NCL has RUINED Belize for me

CouponMom

I am SO disappointed with this Harvest Caye thing. Basically they took the BEST snorkeling (Belize) and threw it out. So far there is nothing there that is interesting to me, except sitting at the beach and then paying for food and drink or any activity??? It's like we're trapped on their "private port" with nothing to do except spend lots of money. EXTREMELY disappointed. This will completely impact future NCL cruise planning for me... :mad:

How can they think this is a good idea? Other cruise lines I've travelled with if they trap you on their "private island/etc" they at least provide you a buffet lunch and the drinks are part of the ship plan. :eek:

Sorry, I absolutely love cruising, but mostly for snorkeling beautiful reefs, and was so looking forward to going on NCL, but this will be a deal breaker in the future. How can I let NCL know my thoughts? (And do they even care???)

Can we stay on the ship and hang out at the pool with our UBP?????

That is one option. Or you can choose other port itineraries that have great snorkeling site as well, or other cruise line that has Belize itinerary.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

No. At least not in February when we will be there. And they won't allow private tour companies to pick up from HC.

We are on the Escape in June- is the Belize stop tendered or do we dock? Is it a private island? I am surprised at this...

We are on the Escape in June- is the Belize stop tendered or do we dock? Is it a private island? I am surprised at this...

If your port is Harvest Caye then you will be docked.

There is a long thread about it here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2164530

I'm just disappointed because there is no way to experience the beautiful Belize reef from HC. :(

• 2 weeks later...

I feel your pain CouponMom. Belize prides itself on being the 2 largest reef in the world, and not being able to swim in it? Ridiculous.

As you know, all cruise lines are penny pinching like crazy. I wonder if Norwegian developed Harvest Caye to minimize port fees. I also read an article on Cruise Critic that it will eventually open Harvest Caye to other cruise lines too. Its going to be a money maker for Norwegian! And we'll all be trapped on it together.

• 2 weeks later...

This is the reason we chose Carnival. You can still get out of the port area.

My disappointment is that our travel companions would rather go cave tubing than snorkel. My fiancé and I are big snorkel fans. Luckily our other port is Roatan and the snorkeling is just as good as Belize as it is the same reef (from what I've heard). However, Belize seems to be the only place you can cave tube so that will be something different for a change.

Looks like F and I will have to plan another cruise to Belize to see for ourselves

This is the reason we chose Carnival. You can still get out of the port area.

My disappointment is that our travel companions would rather go cave tubing than snorkel. My fiancé and I are big snorkel fans. Luckily our other port is Roatan and the snorkeling is just as good as Belize as it is the same reef (from what I've heard). However, Belize seems to be the only place you can cave tube so that will be something different for a change.

Looks like F and I will have to plan another cruise to Belize to see for ourselves

It's always difficult and fun to travel with another couple. The one thing we have learnt is that it is ok to do different things and then meet up later. Don't be afraid to suggest this to your friends.

It's always difficult and fun to travel with another couple. The one thing we have learnt is that it is ok to do different things and then meet up later. Don't be afraid to suggest this to your friends.

That's what we also do. Before we cruise, we "agree to disagree" on many points like choice of excursions, dinner venue and time, shows, etc. After the cruise, we enjoy sharing each others' experience, even if we sailed together.

We were disappointed that Harvest Caye was the stop in Belize as well. We'd already done the cave tubing and were looking forward to either Mayan ruins or snorkeling the reef.

Harvest Caye is beautiful and new, but just not the experience we wanted for Belize. They offer a few excursions and there are some things to do, but most cost money, including food and drinks.

We were disappointed that Harvest Caye was the stop in Belize as well. We'd already done the cave tubing and were looking forward to either Mayan ruins or snorkeling the reef.

Harvest Caye is beautiful and new, but just not the experience we wanted for Belize. They offer a few excursions and there are some things to do, but most cost money, including food and drinks.

Why even get off the ship?

Are we being charged a port fee for their own island that offers nothing but to lay in the sand?

The events offered on the mainland were the reason to go to Belize.

I feel sorry for all those companies who put their savings into taking passengers to different things to enjoy, such as cave tubing and the ruins...and are now out of business.

NCL should have at least 2 smaller ships that offer Belize city.

Why even get off the ship?

Are we being charged a port fee for their own island that offers nothing but to lay in the sand?

The events offered on the mainland were the reason to go to Belize.

I feel sorry for all those companies who put their savings into taking passengers to different things to enjoy, such as cave tubing and the ruins...and are now out of business.

NCL should have at least 2 smaller ships that offer Belize city.

I'm not saying we didn't enjoy Harvest Caye--as a beach day it was fine--but honestly I wouldn't really want to stop there again. I have no idea if we were charged a port fee or not; probably?

If I want to go to Belize again, I will not be looking at NCL, or any other cruise line that stops at Harvest Caye. I want to snorkel the reef or go to the ruins, or other mainland activities. Hopefully not all of them will abandon the mainland so that tour operators are still having business.

I am SO disappointed with this Harvest Caye thing. Basically they took the BEST snorkeling (Belize) and threw it out. So far there is nothing there that is interesting to me, except sitting at the beach and then paying for food and drink or any activity??? It's like we're trapped on their "private port" with nothing to do except spend lots of money. EXTREMELY disappointed. This will completely impact future NCL cruise planning for me... :mad:

How can they think this is a good idea? Other cruise lines I've travelled with if they trap you on their "private island/etc" they at least provide you a buffet lunch and the drinks are part of the ship plan. :eek:

Sorry, I absolutely love cruising, but mostly for snorkeling beautiful reefs, and was so looking forward to going on NCL, but this will be a deal breaker in the future. How can I let NCL know my thoughts? (And do they even care???)

You can come and go as you want.

The ship is @ the pier / No more long tender ride.

Been to Belize many times. OP is exaggerating the beauty of the reef. The snorkeling at Belize is the worst snorkeling on a western Caribbean cruise. IMO you miss nothing by not getting to snorkel near Belize City.

Are you saying we have to pay for all the food on HC. Do they not have the free barbecue lunch like GSC? If that's true, then I'm a bit disappointed. Is this because you docked there instead of tender?

This has nothing to do with the dock / tender, they use Belizean vendors on the island, and all food and beverages incur a charge...

Are you saying we have to pay for all the food on HC. Do they not have the free barbecue lunch like GSC? If that's true, then I'm a bit disappointed. Is this because you docked there instead of tender?

I am soooo with you, CouponMom. NCL doesn't own Harvest Cay outright; just has a financial stock in it.

Last time we were in Belize was Nov 2007 and there were so many great things to do. My dh went on a tour of the Mayan Ruins while I went on the beach retreat. Nice quiet little beach where we could get one free drink and a massage for $1.00 a minute.

We came into Belize on the Dawn last week. This time it seems like there was some shopping and then the giant swimming pool, but that was it. Not impressed with the beach at all. Was impossible to find a chair that had at least a little shade. By noon people were already going back to the ship where we could at least get lunch and snacks that we had already paid for.

Very disappointing. I think if we ever cruise the Western Caribbean again we'll try another ship. As it is, the Western Caribbean has become just another collection of tourist traps.

FOr those that have been, I understand you can use your ships card to pay for everything. If that's true, then it just goes against your onboard account. If you have OBC is it used for those expenses?

You can use your ship card for payment, and if you do then any OBC can be used to offset your charges, just like it is for anything else you buy.

I'm confused a little by all of this. Please explain.

I will be going to HC in July. Does this mean I cannot book the cave tubbing, zip lining excursion through an outside company because they are not allowed to pick us up at the pier?

Please let me know before I go and book this.

• 2 weeks later...

We're going to Harvest Caye on our upcoming cruise and are just planning a ship day there. We've been to Belize multiple times (both cruise and land based vacations) and there's absolutely nothing for NCL's shore excursions that appeal to us. We'll probably just get off the ship, walk around a bit and then go back and enjoy the pool, slides, rope course, food and drink that we've already paid for. It's too bad because Belize has so much more to offer.