How does Captain's Club category upgrade work?

WNCtourist

Good day,

I have completed one Celebrity cruise and am going again this month. If I choose to book another cruise while on board, will I automatically get the category upgrade?

In other words, should I plan to book a 1B if I really want a 1A? If I understand the fine print, the upgrade does not move you from a veranda to concierge cabin - is that correct?

Do I request the Captain's Club upgrade when booking with the onboard agent? Does it negate other offers?

Thanks for your expertise!

You are correct in that it does not move you up in category just within the category. It does not negate other offers or perks. You pay for one and receive a level higher. You should be able to do this through any means of booking, however, you must request it and ensure you receive it. Enjoy!

Sent from my SM-G530W using Tapatalk

To get the upgrade you need to first make sure the corresponding category LOWER than what you ACTUALLY want is available AND at a lower price. For example - you want a 2A, so you need to ensure 2B is available at a lower price. When you go to make the reservation you tell the onboard agent (or the phone rep or your travel agent) that you want to be BERTHED in a 2A but want to use your CC upgrade benefit and get the 2B price (for example). It has to be manually fared by reservations. Note that you cannot upgrade from a 2A to a 1C or 1A to a C3 or C1 to A2 for example. I personally think the restriction of cat 2A to cat 1C not being allowed silly as there are no additional "perks" for the cat 1Cs, just higher decks and more central locations, but them's the rules.

I've used this upgrade within category every X cruise since my first, and it's worked every time, to varying $ savings. We book specific Concierge 2 category cabins (on S class ships) and pay C3 price. Savings have been between $100 to $700 pp. As others have said, just make sure you mention it when booking. If you book on board, you'll know what's available in the category you desire and can reserve a specific cabin and also check how much the one category upgrade is saving you.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Edited by tnfcruise

We took advantage of this on our last two cruises. Booked A1 and got upgraded to A2. I always use a Tavel Agent as she automatically takes care of this for us :)

The upgrade has saved us thousands of dollars over the last two cruises.

Edited by DZalumni
bad gramar

We took advantage of this on our last two cruises. Booked A1 and got upgraded to A2. I always use a Tavel Agent as she automatically takes care of this for us :)

Thousands? The difference is usually less than $100. Our last two AQ bookings the difference was only about $60 each.

Think you meant an upgrade from an A2 to an A1. :)

I think you have reversed it. A2 is a lower category A1 is the higher priced. I never seen a price difference of more than $200 per cabin between a A2 and A1 and more often it is $100. Your TA may tell you they have saved you thousands but it is probably closer to a few hundred.

.... Note that you cannot upgrade from a 2A to a 1C or 1A to a C3 or C1 to A2 for example. I personally think the restriction of cat 2A to cat 1C not being allowed silly as there are no additional "perks" for the cat 1Cs, just higher decks and more central locations, but them's the rules.

I checked with Celebrity when I completed my two bookings a few days ago. 2A is eligible for upgrade to 1C. 2 and 1 are both classified as standard balcony cabins.

I've used this upgrade within category every X cruise since my first, and it's worked every time, to varying $ savings. We book specific Concierge 2 category cabins (on S class ships) and pay C3 price. Savings have been between $100 to $700 pp. As others have said, just make sure you mention it when booking. If you book on board, you'll know what's available in the category you desire and can reserve a specific cabin and also check how much the one category upgrade is saving you.

I'm amending my statement and adding a few comments--

The C3 to C2 savings is usually around $100 pp, and we're happy with that little savings when we're also getting a better cabin location. This is when it's an S Class X.

When booking M Class, we love an aft C1. The savings between C2 and C1 can be more significant, and on one Infinity booking we were told the one category upgrade was not available.

The $700 pp savings (I mentioned above) is the significant amount we saved on our upcoming Spring 14-nighter. We'd booked on board, back in 2015, with an "All In" promo that included Classic Drinks, prepaid tips, and a total of $550 OBC. The on-line price alert service I subscribe to sent an alert just days before the final payment due date. Celebrity was running a two-day promotion and the C3 Go Best price was way down. A quick call to my TA and it was done! We kept all our previous perks, got upgraded to Premium Bev Package (which we were going to do onboard using our OBC) and unlimited internet.

I checked with Celebrity when I completed my two bookings a few days ago. 2A is eligible for upgrade to 1C. 2 and 1 are both classified as standard balcony cabins.

I've been told just the opposite on a few occasions. They are consistently inconsistent on this, depending on whom you speak to in reservations.