Star Azipod News and progress

karoo

They are also showing that they will go to Port Klang. Can you honestly see them doing that? 400Km north and then 400Km south. If there is any problem at all I bet that will disappear!! Especially as they are going to Port Klang after they leave Singapore.

The ship has to be able to move first to go anywhere! :-)

Just on the news- tugboat on its way and will be bringing it back to shore/Melbourne where it will arrive tomorrow afternoon. Near Inverloch, for those who know the Vic coastline. Showed people lying out in the sun around the pool.

I wonder what NCL will say next?

I am not a lawyer but my sense is that NCL has to say it plans to sail the Feb 18th and March 9th cruises as scheduled. To say or imply otherwise would probably bind them to offer immediate refunds to guests that have booked these cruises. I also imagine NCL will be defending a host of law suites based on the deplorable way they have been handling this situation over the past 2 months.

I am not a lawyer but my sense is that NCL has to say it plans to sail the Feb 18th and March 9th cruises as scheduled. To say or imply otherwise would probably bind them to offer immediate refunds to guests that have booked these cruises. I also imagine NCL will be defending a host of law suites based on the deplorable way they have been handling this situation over the past 2 months.

It has already changed the Feb 18th itinerary; including cutting out the stop in Brisbane. That is a real blow as it was an embarkation port.

Herald Sun (AU) has news of NCL Star - she is reported to have generational power and onboard services are being maintained. Power is available for the bow thrusters, per the Australian Maritime Safety Authority. It has limited ability to steer the ship but will need assistance from tug boats when coming into port facilities.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/victoria/norwegian-star-cruise-ship-loses-power-near-melbourne/news-story/681818cf1be2d1bcaaf815272e6f1263

NCL is probably dealing with the current cruise. They probably can't make any decisions on the following cruises until they assess this situation and what has to happen to fix it etc. The itineraries for the Asia/Australia/NZ cruises make it tricky as each one is not a round trip. It requires the Star to get to a final destination by a due date. I'm on the 18th Feb cruise, which I now believe will not arrive/depart Auckland as scheduled. I'm not expecting to hear anything until they have assessed the situation and come up with a definite plan.

Another problem is Miami office is probably closed as day here is night there.

Don't get your undies all balled up, friend. It ain't the Poseidon Adventure.

You should tell that to the passengers on board the Star, not knowing how their nightmare is going to end rather than directing your sarcasm towards me, "friend".

I've been watching the news report on my local Melbourne news. Basically explained what's happened. Tugs on the way etc and expected to arrive in Melbourne tomorrow. Mentioned according to social media posts some people are visibly upset and crying onboard, others are out in the sun making the most of the ship's facilities. Posted a Facebook post from an American passenger, stating no propulsion, going nowhere, but AC and power are working. Journo commented that passengers could still make the most of the ship's facilities and warm sun. Showed passengers out in the sun by the pool and on balconies etc. News reader commented- looks like they're on the slow boat to Melbourne. I'll watch for our main 6 o'clock news to see if there's more detail. Gotta love my city- as long as the sun is out and we have warm weather we think everything is ok! The benefits of living in a city with the worst weather in mainland Aus. (Apart from Canberra)

Update- the full news report also mentioned the ship had a problem in Darwin with some passengers staging angry protests. Also stated they are getting a full refund and 50% towards another cruise. Also restated some are visibly upset while others are making the most of the ship's facilities and are out enjoying the sun.

Then commented - nothing a good Pina Colada won't fix.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by karoo

I've been watching the news report on my local Melbourne news. Basically explained what's happened. Tugs on the way etc and expected to arrive in Melbourne tomorrow. Mentioned according to social media posts some people are visibly upset and crying onboard, others are out in the sun making the most of the ship's facilities. Posted a Facebook post from an American passenger, stating no propulsion, going nowhere, but AC and power are working. Journo commented that passengers could still make the most of the ship's facilities and warm sun. Showed passengers out in the sun by the pool and on balconies etc. News reader commented- looks like they're on the slow boat to Melbourne. I'll watch for our main 6 o'clock news to see if there's more detail. Gotta love my city- as long as the sun is out and we have warm weather we think everything is ok! The benefits of living in a city with the worst weather in mainland Aus. (Apart from Canberra)

Update- the full news report also mentioned the ship had a problem in Darwin with some passengers staging angry protests. Also stated they are getting a full refund and 50% towards another cruise. Also restated some are visibly upset while others are making the most of the ship's facilities and are out enjoying the sun.

Then commented - nothing a good Pina Colada won't fix.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

A Pina Colada can fix many problems, but I don't now about fixing Azipods.

BTW, we get great weather here in Canberra, are you jealous because our weather actually sticks to the right season?:p

Apologies- I'm just quoting my daughter in law who used to live there and her family who still live there, although her parents have just retired so they're moving north. I haven't been there since I was 8. I just remember it being so cold and raining the whole time! So if you're right it's official- Melbourne has the worst weather.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by karoo