Get ready for Ocean Medallion Class™

IECalCruiser

Does that mean we should have more of it?

Whether you like it or not, it is happening everywhere and will continue. And every time you post on CC, there is more.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

There's a law. Your passport photo can be no better looking than the one on your driver's license. :D

Oddly, my last two driver's license pics are great. Now my passport photo is a different matter. I look like Fugitive From Justice #1.

My first thought was that the stuff that's made for the Medallions won't be cheap (& I squeeze all the pennies out of my nickles :D).

In one of the videos showing the Medallion, I noticed a "hole" that's made to slide a chain through. I've got chains ;). Before I buy the available options from Princess, I'm going to see if I have something that will work.

You could even slide a "split ring" through the hole and use your already purchased lanyard (got a bunch of those, too).

I may be wrong but that hole your saw in the video is not part of the Medallion itself but part of the necklace that the Medallion slips into. The same Medallion snap into a wrist band (cheap one provided) and more extensive ones that they'll sell you as well as the necklace.

I'll probably make something that holds the Medallion to carry on a belt loop or even put in my pocket.

What Tom said. Also, I'm grateful to Princess for the military credit. The OBC is very much appreciated.

Al from Minneapolis

Yep, Al, we agree about the veterans' OBC. It's especially nice here because both m wife and I receive it :p Out of curiosity, I've looked around at a number of different cruise lines and have yet to find another one that provides the same benefit or even any benefit that provides a benefit to anybody with a DD-214 showing an honorable discharge. Not saying that there isn't one, just that I've been unable to find one. I believe that's quite generous!

Tom

Cunard gives military OBC. The same amount as Princess.

We booked a Cunard cruise and DH's info went to Cunard without us having to do anything.

Really? Interesting;. Okay, I just went over to Cunard's website and looked all over, including the FAQs and was unable to find any mention at all about a military benefit. They need to do a better job of advertising that as that might gain them a cruiser or two! Without putting out information on that, how do they expect someone to know? :confused: Thanks for the info.

Tom

CCL's business decisions have been pretty good. Highly profitable and stock has risen.

As of yesterday's close, CCL is down 1.9% over 52 weeks. The Dow is up about 25% over the same period. The rising tide doesn't float all boats.

Edited by latserrof

Actually it was 52.38 at close on Jan 13 2016 and around 53.50 right now.

I bought at something like 36.98. Many people bought a long time ago when it was vastly less expensive. The dividends of $25 per quarter were great. Now that they've gone up to $35 per quarter it's great. :)

Edited by Thrak

I did too and should have figured my return last year based on that. Then about 30%. And you get to cruise. Can't beat that.

I didn't buy stock until September of 2015 so I'm a real newbie but counting my OBC and dividends and disregarding any increase in stock value I'm still looking at a 17.8% return on my investment, 81% of which is non-taxable (OBC)! It's nice to be so lucky! :p

Tom

I did too and should have figured my return last year based on that. Then about 30%. And you get to cruise. Can't beat that.

$140 per year in dividends and $250 OBC each of my next two cruises. Gotta love it. :)

As far as tracking people also need to have an understanding of reality.

Princess is not going to keep a map of where every cruiser is at every time. Not because of privacy but because it would be a gigantic amount of data processing and storage for something of limited value.

Based on the assumption its similar to Disney, I expect it to be query and aggregate based. For example, ordering a drink or food will work like food at Be Our Guest for lunch. You place the order. When the order is trayed, the system sends out a request for the location of your magic band (medallion) and notified the server who proceeds to that location. They don't store every transaction location. Nor does your band/medallion constantly broadcast location, it does so in response to device query (otherwise the battery would last about 2 days)

What they do instead is do a combination of checkpoint sampling and flow monitoring. For example, how many people are in location X at time X (during a show or event). Or how many people passed point Y in a given time period (like the entrance to the buffet or dining room) to generate metrics that help them streamline load.

The only individual level tracking Disney does is line tracking (your band can be tagged when you enter the queue and when you exit) but even that is aggregated on a period basis and they don't retain line items for that long.

Now, to be fair I don't know exactly how Princess will sample, store and use data - I doubt they do yet, they will see what they get. But concerns of them 'monitoring' where individuals go at any given moment are likely unfounded without cause.

Really? Interesting;. Okay, I just went over to Cunard's website and looked all over, including the FAQs and was unable to find any mention at all about a military benefit. They need to do a better job of advertising that as that might gain them a cruiser or two! Without putting out information on that, how do they expect someone to know? :confused: Thanks for the info.

Tom

http://www.cunard.com/campaigns/military-cruise-benefit-programme/?id=3934

Al from Minneapolis

Thanks for the info; I had thought the medallions were supposed to be battery-free, like -- dare I say it? -- a cruise card?

Will :cool: hide my identity?

If hiding means that much to you, purchase an RFID wallet before you board. They'll never see you except when you go in your cabin.

Thanks for the info; I had thought the medallions were supposed to be battery-free, like -- dare I say it? -- a cruise card?

They have said the medallions work on Bluetooth LE (Low Energy) and NFC. NFC is what your chipped credit/debit card uses and requires no battery. This is the communication method used to make purchases. Bluetooth LE started with Bluetooth 4.0 and requires power but as the name suggests it is low energy so the battery should last for longer than the longest cruise.

Google "Bluetooth LE" for more detailed information.

I hear you.

I wonder if they'll include a audible tone to contact other people with the new system. They told me that they were working on something last Nov & it just might be part of it. That'll give them all something to complain about. :rolleyes:

No to the beeps, imagine a hundred of the rotten things going off all it once.

Additionally even if it made a noise how would you know who wanted you to contact them or where to contact them.

Yuck, yuck yuck.

Maybe vibrate.

Additionally even if it made a noise how would you know who wanted you to contact them or where to contact them.

Yuck, yuck yuck.

Maybe vibrate.

I'm with you. NO to audible tones!!!

They have said the medallions work on Bluetooth LE (Low Energy) and NFC. NFC is what your chipped credit/debit card uses and requires no battery. This is the communication method used to make purchases. Bluetooth LE started with Bluetooth 4.0 and requires power but as the name suggests it is low energy so the battery should last for longer than the longest cruise.

Google "Bluetooth LE" for more detailed information.

Thanks, mates.

Edited by latserrof

Yuck, yuck yuck.

Maybe vibrate.

I was told by someone in the internet dept that they were working on an audible tone prior to the announcement of the Medallions, but that they were having problems with the development.

As fare as the noise goes....how about 3 or 4 walkie talkies chatting back & forth. Isn't that noisy?

For all you folks who are complaining about the price of accessories to hold your medallions:

Just wait for a couple of months after they are introduced and I'm sure you will find plenty of after-market accessories at much lower prices than Princess offers. Some may be much more creative as well!

For all you folks who are complaining about the price of accessories to hold your medallions:

Just wait for a couple of months after they are introduced and I'm sure you will find plenty of after-market accessories at much lower prices than Princess offers. Some may be much more creative as well!

I'm sure the Chinese are working on them as we speak. :D

I was told by someone in the internet dept that they were working on an audible tone prior to the announcement of the Medallions, but that they were having problems with the development.

As fare as the noise goes....how about 3 or 4 walkie talkies chatting back & forth. Isn't that noisy?

Fortunately only seen WalkieTalkie talkies once.

And on that one experience they should be banned.