First times cruising from Port Everglades-Need hotel

mitsugirly

Hi,

It is $2 pp from FLL to hotel, 10 minute drive.

Mitsugirly.... FYI...The Hyatt Place hotel shuttle is free from FLL to the hotel...the $2.00 charge is from the hotel back to FLL ;)

Ok, good to know, I was just going by what cats said. :D

There are two La Quintas in Plantation only a few blocks apart, Peters Road and 6th Street.

I just checked out both, they are $179 a night. Add in the $50 transportation and you are around $229, which puts me higher than a few of the other hotels listed closer.

This is my thought exactly. I really don't want to go in the opposite direction of where I'll be going and $50 to get to the porch...well, I'd rather just put that into the price of the hotel and be closer. Just my thoughts, but I'll still check it out. (Never used Uber or heard of Lyft and the thoughts of just getting in a strangers car that's working for themselves with this app is just weird to me, even though my brother-in-law does Uber on the side in the past. I don't know what type of background checks they have to pass or what all is involved...may be totally off base with this, but not something I've checked in to).

I agree with uber.. Not comfortable! Also I had no idea it was a $50 cab ride... [emoji33] this entire trip is costing 3 times as much this time around and I'm freaking out. I'm Thinking going out for food and drink after landing isn't worth it and I'll just book the closest hotel to the airport and port. Still havnt pulled the trigger on airfare either...about $500pp.

Edited by SugarStar00

Ok, good to know, I was just going by what cats said. :D

They charged us $2 pp on our account upon arrival at the hotel when we took their shuttle FROM FLL. Apparently they shouldn't have?

At any rate, it is still much cheaper than a taxi or UBER.

we usually call once we land, and they always tell us the same thing, the driver just circles around and arrives every half hour on the hour

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by 4cats4me

Mitsugirly.... FYI...The Hyatt Place hotel shuttle is free from FLL to the hotel...the $2.00 charge is from the hotel back to FLL ;)

And they sure as heck did charge us on our account whenwe took it from FLL, although now I realize they should not have [emoji16][emoji78]

This is my thought exactly. I really don't want to go in the opposite direction of where I'll be going and $50 to get to the porch...well, I'd rather just put that into the price of the hotel and be closer. Just my thoughts, but I'll still check it out. (Never used Uber or heard of Lyft and the thoughts of just getting in a strangers car that's working for themselves with this app is just weird to me, even though my brother-in-law does Uber on the side in the past. I don't know what type of background checks they have to pass or what all is involved...may be totally off base with this, but not something I've checked in to).

UBER and Lyft, same thing. I live in Uberland here in the San Francisco Bay Area. No one bats an eye at Ubering It is extremely popular and safe. We also don't know if they do background checks on cabbies and shuttle drivers. either [emoji33][emoji3] there are bad apples everywhere though, so I can understand your reluctance to Uber.

We are kind of in our own world out here in CAlifornia. Hahaha!

And they sure as heck did charge us on our account whenwe took it from FLL, although now I realize they should not have [emoji16][emoji78]

Sorry this happened to you...always a good idea to go over your bill at check out and question any charges right then and there ;)

We were just in Fort Lauderdale last week. We used both Uber and Lyft. They are very reliable. We stayed at Double Tree Bahia Mar right on the beach. We could see ships coming and going. Used the http://stay.hilton.com/mvp/ Got a very nice rate.

Sorry this happened to you...always a good idea to go over your bill at check out and question any charges right then and there ;)

Yes, but we were staying for free so I didn't really peruse the bill that carefully until after the fact. Total bill was only the amount of room tax for one night, so it looked good to me LOL it was around $22 total bill, so I just looked at the final amount at checkout, thought it looked great and went on my way Usually I am more thorough

Yes, but we were staying for free so I didn't really peruse the bill that carefully until after the fact. Total bill was only the amount of room tax for one night, so it looked good to me LOL it was around $22 total bill, so I just looked at the final amount at checkout, thought it looked great and went on my way Usually I am more thorough

I just stayed for free at Hyatt Place two weeks ago and was not charged the room tax (same as at other Hyatt Places I have stayed at). Used Hyatt points if that matters.

So things might have just changed for us. :eek:

We have a Southwest cc for our business and earn points for "free" stuff.

We have been flying for free for several years (have the free companion pass and use all the points for me and the daughter to fly free).

I recently discovered that you can also buy Carnival gift cards using these points...which means our cruise is free as well.

WELL...I went on there last night and also discovered you can buy Hyatt Certificates too. :D

So, this changes a lot of things for us. If I buy the Hyatt certificates, we can also stay in the hotel for free. :p

Has anyone used these (actual name-Hyatt Check Certificate) before? Is it just like using cash? Do you book and then when you arrive present these "checks" for payment?

I guess this means we'll be possibly staying at a Hyatt if things work out. It looks like my options would be either the Hyatt Place on 17th or Hyatt Regency.

Now I'm wondering if I can book using a place like valuetrips or kayak and be able to use these certificates? Is payment due in full when booking using these places? I have never used anything like this before. :confused:

I just wanted to "update" this...

I'm currently on Hyatts website and it states the following for this place:

Looking for a hotel near Ft Lauderdale Airport? Stay with us, and enjoy scheduled shuttle service to and from the airport for only $2 per room. We're situated just 3.6 miles away, less than a 10-minute drive.

Looking for a hotel near Ft Lauderdale Airport? Stay with us, and enjoy scheduled shuttle service to and from the airport for only $2 per room. We're situated just 3.6 miles away, less than a 10-minute drive.

Yep, that was my understanding, too. Contrary to what a previous poster had indicated. It used to be free in both directions, then they started to charge to the airport due to an FLL excise tax, then last year we were charged from FLL to the hotel, so this comports with what happened to us. At least it was only $2 per room and not pp.

I had read on these boards a while back that the Hyatt Pier 66 is soon to become a non Hyatt

Then the $2.00 charge from FLL to hotel has been implicated since we stayed there a year ago....Sorry I'm not up on the latest updates.

When booking with ValueTrips you pay directly to the hotel when you check out...so it seems your certificates will work....Why not call Hyatt Place directly to verify this. I have had on occasion a question and when speaking to them directly have encountered very nice helpful staff.

Yep, that was my understanding, too. Contrary to what a previous poster had indicated. It used to be free in both directions, then they started to charge to the airport due to an FLL excise tax, then last year we were charged from FLL to the hotel, so this comports with what happened to us. At least it was only $2 per room and not pp.

I had read on these boards a while back that the Hyatt Pier 66 is soon to become a non Hyatt

I guess we need to put a time stamp "disclaimer" on any info we offer ;)

Has anyone used these (actual name-Hyatt Check Certificate) before? Is it just like using cash? Do you book and then when you arrive present these "checks" for payment?

I guess this means we'll be possibly staying at a Hyatt if things work out. It looks like my options would be either the Hyatt Place on 17th or Hyatt Regency.

Now I'm wondering if I can book using a place like valuetrips or kayak and be able to use these certificates? Is payment due in full when booking using these places? I have never used anything like this before. :confused:

I believe the Hyatt Check Certificates are like purchasing a gift card. If you book through valuetrips (which really is like booking with a rate code like AAA), you should be able to apply them towards your stay.

Mid April is nearing the end of Spring Break. Book something now that can be cancelled. Then start looking at Priceline about a month out. Don't book Plantation unless you have a rental car. For 1 night it isn't worth saving a few dollars and the hassle of finding transportation.

I would say the top two requests on here are hotels with free shuttle and free breakfast. Don't limit your hotel choices to include those things!

Transportation from anywhere within Fort Lauderdale proper to the airport and port is inexpensive. Fort Lauderdale is extremely suburban so there are strip malls galore. Finding a drug store, gas station, etc. is usually as easy as a walk down the street.

You're probably not going to be able to use a gift card to pay for the hotel unless you get a rate specifically that allows you to pay at check in. Even then I would verify with the hotel first. Third party sites typically offer both rates, with the pay in full/nonrefundable rate being slightly cheaper.

I would definitely recommend the Hyatt Regency over Hyatt Place. There two are night and day different and occasionally the price is similar. There are other Rapid Rewards hotel partners too that may be worth looking into.

You're probably not going to be able to use a gift card to pay for the hotel unless you get a rate specifically that allows you to pay at check in. Even then I would verify with the hotel first. Third party sites typically offer both rates, with the pay in full/nonrefundable rate being slightly cheaper.

The Hyatt Check Certificates are not like a voucher with a 3rd party. They work like gift cards in terms of acceptable forms of payment. So it can be used with the ValueTrips rate. Payment isn't due until checkout.

And for mitsugirly, I have your answer on using them at this location. If you hoover of the hotel it shows you that it includes The Check Certificate as form of payment. https://www.certificates.hyatt.com/ParticipationLocations.aspx

Hi Kim,

We stayed at the Embassy Suites and the breakfast buffet was incredible! Such a presentation that I asked several times if there was a fee! It's held in the gorgeous atrium in the center of the resort. I was really impressed.

Here's a discount code for the Embassy Suites: 0560041604

There's plenty around the area for food, shopping, etc... I believe there was a Publix behind the hotel. I sent hubby there for a case of water.

The taxi to the port for my family of 4 was $10. No need to pay for a shuttle.

Also check out the local trolley. It was very inexpensive. We rode it to the beach then stopped at the mall.

What ship are you sailing next?

Edited by goofygal531

On Dec 3, 2016 we took the Hyatt Place 17th shuttle from the airport and were not charged anything. Perhaps your situation was a mistake? I know there is a charge TO the airport.

Edited by DaveOKC

I believe the Hyatt Check Certificates are like purchasing a gift card. If you book through valuetrips (which really is like booking with a rate code like AAA), you should be able to apply them towards your stay.

Mid April is nearing the end of Spring Break. Book something now that can be cancelled. Then start looking at Priceline about a month out. Don't book Plantation unless you have a rental car. For 1 night it isn't worth saving a few dollars and the hassle of finding transportation.

I took your advice and decided to at least go ahead and book using valuetrips. I don't think I'm going to find a better deal for the price and being able to use the certificates that I can get for free pretty much seals the deal for me. :)

I would say the top two requests on here are hotels with free shuttle and free breakfast. Don't limit your hotel choices to include those things!

Transportation from anywhere within Fort Lauderdale proper to the airport and port is inexpensive. Fort Lauderdale is extremely suburban so there are strip malls galore. Finding a drug store, gas station, etc. is usually as easy as a walk down the street.

I would definitely recommend the Hyatt Regency over Hyatt Place. There two are night and day different and occasionally the price is similar. There are other Rapid Rewards hotel partners too that may be worth looking into.

What other Rapid Rewards hotel partners are you referring to? The only other hotels they offer is Best Western, some bed and breakfast, Fairmont? and then some iHotel gift cards??

Yes, when booking, you only use your cc to hold the reservation. You pay when you check in. They have a 24 hour cancellation policy. So, I can cancel any time before I leave the day before.

The Hyatt Check Certificates are not like a voucher with a 3rd party. They work like gift cards in terms of acceptable forms of payment. So it can be used with the ValueTrips rate. Payment isn't due until checkout.

And for mitsugirly, I have your answer on using them at this location. If you hoover of the hotel it shows you that it includes The Check Certificate as form of payment. https://www.certificates.hyatt.com/ParticipationLocations.aspx

Awesome! Thanks! :D

Hi Kim,

We stayed at the Embassy Suites and the breakfast buffet was incredible! Such a presentation that I asked several times if there was a fee! It's held in the gorgeous atrium in the center of the resort. I was really impressed.

Here's a discount code for the Embassy Suites: 0560041604

There's plenty around the area for food, shopping, etc... I believe there was a Publix behind the hotel. I sent hubby there for a case of water.

The taxi to the port for my family of 4 was $10. No need to pay for a shuttle.

Also check out the local trolley. It was very inexpensive. We rode it to the beach then stopped at the mall.

What ship are you sailing next?

I tried finding out the price there and I can't figure out where you put in the code. It let me go to the end (with a price of about $50 higher than the Hyatt), but didn't give me an option to enter a code. Maybe it's because it had me already signed in to my Hilton Honors account?

How does one find out how much a taxi to the port from the hotels are? Do you just call a cab and ask them when they get there?

We will be on the Conquest next.

So it can be used with the ValueTrips rate. Payment isn't due until checkout.

So one other question...

Since the room on valuetrips is $219. I assume I would just buy 2 of the $100 certificates and then have to pay the $19 on my card right? I wouldn't think they would give cash back on another $100. :confused:

A good friend of mine just tried to book Hyatt with valuetrips last week and it took 3 days to receive word back (as it said it might), and they received a decline as their date was within their "black out" period. They were booking for Mar 31st. So I hope you can get it for their rate and your day is still not withint their black out window. If not then well, free is still free with your gift cards. Good luck.