no luggage, YC upgrade, Splendida cruise

electro

Warning: this is long.:o

I’ve often said that when travelling, the one thing that separates an ordeal from an adventure is attitude. I got to put that to the test when flying out of Denver on Dec 17.

We had booked a flight from Denver to Fort Lauderdale on Southwest for the 17th leaving at 6:55 and arriving in FLL at 2 PM. We had a flight from Miami to Rome on Alitalia leaving at 855 pm arriving in Rome at 1230 pm on Sunday.

Drove to Denver Friday after work and stayed in an airport hotel where we would leave our car during our trip. We were is short sleeves on Friday because it was so warm. Got up at 330 Sat morning to about 6 inches of snow. Check online, says flight is on time. yay, take the shuttle to the airport.

While waiting to check luggage, get notification, flight cancelled. DH gets on the internet and books on flight to FLL at 9 am on United. When we get to the counter, we are told by southwest that they couldn’t get us to FLL until the next day. That would not work so we say just refund us and we head to united to check in there.

Get to the gate, our plane is there, and other flights were taking off so we figured we were good.

At 650, flight was cancelled. we had a plane but no crew. I start to look at the possibility of changing our Alitalia flight to the next night, it will be expensive and DH would miss the Scavi tour on Monday morning and if there is any delay, we would miss the ship in Civitavecchia.

We decide we will do our best to make the flight Sat night.

We get rebooked on a flight at 11:15 am that will arrive it FLL at 5:00. That is starting to cut it close because we still have to get from FLL to Miami airport.

We check the flight and find out that the plane is coming in from Philly so we start watching that flight and it is delayed, and delayed, and delayed. We figure our 11:15 flight is going to be delayed or cancelled.

At 7:50 we check the board and see a flight to Fort Myers leaving at 8:30 and status is on time.

We check google maps and find that it is a 2 hour drive from Miami.

We go to the gate and see that the board says the flight is full. We get in line for the counter and while waiting, my DH rents a car online for Ft Myers airport.

We ask to be put on the standby list but not taken off our confirmed flight in case we dont get on this one.

She said she can put us on the list but there is not enough time to retrieve our luggage.

My Dh looks at me and says “what do you want to do?”. I replied, “I’d rather be in Rome without luggage that be in Denver with my luggage”. We were number 1 and 3 on the standby list and we both got on.

By the time the plane got de iced, it was an hour late and we arrived in Ft Myers after 3:30 pm.

We check on the status of the flight to FLL and it was not due to arrive at 6:10 pm. We went to the luggage office and told them we would probably not have time to get our luggage in FLL and would pick it up on the way home.

Picked up the rental car and it was after 4:00 we we left the airport. Some traffic in Miami, by the time we returned the rental car it was 7:00 when we checked in. Figured we made the right decision to not try to get to FLL first to pick up luggage because we would probably just be leaving there at this time and with traffic and returning the car would not have made it to Miami in time for our flight. Through security, by 7:15, stop at pharmacy to pick up some toiletries and board the plane at 7:55.

It was a long and adventurous day but with a good attitude and a little outside the box thinking, we were on our flight to Rome.

More to follow, Rome, Yacht Club upgrade , cruise etc.

Lois

Edited by electro

“I’d rather be in Rome without luggage that be in Denver with my luggage”.

When you put it that way...

Travel is all about attitude. I've had similar experiences, though sadly my end destination was Austin, not Rome.

Looking forward to the rest of your report.

Oh my. It is a live trip report.

I hope you have trip insurance to cover some of this. And yeah I would go on without my luggage too !

We leave for Europe next week. Hopefully it will be a bit less dramatic for us.

Oh my. It is a live trip report.

I hope you have trip insurance to cover some of this. And yeah I would go on without my luggage too !

We leave for Europe next week. Hopefully it will be a bit less dramatic for us.

Sorry, not live and not really a trip report. We got home on Tuesday.

I will post more on the weekend but it will not be as detailed.

I just wanted to get the part about getting there without luggage out there so other people traveling in the winter will maybe see this and not let mishaps like delayed fights and lost luggage ruin their vacation.

I will get more posted on the weekend.

Lois

So true!

We had this happen actually on a trip to Italy several years ago in terms of luggage lost. We spent a pretty penny at H&M to replace the staples (and didn't receive anything from the airline- although the luggage arrived back stateside 2 months later!).

Still was one of the most memorable and beautiful trips I've taken!

So true!

We had this happen actually on a trip to Italy several years ago in terms of luggage lost. We spent a pretty penny at H&M to replace the staples (and didn't receive anything from the airline- although the luggage arrived back stateside 2 months later!).

Still was one of the most memorable and beautiful trips I've taken!

I've often heard people say they've lost their luggage and it ruined their vacation and I think "only because you let it".

I alway say as long as I have passport and a credit card, everything else is expendable.

Glad you didn't let it ruin your vacation.

Lois

the saga continues :D

Arrived in Rome, got to our hotel in Trastevere and did an inventory of our carry ons.

I had no clothes at all in my carry on, only what I wore on the plane. My DH had 2 pairs of pants, 7 pairs of socks, 3 pairs of underwear, 2 t-shirts, a bathing suit and his running shoes plus what he wore on the plane which included his suit jacket and a dressier pair of shoes so he was pretty much set.

So off we go shopping. We stopped at a bunch of little shops and i manage to find 3 tops, 2 pairs and pants and some undergarments. My dh get 3 dress shirts and a cute bowtie.

We walk around Piazza Navona, Campo de Fiore, and find a nice little place to eat on a out of the was side street for dinner.

On the way back to the hotel, we take a walk through Trastevere and I find a shoe store where I find a cute pair of shoes that fit me.

The next morning, we walk to the Vatican for our 10:15 Scavi tour. We had been trying to get a Scavi tour since the first time we were in Rome in 2006 but they never had any spots available so there was no way we were going to miss this. It was awesome!

Finished at 1130, walked back to the hotel, picked up or carryons, and walked to the Trastevere train station and made the 12:50 train to Civitavecchia.

As I posted before I left, we had booked 2 weeks, the first week in a Fantastica balcony and the second week in the YC.

About a week before we left, our first week got upgraded to the YC. The e docs we received stated that all the Y perks were included.

As we are waiting to board the ship, the butler tells us that we have a YC room but not the perks! He said if we want them, then go to guest services. He aslo said to let them know about not having our luggage.

So once we board, we docs in hand we head to guest services. We show them the docs that state everything is included. He said, that wasn’t supposed to be on there. We say, too bad, it is there and you should honor it. So he goes to talk to a supervisor. Comes back and says no one on the ship can make that decision and they have to call head office. In the meantime, go to the concierge desk and fill out a form about our luggage.

We get some lunch, and then head to the YC Concierge desk, fill out the luggage form and ask her to call guest services to see if they heard back form shore side. The answer is no, they will not honor the info they sent to us. We asked to talk to the supervisor in person.

She comes to the Concierges desk and states that there is nothing she can do, head office said no. If we want the perks, we can pay 35 euros pp/pd. She says there is no-one on the ship that can override the head office decision.

I am tired of dealing with this so we pay the 35 euros pp/pd which is for 6 days since we were originally supposed to board in Genoa so this cruise is just 6 days.

I am going to have my TA try to get that reimbursed.

I point out that the docs also say that drinks in all through the ship are included.

She said, yes, they just got the email about that, drinks will be charged and then zeroed out each night. So all drinks the are included in the Allgrissimo package are included outside the YC but it doesn't say on your card so waiters kept trying to sell us the package.

For the luggage, they gave us a 100 euro OBC, free laundry for the entire 2 weeks and put 2 little toilet sets in our room that had toothbrush, toothpaste, razor, a MSC t-shirt and a few other things.

we sent out laundry every second evening it was always back the next day before dinner.

So now for the cruise.

I’m not going to do this in great detail, I will give the highlights and lowlights with a bit of a comparison to the NCL Haven and will answer any questions that I can.

First up, Yacht Club.

Last Feb I did a 14 night cruise in the NCL Haven and I have to say that the service in the YC far exceeded the Haven.

Each afternoon and evening there was a piano player in the Top Sail lounge. She was excellent.

The service was prompt and professional and friendly.

The TS Lounge was open every night until 2 am. When in the Haven, several nights we wanted to have a nightcap in the haven lounge before bed only to get there and find the bar closed as early as 10PM.

The YC restaurant was excellent with lobster severed 2 nights each week. This may have been because we sailed over Christmas and News Years Eve so I can’t swear that it is always served.

One thing that the YC restaurant has over the haven restaurant is the the YC menus change daily for both lunch and dinner. And of course the excellent risottos.

We liked our waiter Slava so much that we request to be in his section for the second week as well. He was very professional but serious. My DH did make him laugh out loud one night on the second week when he order the beef tartar and asked for it to be served well done.:eek:

Slava tried to remain serious but couldn’t hold in the laugh.:D We tipped both him and his assistant on the last night, New Year’s eve.

The one bar and pool were very nice and served breakfast and lunch. We didn’t spend much time here because we were in port almost every day and the weather was a little cool.

My DH did use the hot tub here a couple of times and we had breakfast outside once.

Cabins:

The first week we were in 15034. The cabin was about the size of a mini suite on NCL but had a walk in closet which was great. There was plenty of room for 2 although it was a little tight for both of us to was by the end of the bed at the same time.

The second week we in 16035, one of the square cabins. There was tons of room in this cabin.

the balcony was huge, plenty of room for 2 loungers if the weather had been warmer.

Next up, entertainment, port and misc.

Lois

Entertainment

We only went to a couple of shows and they were good.

They had flamenco dancers on the night we were in Barcelona and they were great.

On the first week, they had a mini production of Carmen on the afternoon of the sea day which was excellent.

Bars and Lounges

The classical trio in the atrium was very good and the 2 violinist would come in to the YC restaurant each night and play a couple of songs.

Piano player in the wine bar was likewise good but this was not sign along music.

The guitar player in the Puna Bar was good but kinda depression.

I did not like the duos in the jazz bar. They did not play anything remotely like jazz.

the blond girl had the stage presence of a 2x4. the second duet that played here were a little bit better, but not much.

The best singer on the ship played in the worst venue, the Piazzetta.

Awful place to sit and listen to music, uncomfortable, people coming over trying to sell you stuff.

Poor acoustics. This should have been a place that they just had back ground music, not their best singer.

this duet, I think there name was “just for you” should have been in the Jazz bar. They were they only ones that did anything Jazz. The first song I heard her sign was “At last” by Eta James and if you know that song you know it is not easy.

She did a great job.

Ports

Palermo

Frist week we did a bit of shopping, stopped by a church, DH got his hair cut and then we found a little out of the way spot to have a glass of wine and arancini, a specialty of Palermo.

Second week I really wanted pizza so we went walking around and found a place called it Pipino Rosso where we had some amazing pizza and then headed back to the ship.

Malta

Week we took the stairs up to the city of Valetta (you can take the elevator) and walked around, took the little train for 5 euros that takes you around and tells you about the town. They found a restaurant on a small street that had a lunch tasting menu of Maltese specialties. We then walked back to the ship.

Second week we took a tour that took us to a church with the 3rd largest unsupported dome in the world. Then to Mdina where we did a walking tour of the city and then to Mdina glass factory where I bought some beautiful christmas balls. Where we were dropped back at the port, we had some time so walked along the waterfront, got some lunch and then back to the port.

Barcelona

walked around La Rambla and Bari Gotic, had some tapas and wine and back to the ship.

Week 2, walked up La Rambla, took the metro to Placa Espanga walked around the fountain, and then walked back to La Rambla finding the Barcelona Beer Works and a place for paella on the way.

Marseille

first week took the shuttle down town, walked around the Christmas market, bought a gift for my DD and DH bought some flavored salts for cooking.

Had lunch and back to the ship.

Week 2, took a ships tour to Aix en Provance. Loved it here but there wasn’t enough time.

The tour was too big, 60 people, and although we booked an english tour, it was in both english and german so it too twice as long to explain everything which really cut into our free time.

The guide did not use a mic so unless you were standing right next to her, you couldn’t here anything.

The second time we were in Marseille was News Years Eve and on the way to Genoa the captain stopped the ship of the coast of Cannes at midnight to watch the fireworks for Cannes.

Genoa. Christmas Day,

Walked to town and went to mass at the Cathedral. Walked around a bit looking for a place to have pesto, a specialty of Geona. Most places were closed so we headed back to the ship and along the waterfront found a little restaurant that was open. My DH said it was probably very touristy but we decided to try it anyway. We went in and there was only 1 table for 2 left.

Everyone one in the place was Italian, including a large family of about 20 spanning 4 generations having Christmas dinner. Everyone was talking and laughing and kissing, saying Bonne Natalia to each other and us. It was a great fun, lively atmosphere, definitely not touristy, My DH and I loved it and the pesto was delicious.

Civitavecchia

We did a cooking class in a local restaurant. We made gnocchi, Bolognese sauce, saltimbocca,

eggplant parmigiana and tiramisu. then we got to eat it all for lunch with wine.

In the afternoon we took a tour to Tarquinia which we fell in love with immediately.

We disembarked on Genoa and New Years Day, went to the airport to fly to Rome where we would spend 1 night. took the train to Termini and a bus to our hotel.

I’ve never seen so many people in the streets of Rome at one time as a New years day, it was crazy, you couldn’t walk down a main street it was so crowded. After fighting our way though the hoards of people we made our way to our favorite little restaurant on a very small quite street that you never know was only a few minute walk from Piazza Navona.

We had dinner and then walked back to our hotel to get up early for our flight to miami.

Stayed near FLL airport for a night and picked up our luggage on the way home to Denver.

We had a great cruise and a great Christmas and New Year and can’t wait to go back to Italy again.

If anyone has any questions, please ask, I'll do my best to answer them.

Lois

Ports

Palermo

Frist week we did a bit of shopping, stopped by a church, DH got his hair cut and then we found a little out of the way spot to have a glass of wine and arancini, a specialty of Palermo.

Second week I really wanted pizza so we went walking around and found a place called it Pipino Rosso where we had some amazing pizza and then headed back to the ship.

Malta

Week we took the stairs up to the city of Valetta (you can take the elevator) and walked around, took the little train for 5 euros that takes you around and tells you about the town. They found a restaurant on a small street that had a lunch tasting menu of Maltese specialties. We then walked back to the ship.

Second week we took a tour that took us to a church with the 3rd largest unsupported dome in the world. Then to Mdina where we did a walking tour of the city and then to Mdina glass factory where I bought some beautiful christmas balls. Where we were dropped back at the port, we had some time so walked along the waterfront, got some lunch and then back to the port.

Barcelona

walked around La Rambla and Bari Gotic, had some tapas and wine and back to the ship.

Week 2, walked up La Rambla, took the metro to Placa Espanga walked around the fountain, and then walked back to La Rambla finding the Barcelona Beer Works and a place for paella on the way.

Marseille

first week took the shuttle down town, walked around the Christmas market, bought a gift for my DD and DH bought some flavored salts for cooking.

Had lunch and back to the ship.

Week 2, took a ships tour to Aix en Provance. Loved it here but there wasn’t enough time.

The tour was too big, 60 people, and although we booked an english tour, it was in both english and german so it too twice as long to explain everything which really cut into our free time.

The guide did not use a mic so unless you were standing right next to her, you couldn’t here anything.

The second time we were in Marseille was News Years Eve and on the way to Genoa the captain stopped the ship of the coast of Cannes at midnight to watch the fireworks for Cannes.

Thanks for the details on the ports. We are going next week.

I think I made the right decision booking a private tour in Provence from Marseille as I would generally not even do a English only cruise tour, let along a multilingual one. We are going to Arles/St Remy/Les baux de provence with a private operator. Very cool watching the fireworks from Cannes!

Valleta - are the stairs to the city pretty obvious? We are just going to walk around town as well.

Palermo - oh thanks for the reminder about arancini. I saw that on TV recently.

Sounds like you had decent weather? I see some rain for the next week but hopefully it won't be that bad. Wow, no luggage for a 2 weeks B2B! How many outfits were you rotating? Good attitude indeed.

Thanks for the details on the ports. We are going next week.

I think I made the right decision booking a private tour in Provence from Marseille as I would generally not even do a English only cruise tour, let along a multilingual one. We are going to Arles/St Remy/Les baux de provence with a private operator. Very cool watching the fireworks from Cannes!

Valleta - are the stairs to the city pretty obvious? We are just going to walk around town as well.

Palermo - oh thanks for the reminder about arancini. I saw that on TV recently.

Sounds like you had decent weather? I see some rain for the next week but hopefully it won't be that bad. Wow, no luggage for a 2 weeks B2B! How many outfits were you rotating? Good attitude indeed.

Valetta, when you come out of the cruise port building, go right. At the second set of lights, cross the street and the elevator and stairs are there. the elevator is 1 Euro and the stairs are free. There are 290 steps.

Weather was pretty nice. sunny everyday.

Needed a jacket in Aix en Provance and MDina, Genoa, rest of the days a light hoodie worked.

For outfits I had 4 tops 1 pair of Jeans and 2 pairs of pants for evening.

Had a few t-shirts and my hoodie with my jeans for day time. Had some jewelry with me to dress up the night time outfits.

Lois

I've never sailed on MSC and probably won't, but surely enjoyed your posts and the fact your lack of luggage was not the end of the world for you! Have been to most of your ports (i.e. Palermo in November) so loved reading about what you did.

Thanks Barrheadlass.

Don't rule out MSC, they really are great in Europe.

Which ever line you choose, enjoy all your future cruises.

Lois

So now for the cruise.

I’m not going to do this in great detail, I will give the highlights and lowlights with a bit of a comparison to the NCL Haven and will answer any questions that I can.

First up, Yacht Club.

Last Feb I did a 14 night cruise in the NCL Haven and I have to say that the service in the YC far exceeded the Haven.

Each afternoon and evening there was a piano player in the Top Sail lounge. She was excellent.

The TS Lounge was open every night until 2 am. When in the Haven, several nights we wanted to have a nightcap in the haven lounge before bed only to get there and find the bar closed as early as 10PM.

The YC restaurant was excellent with lobster severed 2 nights each week. This may have been because we sailed over Christmas and News Years Eve so I can’t swear that it is always served.

One thing that the YC restaurant has over the haven restaurant is the the YC menus change daily for both lunch and dinner. And of course the excellent risottos.

We liked our waiter Slava so much that we request to be in his section for the second week as well. He was very professional but serious. My DH did make him laugh out loud one night on the second week when he order the beef tartar and asked for it to be served well done.:eek:

Slava tried to remain serious but couldn’t hold in the laugh.:D We tipped both him and his assistant on the last night, New Year’s eve.

The one bar and pool were very nice and served breakfast and lunch. We didn’t spend much time here because we were in port almost every day and the weather was a little cool.

My DH did use the hot tub here a couple of times and we had breakfast outside once.

Cabins:

The first week we were in 15034. The cabin was about the size of a mini suite on NCL but had a walk in closet which was great. There was plenty of room for 2 although it was a little tight for both of us to was by the end of the bed at the same time.

The second week we in 16035, one of the square cabins. There was tons of room in this cabin.

the balcony was huge, plenty of room for 2 loungers if the weather had been warmer.

Lois

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Electro -

Thanks so much for your insight. We just decided to try the YC and it make us even more excited to try the Seaside in February 2018!

Since we are totally knew to MSC and the YC - we have a couple of questions:

1. With the YC drink package did you have access to the "premium" brands?? Was your YC drink package good at all bars on the ship?? Was there anything that you wish had been included??

2. Our Platinum status with NCL was matched to Black for MSC - which is awesome! When MSC issues account/boarding cards are they based on status (Black) or is there a completely different card for the YC cabins, like the Haven?? Assuming you also did a match status - did you get to enjoy all of your match status perks on your first MSC cruise?

We are extremely familiar with the Haven - and new ships - so is there anything else that we need to know going from NCL to MSC??

Thanks so much!

Edited by happy cruzin

Electro -

Thanks so much for your insight. We just decided to try the YC and it make us even more excited to try the Seaside in February 2018!

Since we are totally knew to MSC and the YC - we have a couple of questions:

1. With the YC drink package did you have access to the "premium" brands?? Was your YC drink package good at all bars on the ship?? Was there anything that you wish had been included??

2. Our Platinum status with NCL was matched to Black for MSC - which is awesome! When MSC issues account/boarding cards are they based on status (Black) or is there a completely different card for the YC cabins, like the Haven?? Assuming you also did a match status - did you get to enjoy all of your match status perks on your first MSC cruise?

We are extremely familiar with the Haven - and new ships - so is there anything else that we need to know going from NCL to MSC??

Thanks so much!

Premium drinks were not included in the YC.

Outside the YC, we could get drinks in all restaurants and bars, we sign the receipt as usual and it would get zeroed out at night.

All drinks that were included in the allgrissimo (not the Premium) were included.

there was nothing on the card that stated this and no one outside the YC seem to know about it so whenever I asked for a wine that was included in the allgrissimo package the waiter would tell me I didn't have the package and I would have to explain that they were included with the YC and would be removed from my bill.

Hopefully by the time you sail, they will just have a code on your card.

Mini bar in your room is included.

The YC has its own cards like the haven.

We also did the status match, got the dinners in the specialty restaurant, limited menu. Went once for lunch, wouldn't go back.

Got 3 chocolate ships, 2 the first week, one the second, 4 baseball hats, 2 each week, sparkling wine each week, chocolate covered strawberries, and some other treats delivered to our room.

Things different from NCL, you cannot have meals served in your room.

YC restaurant menus change daily, both lunch and dinner.

there are not as many activities during the day.

YC lounge bar stays open until 2 am every day. One of our pet peeves about Haven was that they closed the Haven lounge bar very early, sometimes before 10pm.

Hope this helps.

Lois

Premium drinks were not included in the YC.

Outside the YC, we could get drinks in all restaurants and bars, we sign the receipt as usual and it would get zeroed out at night.

All drinks that were included in the allgrissimo (not the Premium) were included.

there was nothing on the card that stated this and no one outside the YC seem to know about it so whenever I asked for a wine that was included in the allgrissimo package the waiter would tell me I didn't have the package and I would have to explain that they were included with the YC and would be removed from my bill.

Hopefully by the time you sail, they will just have a code on your card.

Mini bar in your room is included.

The YC has its own cards like the haven.

We also did the status match, got the dinners in the specialty restaurant, limited menu. Went once for lunch, wouldn't go back.

Got 3 chocolate ships, 2 the first week, one the second, 4 baseball hats, 2 each week, sparkling wine each week, chocolate covered strawberries, and some other treats delivered to our room.

Things different from NCL, you cannot have meals served in your room.

YC restaurant menus change daily, both lunch and dinner.

there are not as many activities during the day.

YC lounge bar stays open until 2 am every day. One of our pet peeves about Haven was that they closed the Haven lounge bar very early, sometimes before 10pm.

Hope this helps.

Lois

Thanks so much - this does help!

So now for the cruise.

First up, Yacht Club.

Cabins:

Lois

Fabulous review. Do you have any photos of the second cabin 16035?

Fabulous review. Do you have any photos of the second cabin 16035?

sorry, I did't take any photos of the rooms. It is significantly larger than the first cabin we were in.

Lois