Cell Phones Onboard...

NavyCruiser

Loved the old days before cell phones, where we took cruises to truly getaway for family vacations.

In the early years of cell phones, we brought onboard One family cell phone on our cruise. Daughter made phone calls from a foreign port, & we came back with a $800 cell phone bill.

Since then, within the first 5 mins onboard, we all take out the phone batteries & all goes into the room safe for the next 7 days. Off the grid all week. Life is good.

Today, our kids (actually college grad adults now) insists on keeping the phone on & on airplane mode to use them as cameras. They make fun of us for still using our $100 pocket camera, until one dropped their smartphone in the water on the beach. Still laughing at their $650 experiment that salt water is bad for phones.

We now have T-Mobile international plan, free/included with our basic plan, & so far all the foreign ports we've visited on cruises are included with free unlimited data (at 3G speed instead of 4G or LTE), free unlimited texts, voice calls at 20 cents/minutes (but we use free VOIP programs for voice calls). So we can at least check our emails & internet at each port, & safely inside the safe while at sea.

Our parents still cruise with old fashioned walkie-talkies to communicate while onboard.

So what's this new HUB app avail now?

Why would we need that while onboard now?

What's the advantages vs risks involved?

So are we going to see lots of people walking around glued to their cell phones while onboard now?

Not used it. It appears that it operates over the ships signal, most likely wifi. Looks like you can use it to text other people on the ship so if you want to change plans or make plans at last minute you can tell others what you are doing. Would certainly be cheaper than buying an onboard wifi plan.

What kind of phone do you have? If you still have a regular cell phone that does not have a data plan I don't think you would be able to use this. If you have a smart phone the number 1 thing you need to make sure you do is have your "data roaming" turned off. It's usually under options under "cellular". Data roaming is about the highest cost item you can run into these days; can easily rack up hundreds in data charges without realizing it.

You certainly don't need to take the batteries out if you have a smart phone. Simply put in airplane mode and it cannot receive or send any communications over cellular networks. You can turn wifi on and off independently, but you will need to purchase your wifi service before you connect, and usually agree to the terms and conditions, so no real danger of racking up charges via wifi.

If you still have a text/number only phone, stick with what you are doing. I have no idea how to make those phones safe at sea.

It may help to explain it this way. Your phone can communicate with other phones/electronics/internet in a number of ways.

1. Bluetooth - completely free to use, puts out a very short wavelength, somewhat similar to a terrible walkie talkie. But good for things that are close together: phone/headphones, phone/speakers, phone/computer, etc.

2. Airplay - Just like Bluetooth, completely free to use, Apple devices only. Thing Samsung devices have their own version of this.

3. Wi-Fi - purely internet. Many phones have the ability to do voice calls, face time calls, text messaging via internet. Prices are controlled because you have to choose to connect to a new network, and when you do that you are presented with cost options and the terms of use (i.e. free for 30 minutes). You cannot connect to a wifi network you've never used automatically.

4. Cellular - Operates via cell towers when you are land, which are owned by cell phone carriers. So, T-Mobile owns some towers and lets you use all of those with your plan; they rent space at other towers in the US and let you use that with your plan. When you are on land outside the US, that's when your run into either needing an international plane OR you will get charged by the minute. When you are at sea, you are too far from land to connect to cell towers so the cellular operates via satellite dishes with cellular at sea. Cellular at sea will only charge by the minute and is very pricey. Cellular further breaks down into voice/text and data. Which varys the pricing structure, whether you pay by the minute, by the test, or by the gig... but All works the same. The problem is that if your cellular is on, it will connect to any network it can. Doesn't ask permission or tell you what the price will be. This is what your risk is for racking up charges. If airplane mode is on, cellular will not connect. Simple as that, that's why your kids feel safe using their phones all the time with airplane mode on.

No need to pull batteries. Even airplane mode is overkill. Just turn data roaming off. - it should be off by default Your only charges will be if you make or receive a call or send a text.

With T-Mobil's international data plan, I'd expect it to work in port but not on the cruise ship cellular network. Be careful that you don't accidentally use data on the cellular at sea network.

The hub app has a ship map, a full copy of the fun times schedules, and lets you send text messages to other hub app users. The texting feature is $5 per cruise and it works over the shop's wifi network.

Many phones have wifi calling now. If you buy a wifi plan and your phone shows that wifi calling is active, it'll work and cost just like at home anywhere in the world.

Loved the old days before cell phones, where we took cruises to truly getaway for family vacations.

In the early years of cell phones, we brought onboard One family cell phone on our cruise. Daughter made phone calls from a foreign port, & we came back with a $800 cell phone bill.

Since then, within the first 5 mins onboard, we all take out the phone batteries & all goes into the room safe for the next 7 days. Off the grid all week. Life is good.

Today, our kids (actually college grad adults now) insists on keeping the phone on & on airplane mode to use them as cameras. They make fun of us for still using our $100 pocket camera, until one dropped their smartphone in the water on the beach. Still laughing at their $650 experiment that salt water is bad for phones.

We now have T-Mobile international plan, free/included with our basic plan, & so far all the foreign ports we've visited on cruises are included with free unlimited data (at 3G speed instead of 4G or LTE), free unlimited texts, voice calls at 20 cents/minutes (but we use free VOIP programs for voice calls). So we can at least check our emails & internet at each port, & safely inside the safe while at sea.

Our parents still cruise with old fashioned walkie-talkies to communicate while onboard.

So what's this new HUB app avail now?

So are we going to see lots of people walking around glued to their cell phones while onboard now?

Agree 100 percent with this. I deal with social media daily and leaving the phone in the safe is the best. One less thing I have to worry about loosing or getting stolen on the ship Yes folks stuff does get stolen. I need to be more concerned with drinking my 15 drinks Happy new year

...So what's this new HUB app avail now?

HUB app is available on some ships but will be all of them eventually. You can download the app now and see a countdown timer to your next cruise, add an avatar picture of yourself and see a list of the ships it's currently available on. You will also see a link for logging into the app once you get on board. Carnival will provide you with login details at that time.

I don't guess you _need_ it but it's pretty cool for geeks like me. You can see the Fun Times for your cruise and set reminders for things you want to see and do. You can see you current Sign and Sail charges. If you are on ships that support electronic Pixels (Vista only right now I think) you can look at pictures they've taken of you. You can see a map of each floor of the ship and see a list of food and drink venues and where they are.

I suspect they will be adding more features as we go along.

You can do all that for free. You set your phone to airplane mode but then go into your settings and turn wifi back on. This lets you connect to the ship's wifi and use the HUB app. Since you already enabled airplane mode you have turned off data roaming so there's no charge from your carrier (I have T-Mobile too - worked great in all the Caribbean ports we've hit so far too).

Additionally, for 5 dollars per cruise, you can enable chat mode and that lets you text through the app to anyone else on board the ship who also has chat enabled. People linked in your booking are already in your contact list and you can add new people you meet if you desire.

I can't imagine there's any risk involved - the most it can cost you is 5 bucks if you enable chat.

I didn't notice any more people than usual looking at their phones on the last 2 cruises I've been on. Probably because I was busy looking at mine. If I don't crush that candy, who will?

Incidentally, after looking at my last cruise pics, I think my phone takes better pictures than my cheapie little point and shoot. I'll see how my DSLR does when we go to Panama.

In summation: HUB is good. :)

NavyCruiser contradicts himself, first you sat take out batteries and then said it was a $650 phone, which would be a smart phone and you can not take batteries out of a smart phone.

Some Android phones do have removable batteries.

NavyCruiser contradicts himself, first you sat take out batteries and then said it was a $650 phone, which would be a smart phone and you can not take batteries out of a smart phone.

LG and other companies still make flagship smartphones with removable batteries.

http://www.androidauthority.com/best-android-phones-removable-battery-697520/

Edited by BuckeyeCruiseGuy

I got a stack of LG smart phones on my desk right now that I'm supposed to be setting up and putting the batteries in but I'm typing this instead.

I'll get a round tuit though.

352nc3s.jpg

For a self proclaimed "techie" you should know that some smart phones do indeed have removable batteries. iPhone, however, does not.

I just put my phone in airplane mode and use phone only for pics. On our last cruise with son and his family, he bought a wifi package for them all, and they spent more time in their cabins on devices than enjoying a cruise. We only saw these grandchildren when they showed up for dinner! And they kept texting their dad to return to cabin after dinner, so he never participated in anything! I just don't get it!!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I just put my phone in airplane mode and use phone only for pics. On our last cruise with son and his family, he bought a wifi package for them all, and they spent more time in their cabins on devices than enjoying a cruise. We only saw these grandchildren when they showed up for dinner! And they kept texting their dad to return to cabin after dinner, so he never participated in anything! I just don't get it!!

Yes, agree with you 100% about this.

We try to make these family cruises about getting entirely off the grid & a vacation from everyday tech/social media grind, for a week of face-to-face in-person social interactions with real people...

DH took many pix (a real camera) of people on the ship just using their phones like there was nothing else to do. Rows of people in chairs constantly, teens, adults and many younger children (ridiculous if they actually have phones of their own). During the theater shows, the MDR, the comedy club, breakfast time, lunch time and all through dinner, Bingo, really?

Every port we got off at there were people off the ship(s) that were leaning against walls, buildings or just squatting and getting the free wifi signal for their phones. We dont get it and never will, we are in our late 40's/early 50's and have a teen, phone in safe for duration of trip. Works beautifully!

Imagine the money spent for these vacations, to spend time with family and maybe see something different in the world and they are all lined up on their phones. Yeah, I would not be spending money for those people, finding a place for them stay while I go on vacation is more like it. Ridiculous.....

The only reason I keep my phone on me while cruising is because I run my own business and have employees. I also travel overseas a lot and have a satellite phone that comes with me but I thankfully haven't had to use it while on vacation. I still buy the Internet package for my computer because the data link between the Mac and satellite is slow and in the middle of the ocean can get spotty at times.

The only reason I keep my phone on me while cruising is because I run my own business and have employees. I also travel overseas a lot and have a satellite phone that comes with me but I thankfully haven't had to use it while on vacation. I still buy the Internet package for my computer because the data link between the Mac and satellite is slow and in the middle of the ocean can get spotty at times.

Sorry. I'm old school. What do you think businessmen used to do on vacation before cell phones? My hubby leaves his phone home, and we totally unplug. That is what a vacation is for.

DH took many pix (a real camera) of people on the ship just using their phones like there was nothing else to do. Rows of people in chairs constantly, teens, adults and many younger children (ridiculous if they actually have phones of their own). During the theater shows, the MDR, the comedy club, breakfast time, lunch time and all through dinner, Bingo, really?

Every port we got off at there were people off the ship(s) that were leaning against walls, buildings or just squatting and getting the free wifi signal for their phones. We dont get it and never will, we are in our late 40's/early 50's and have a teen, phone in safe for duration of trip. Works beautifully!

Imagine the money spent for these vacations, to spend time with family and maybe see something different in the world and they are all lined up on their phones. Yeah, I would not be spending money for those people, finding a place for them stay while I go on vacation is more like it. Ridiculous.....

I totally agree with you! When I think of all the money my son wasted by allowing his children to use their devices when on a very expensive vacation, it makes me cringe! My other son and his family also traveled with us, and they locked their phones in the safe. We saw this family through the the cruise, while the others sat somewhere on their devices. What the heck is the matter with people!

I to have a business ... I have people I leave in charge .. They handle everything , I'm on vacation .. Phone locked is safe for the week

I to have a business ... I have people I leave in charge .. They handle everything , I'm on vacation .. Phone locked is safe for the week

Precisely!! My hubby was Director of Operation for a corporation before retiring, and he totally unplugged. THAT is what a vacation is for!

I got a stack of LG smart phones on my desk right now that I'm supposed to be setting up and putting the batteries in but I'm typing this instead.

I'll get a round tuit though.

352nc3s.jpg

Good one

I am a Smartphone dummy, but have one. I used the HUB app on my last cruise- liked it. It gives you the daily funtimes, food venues open times, & other general info. I liked having it & it was fairly easy for a smartphone dummy to use. We did have a problem with our SIM card afterward though. We have since learned that the Walmart "straight Talk" SIM cards will shut themselves down when taken out of the US. It was suggested we remove the SIM card prior to leaving home & just using the wifi connections while out of the US. This is most likely just a glitch in the cheapie smart phones of Walmart.

Edited by Banditswife

For the most part I am able to leave it with my assistants, but it never fails I will have a client or two that will only talk to me. Most people are happy with just an email answer, thankfully.

Sorry. I'm old school. What do you think businessmen used to do on vacation before cell phones? My hubby leaves his phone home, and we totally unplug. That is what a vacation is for.

Thankfully, I can handle most things while on vacation with just an email and I only check it twice a day on vacation. I have gotten better at being with my family than just being there.

I had a great conversation with a retired CEO who would go on cruises and safaris. We talked about unplugging and he said even though it was hard to get in touch with him they always found a way.

Agree with most of the posts above about leaving my business behind & going off the grid for a wk. That's what I'm paying my staff for & all the work will def be there when I get back.

I do pull the phone out of safe when we pull into port, insert battery, power up, watch T-Mobile's text that says: "Welcome to ____" & see 3G connection, spend next 2 minutes to download emails, quickly scroll thru the hundred junk emails, reply to 1 or 2 important ones, ignor the rest, check weather at next port, shut down phone, remove batteries, back into safe.

So I budget 5 minutes 3 - 4 times a cruise, the business & IRS always welcomes us back with open arms at end of the cruise.

Not sure we'll like to lug around the phone to use HUB to see the daily activities, always prefer the paper version, where we can circle & mark it up. If we lose it, no problem, pick up another...

Good one

I am a Smartphone dummy, but have one. I used the HUB app on my last cruise- liked it. It gives you the daily funtimes, food venues open times, & other general info. I liked having it & it was fairly easy for a smartphone dummy to use. We did have a problem with our SIM card afterward though. We have since learned that the Walmart "straight Talk" SIM cards will shut themselves down when taken out of the US. It was suggested we remove the SIM card prior to leaving home & just using the wifi connections while out of the US. This is most likely just a glitch in the cheapie smart phones of Walmart.

Not a glitch with "cheapie" smart phones from Walmart. If you want the phone to work outside the US, you need to buy the International plan ($60 per month)through Straight Talk, rather than the regular plan ($45). My phone is on the Straight Talk plan, as I was tired of contracts and paying huge amounts to the large cell companies. My phone is a genuine iPhone by Apple--not a cheap Walmart phone--that I paid out of pocket up front for $799!!! It all depends what plan you buy. I do not bother getting the International plan when I travel because I prefer to "unplug" on vacation.