Star Azipod News and progress

karoo

I also suspect a full drydock would be involved to make a change like this. Certainly not just diver activity.

First off, "upgrading" the azipods to the newer model would most likely require a complete restructuring of the hull framework where the pods mount, so as you say, this is not really economically viable.

Secondly, not sure what "real lasting repairs" means. If your mechanic repairs the timing belt on your car, and then a couple of years later has to repair a leaking valve seal, was the timing belt not a "real lasting repair". To the best of my knowledge, no two failures of the Star's azipods have been repeated failures, and one was caused by poor workmanship at the US shipyard where the pods were overhauled, by the US shipyard workers, and under the supervision of the manufacturer's tech reps.

Thirdly, ABB does not keep complete azipods sitting around "on the shelf", just in case one is needed somewhere. They are built to order, so getting one would require somewhere in the 6-12 month time frame, depending on the current production schedule, and the fact that the older V model is no longer made.

And finally, I'm not convinced the latest failure is in the azipod, as you must understand that a great deal of the control system needed to operate the pod is not in the pod, but up in the ship. Any failure of a major component of this control system will render the azipod inoperable.

This post was duplicated as the new format kicked in while saving it. Weird!

Hi Carol. Not liking this new layout but guess like most things will get used to it. Don't like that you can't put a heading in - I found that useful. Nothing really stands out now! Also full signatures don't fully show up. I have 3 links to spreadsheet for the 3 legs we are on. What people see needs to be instantaneous not accessed by 'pushing buttons'. Sue :)

Hi Carol. Not liking this new layout but guess like most things will get used to it. Don't like that you can't put a heading in - I found that useful. Nothing really stands out now! Also full signatures don't fully show up. I have 3 links to spreadsheet for the 3 legs we are on. What people see needs to be instantaneous not accessed by 'pushing buttons'. Sue :)

Do you need those links then when not posting in the rollcalls?

The easy solution is to not have them in the sig block but in your post content.

I heard of a similar problem on the USS Voyager with its warp coils. While I am not an engineer, I believe that warp coils are an integral part of a ship's warp drive. Mounted within the warp nacelles, the coils used the plasma generated by the warp core to create a subspace displacement field that allows propulsion. Warp coils were typically composed of cast verterium cortenide surrounding a core of densified tungsten-cobalt-magnesium. Hence, it takes a significant lead time to manufacture a replacement coil. I wish you a long and prosperous cruise.

Unless NCL have access to a hyper drive, then some of this technology isn't available for another 300 years.

OK The ship still has problems If you don't like the reply then log on to other web sites to find out, you're going to have problem getting your stated offer!!!!!

Type in Norwegian Star Azipods problems quite simple Regards

Sent from my iPad using Forums

OK The ship still has problems If you don't like the reply then log on to other web sites to find out, you're going to have problem getting your stated offer!!!!!

Type in Norwegian Star Azipods problems quite simple Regards

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Ncl are saying the ship will be fixed on the Feb 18 cruise.

We have been given clearance that the current issue with the Norwegian Star will be resolved with the Feb. 18 sailing. We have done an itinerary change to that sailing to make this happen, which we are communicating to guest as we speak.. All should be fine for the future sailing.

New Itinerary for 18 th Cruise

Sat Auckland, New Zealand overnight

Sun Auckland, New Zealand overnight 6:00 pm

Mon At Sea

Tue At Sea

Wed At Sea

Thu Port Kembla, Australia 8:00 am 6:00 pm

Fri Sydney, Australia 8:00 am 6:00 pm

Sat At Sea

Sun At Sea

Mon Airlie Beach, Australia 7:00 am 3:00 pm

Tue Cairns, Australia 8:00 am 6:00 pm

Wed At Sea

Thu At Sea

Fri Darwin, Australia 8:00 am 5:00 pm

Sat At Sea

Sun Komodo, Indonesia 7:00 am 2:00 pm

Mon At Sea

Tue At Sea

Wed Port Klang, Malaysia 7:00 am 4:00 pm

Thu Singapore, Singapore 7:00 am

Edited by aussie cruzer

Norwegian Star seems to be holding outside of Melbourne at 1.3knots.

Not sure if Marine Traffic is showing the wrong information or if she is really holding there? Anyone on board can confirm this?

Uh-oh. I hope that it is wrong information.. otherwise looks like something is seriously wrong!

Uh-oh. I hope that it is wrong information.. otherwise looks like something is seriously wrong!

Been there about 7 hours, and it is listed in AIS as "not under command", which means she has no propulsion. Surprising that they are waiting that long to get a tug out there, even if they are trying to fix it. Being so close, they should have a tug standing by.

Latest info... NOT GOOD...

Well Guess what guys... Star is dead in the water again. i have two people on board (im being vague 'cause they said two people were kicked off the ship for being outspoken) and they just said ship has not moved since 3am feb 10. (3 hours) crew is not giving any word. In reading below post, we tried and tried to cancel and get money back before the cruise and NCL refused. You save up for years and years for a trip of a lifetime and its trashed and ruined because of greed. Sad.. I will send more updates as i get them

Well Guess what guys... Star is dead in the water again. i have two people on board (im being vague 'cause they said two people were kicked off the ship for being outspoken) and they just said ship has not moved since 3am feb 10. (3 hours) crew is not giving any word. In reading below post, we tried and tried to cancel and get money back before the cruise and NCL refused. You save up for years and years for a trip of a lifetime and its trashed and ruined because of greed. Sad.. I will send more updates as i get them

Been there about 7 hours, and it is listed in AIS as "not under command", which means she has no propulsion. Surprising that they are waiting that long to get a tug out there, even if they are trying to fix it. Being so close, they should have a tug standing by.

"Not under command" means there is no control of the engines. The international signal for this condition is two red masthead lights one over the other or two red balls in daylight. The facts that there are no tugs in the vicinity and ships' trackers are showing headway of 1.7 knots may mean they are testing the engines or undergoing some sort of repairs. Lets hope its the latter until someone can clarify.

"Not under command" means there is no control of the engines. The international signal for this condition is two red masthead lights one over the other or two red balls in daylight. The facts that there are no tugs in the vicinity and ships' trackers are showing headway of 1.7 knots may mean they are testing the engines or undergoing some sort of repairs. Lets hope its the latter until someone can clarify.

I'm aware of what NUC means, and how it's signaled. However, since neither you nor I are there, we can't see the navigation lights or day signs. I don't believe that the Navigation Officer would enter NUC in the AIS system unless they were actually NUC. The fact that they are most likely drifting at a knot and a half is irrelevant.

Looks like a damn odd location to test engines. Seems to be a high traffic area. Would a tug along side appear on the Marine Traffic site?

It would show.

They have travelled about 230nm from Melbourne (according to sea-scanner), quite a ways from the nearest heavy equipment. (I think).

http://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/home/centerx:145/centery:-39/zoom:8

(I think that link will work).

Feb 10, 2017... The Star is dead in the water drifting .. waiting for tugs. People were just told they will be held on ship for 7 days. They cannot leave ship because they don't want people talking to press.

OMG - Prisoners!!!! How awful. I wonder if the ship will make New Zealand then?

Just confirmed. The Star is dead in the water drifting. I am contact with my wife who is on board. They are waiting on tugs. People are being told they will have to remain on ship for 7 days. They cannot leave ship. They don't want people talking to press.