Self Service Laundry

semiretired52

What do you do on a long cruise?

Some items I hand wash, while others I send to the ship's laundry.

My only piece of advice is to dry clean delicate items, the ship's laundry is not easy on your clothes, they'll iron on labels which will need to be pulled off. I tend to only send those items that I know will stand up to this handling or that I'm willing to part with if they don't come back in the same condition I sent them in.

Honestly an 11 day cruise shouldn't be that bad unless you are trying to pack light.

Good luck.

Some items I hand wash, while others I send to the ship's laundry.

My only piece of advice is to dry clean delicate items, the ship's laundry is not easy on your clothes, they'll iron on labels which will need to be pulled off. I tend to only send those items that I know will stand up to this handling or that I'm willing to part with if they don't come back in the same condition I sent them in.

Honestly an 11 day cruise shouldn't be that bad unless you are trying to pack light.

Good luck.

Thanks - I try to pack light, but I hate it when the weather is hot. I need to change cloth. I will pack some laundry detergent and hand wash things if needed.

Thanks - I try to pack light, but I hate it when the weather is hot. I need to change cloth. I will pack some laundry detergent and hand wash things if needed.

Until we became Elite + where we get laundry done for free I would bring small packets of soap and wash in the bathroom. As stated in a previous post the laundry is very harsh nd your clothes so don't send anything delicate.

Items come back folded, not on hangers. If you are thinking of asking them to hang a shirt or blouse on a hanger rather than have it go through the dryer, I would say that it's unlikely they will be able to do this for you. If you have something that can be drip dried like that, you are better off doing it yourself in the bathroom sink and hanging it to dry in the shower area.

Items come back folded, not on hangers. If you are thinking of asking them to hang a shirt or blouse on a hanger rather than have it go through the dryer, I would say that it's unlikely they will be able to do this for you. If you have something that can be drip dried like that, you are better off doing it yourself in the bathroom sink and hanging it to dry in the shower area.

The last couple of times we have had bag-of-laundry coupons and used that to supplement our hand washing. Stuff comes back folded as you say. But if I recall correctly, if you send out and itemize 3 shirts and 2 slacks, they do come back on hangers.

For the OP, I understand that there are no built-in clothes lines on the Celebrity S ships like the Equinox. So in addition to laundry soap, pack a stretchy line for hanging your items to dry. But also note that instead of laundry soap, just use the shampoo supplied.

Stan

I am REALLY curious as to why CUNARD manages to have wonderful laundromats on each deck, where there are staterooms/cabins~~~ & WHY this is unheard of on most other cruise lines.

Holland-America may have laundromats, too-- I think I've heard this.

I've enjoyed a number of Celebrity cruises... ( & Norweigan +

RCI, too )~~~~~but will choose CUNARD forever, in the future.

And, not just because of the laundry issue.

It's simply a corporate choice. Having a self-service laundries means losing passenger staterooms. It also means the possibility of trouble when passengers don't use the machines correctly. I'll never forget the sight of soapy water rushing down the floor of a Crystal ship when a passenger who hadn't read the directions dumped a huge amount of detergent into a machine. I was also on a ship once where a passenger decided to dye something, and for the rest of the day, everyone who used that machine ended up with blue dye all over their clothes. It also is a revenue stream. If having a self-service laundry is important to your enjoyment of the cruise then by all means choose a line that offers it.

Princess also has self service laundries --- and IRONS!--- on every passenger deck. We do make use of this, I would rather do my own clothes, but we get by on lines that don't offer it. Usually, we may hand wash a few things and send other items out to the laundry/dry cleaning service. I wouldn't do this with anything too delicate or valuable, but I have to say we have never had a problem. The cost for laundry service is really a small part of our vacation spending so we don't stress over it.