Star Azipod News and progress

karoo

Seems like it's a good point for a tie-up post...

1> Current state: After repairs, it looks like the Star is operating normally, making good speed and will reach Auckland per revised schedule, give or take a few hours. A revised itinerary has been posted for the next cruise that skips Brisbane.

2> NCL communications regarding this has been horrible. Nothing new, nor sadly uncommon for cruise lines (honestly Carnival is the only one that seems to do a reasonable job and that is primarily due to John Heald). Why every line doesn't have a crisis management team including a PR and rapid response team continues to elude me.

3> We still have, and will continue to have, no idea what the actual problem was with the drive system and if it was related to prior failures or something new. We therefore cannot do any other risk assessment than to assume the Captain would not knowingly put passengers at risk (an assumption I am completely comfortable with especially after Concordia)

4> Compensation for Pax on board was a refund and FCC plus travel assistance to a point if they departed early. Compensation for upcoming cruises seems to be a little more vague and variable.

Did I miss anything?

Miscommunication comes from NCL UK actually !! The actual facts were on here not on the NCL website where it should have been !!

I am referring to my 5th January cruise which i booked specifically for the two Thailand stops which were cancelled due to the azipod problem......Our revised itineary supplied by UK NCL on the 22nd December was different from the American passenger cruise itinerary i found on here five days later......when i questioned UK NCL they said their one was correct and 'someone' on here had probably used the NCL headed paper and made a fake itineray up !!

Two days before sailing (eight days after i questioned the uk supplied itinerary) i got another itineray change from UK NCL and guess what ?? It was the American itinerary !!

Also we got the worse refund deal of any of the cruises with just a 20% cruise only refund which they won't budge on :(........Won't be cruising with NCL again !!

AGREED........every sailing (seven in a row) got future cruise credit and better compensation -- except us :mad::mad:

Seems like it's a good point for a tie-up post...

1> Current state: After repairs, it looks like the Star is operating normally, making good speed and will reach Auckland per revised schedule, give or take a few hours. A revised itinerary has been posted for the next cruise that skips Brisbane.

2> NCL communications regarding this has been horrible. Nothing new, nor sadly uncommon for cruise lines (honestly Carnival is the only one that seems to do a reasonable job and that is primarily due to John Heald). Why every line doesn't have a crisis management team including a PR and rapid response team continues to elude me.

3> We still have, and will continue to have, no idea what the actual problem was with the drive system and if it was related to prior failures or something new. We therefore cannot do any other risk assessment than to assume the Captain would not knowingly put passengers at risk (an assumption I am completely comfortable with especially after Concordia)

4> Compensation for Pax on board was a refund and FCC plus travel assistance to a point if they departed early. Compensation for upcoming cruises seems to be a little more vague and variable.

Did I miss anything?

Nice summary, I hope this is the end of the issues and affected cruises. The only issues that I can still coming ahead are the claims for better compensation on an individual case by case and whether NCL actually reveal the true story.

AGREED........every sailing (seven in a row) got future cruise credit and better compensation -- except us :mad::mad:

Get onto ABTA, NCL UK broke the package holiday regulations and ABTA rules by not including the option to cancel with FEULL refund and compensation for all incidentals like flights and hotels for a major change before departure.

Missing 2 ports is a Major change, so fell within the package holiday regulations even if booked cruise only..

If you booked through a UK TA include a complaint about them as they should have advised you of your rights, they may get away with it if you booked cruise only as they will claim they were acting as agents for the booking so not covered by ABTA rules.

But we will have to go at least 3 months before some will drop the "band aid" repair theme.

That depends on what parts broke originally, how it was repaired, mended or replaced and what breaks in the future, I suppose.

Perhaps anything to do with loss of propulsion will be a sign of another failure.

Fair enough but that cuts both ways .If there are problems will you accept it was a "band aid" repair ?

That depends on what parts broke originally, how it was repaired, mended or replaced and what breaks in the future, I suppose.

Perhaps anything to do with loss of propulsion will be a sign of another failure.

Mic hits it right on the head. Until I see the AMSA report, which should include discussion of the previous failures and repairs, so I can tell whether the same parts failed, or whether there was indication that known problems were not repaired, I will still withhold my judgement about the "band aid" theory.

Unless NCL has another ship in the area, it Looks like she is here in Auckland as I am looking at a NCL funnel sticking up over the ship next to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Cheers for the pic, Seabourn Encore in the middle of NCL Star and The World.:D

Cheers for the pic, Seabourn Encore in the middle of NCL Star and The World.:D

Maybe I'm biased, but I think the Star looks the prettiest. The others with their white and faded navy look boring.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The ncl star doesnt have any peter max design..only the new ships have

Yeah, I've been on the Breakaway and it had one.

On a side note she's underway again and only doing 12knots, i assume (hope) thats because that's all she requires at the moment?!

Yeah, I've been on the Breakaway and it had one.

On a side note she's underway again and only doing 12knots, i assume (hope) thats because that's all she requires at the moment?!

Only going to Bay of Islands, about 125 nm from Auckland, so yes, probably only needs 12 knots.

Yes I saw the Star docked around 9.15. Unsure what time she got in, but definitely there at 9.15.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We got in around 9:15am. I can attest to the Azipods working fine. Captain said he had them going at 80%. I wish others a wonderful trip. We didn't see any New Zealand ports except Auckland. However, love Down Under so we will see it on another NCL cruise.

Sent from my SM-G920T1 using Tapatalk