep us busy for the next 10 days. I'm about to grab a map and plan some day trips on our own. We're in Barcelona in a five star oceanview hotel, so we'll be fine.

Yes, we are returning to Barcelona for repairs. Pax have been invited to stay on board through January 8 or to depart sooner as they so decide. DH and I are staying on board til the 8th because we had already arranged our own post-cruise extension. Viking is organizing excursions to help us explore the region and keep us busy for the next 10 days. I'm about to grab a map and plan some day trips on our own. We're in Barcelona in a five star oceanview hotel, so we'll be fine.

Is this the same problem we had on the Star during her Viking Homeland cruise? The engine conked out after we left St Petersburg and we ended up in Estonia for 4 days and then were told we had to get off the ship so she could sail to another port for repairs.

Looks like plan B is up and running for all of you on this aborted cruise.

What are the repairs that will be done back in Barcelona?

Enjoy all your day trips ,hope going to Monserrat is on your list. It is worth the 45 mintue trip there. Also check out the maritime museum in Barcelona. It is located down by the Columbus statue. It has a life size replica of a colonial ship , you can explore. The Musuem of Art of Catalonia up on Mount Jurric is a great way to send an afternoon.

Look forward to your reports of a cruise now turned into a land vacation.

Yes, we are returning to Barcelona for repairs. Pax have been invited to stay on board through January 8 or to depart sooner as they so decide. DH and I are staying on board til the 8th because we had already arranged our own post-cruise extension. Viking is organizing excursions to help us explore the region and keep us busy for the next 10 days. I'm about to grab a map and plan some day trips on our own. We're in Barcelona in a five star oceanview hotel, so we'll be fine.[

Barcelona is great. Here are some ideas:

Go on line and get tickets for the Sagrada Familia

Explore the Old Town and Cathedral

Take a train ride up to Montserrat

Walk around the Eixample neighborhood and visit all the Gaudi architecture

Go to Park Guell

Take a train up to Girona for the day or down to Sitges

If you like Picasso, go to the museum. I believe it is free on the first or last Saturday or Sunday of the month.

Go out at night for tapas

Make sure you are first in line when Viking offers up tours. We were told there was no more more room on some of the excursions they planned.

I also recommend the Catalan Music Hall in Barcelona, a hidden gem designed by a contemporary of Gaudi. You can reserve a very reasonably priced tour online through their site or just show up. Worth the time for sure. We also did a wonderful 5 hour evening tapas/wine walking tour through 3 neighborhoods that was a highlight of our last visit.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Looks like plan B is up and running for all of you on this aborted cruise.

What are the repairs that will be done back in Barcelona?

Enjoy all your day trips ,hope going to Monserrat is on your list. It is worth the 45 mintue trip there. Also check out the maritime museum in Barcelona. It is located down by the Columbus statue. It has a life size replica of a colonial ship , you can explore. The Musuem of Art of Catalonia up on Mount Jurric is a great way to send an afternoon.

Look forward to your reports of a cruise now turned into a land vacation.

Thank you for the suggestions. My brain is not really ready to deal with a complete vacation rethink, so i do appreciate the kick start. We might go back to Montserrat but first i think we will try something new, like the Maritime Museum. Haven't done Montjuic. Maybe by train to Tarragona or Zaragoza. And some days just sitting on la Rambla watching the world go by. And most definitely La Cabalgata on January 5th evening--arrival of the 3 Kings parade.

Thank you for the update and, in advance, for the additional information I know you will pass on to us all as it becomes available.

All the best with the re-planning, you have shown such a positive attitude throughout your posts I am sure you will make the most of the unexpected opportunities!

I wouldn't be surprised if it was one or two the transformers on the port engine. The Star lost three of the four transformers and was only able to limp along at 8 knots. These transformers are a new design. So I would not be surprised if this is the case. The ship is currently going at 14 knots which would imply that the transformers on the starboard engine are still ok. Or it could be something else.

I wouldn't be surprised if it was one or two the transformers on the port engine. The Star lost three of the four transformers and was only able to limp along at 8 knots. These transformers are a new design. So I would not be surprised if this is the case. The ship is currently going at 14 knots which would imply that the transformers on the starboard engine are still ok. Or it could be something else.

Do you think the Viking Sea will be ready for a January 22, 2017 cruise?

Oh No! I'm so sorry Peregrina and all the others who are on Viking Sea now.

We have not heard anything from our TA ....do you have any info about whether our January 8th cruise is likely to go ahead?

We would really appreciate some information when you have the time.

Oh No! I'm so sorry Peregrina and all the others who are on Viking Sea now.

We have not heard anything from our TA ....do you have any info about whether our January 8th cruise is likely to go ahead?

We would really appreciate some information when you have the time.

I agree with Lottie - Peregrina, so sorry this happened. Glad you are able to stay on board and make the best of your vacation!

Now I'm worried by the January 8th cruise we are on...

Thank you for the suggestions. My brain is not really ready to deal with a complete vacation rethink, so i do appreciate the kick start. We might go back to Montserrat but first i think we will try something new, like the Maritime Museum. Haven't done Montjuic. Maybe by train to Tarragona or Zaragoza. And some days just sitting on la Rambla watching the world go by. And most definitely La Cabalgata on January 5th evening--arrival of the 3 Kings parade.

I am very disappointed for you Peregrina as I know you were eagerly anticipating your cruise.

Think I would be considering going to Madrid for a couple of days and Valencia is also a very underrated city.

Lottie A and I are formulating a plan B in case our Jan 8 cruise on Sea is also affected.

Hope you enjoy whatever you decide to do

Peregrina, just a thought....Barcelona has a huge ferry port and ferries go all over The Med from there. Maybe you could go to lovely Palma in Majorca or Mahon in Menorca for a few days? We can recommend a great boutique hotel in Palma for you, if it's an option you might consider?

It is snowing at home. Our daughter is hunkered down 5 hours from home waiting for the storm to pass through and the interstates to be cleared and safe to drive. We are doing fine. We are gonna have a great time here in Barcelona. Already you have shared some great suggestions. Some we have done already and others we have not.

It is a fun week to be stuck in Barcelona. The kids are home for school vacation and families are out and about and waiting for the arrival of the 3 Kings. Barcelona is jumping this week and we are gonna enjoy it.

Fortunately, Viking is allowing us to remain on the ship until January 8, so we don't have to worry about accommodation until our post cruise plans begin. So what if it wasn't the cruise we were expecting. It isn't snowing and my hat and gloves are still in the suitcase.

For those who asked, I am not keeping up on the technical issues. I don't want to become in engaged in game of whispering down the lane the engineers edition. I never could play that game. Something really important on boat broke. They have to fix it. It is going to take enough days to accomplish that they decided that best thing to do was to bring us back to Barcelona. That about as complicated as i want to get.

Hazel, et al. thanks but not to worry. It was a little strange at first to have the sudden change dropped on us but you have to understand that I've just been given the best of both worlds--a floating resort hotel on the coast of Spain. I'm a happy camper! We'll get to Malta and Tunis another time.

Peregrina,

So sorry for the interruption in your cruise vacation. I am sure you will make lemonade out of those lemons! :D

We had such a great time postcruise in Barcelona. Sagrada Familia was amazing, and I loved Parc Guell as well. Palau de la Musica is a gorgeous concert hall which you can tour, but even better if you can see it during a performance. La Boqueria on Las Ramblas is so fun to browse thru and also a good place for souvenirs. Got some great organic olive oil there. Not a huge bottle, but every time I use it, it brings back beautiful memories. The HOHO bus is a good way to see parts of the city you might not otherwise, and it is fairly inexpensive. We used the Bus Turista, and you can either buy tickets online or right at the stops by charge card.

Have a great time!

Becki

It is snowing at home. Our daughter is hunkered down 5 hours from home waiting for the storm to pass through and the interstates to be cleared and safe to drive. We are doing fine. We are gonna have a great time here in Barcelona. Already you have shared some great suggestions. Some we have done already and others we have not.

It is a fun week to be stuck in Barcelona. The kids are home for school vacation and families are out and about and waiting for the arrival of the 3 Kings. Barcelona is jumping this week and we are gonna enjoy it.

Fortunately, Viking is allowing us to remain on the ship until January 8, so we don't have to worry about accommodation until our post cruise plans begin. So what if it wasn't the cruise we were expecting. It isn't snowing and my hat and gloves are still in the suitcase.

For those who asked, I am not keeping up on the technical issues. I don't want to become in engaged in game of whispering down the lane the engineers edition. I never could play that game. Something really important on boat broke. They have to fix it. It is going to take enough days to accomplish that they decided that best thing to do was to bring us back to Barcelona. That about as complicated as i want to get.

Hazel, et al. thanks but not to worry. It was a little strange at first to have the sudden change dropped on us but you have to understand that I've just been given the best of both worlds--a floating resort hotel on the coast of Spain. I'm a happy camper! We'll get to Malta and Tunis another time.

That's a great attitude to have Peregrina. Enjoy your unexpected Spanish vacation.

I would definitely think about going to lovely Tarragona or Girona....very easy on the train. Barconoleta beach (Barcelona city beach ) is nice too....if the weather behaves. :) Nearby Sitges is very picturesque and again, very easy to get to on the local train. On Sunday morning the locals do traditional Catalonian dancing in the square outside the Gothic Cathedral. You certainly won't be bored.

Thanks for the info about the necessary part and the repairs. Much appreciated. I hope it means that our cruise can go ahead on Jan 8th.

You are definitely a lady who makes lemonade out of lemons. With your positive approach I know you'll still have a great vacation even though it's not quite the one you planned so assiduously.

And if our cruise is also affected, Lottie A and I will do the same.