Drinks Package - Radience

Hi everyone

Just interested to hear some thoughts on getting the drinks package.

- Firstly can you buy on board and is it the same price?

- I read that you can only buy drinks up to the value of $12 - does this include most drinks?

It's a lot of $ for 2 people on a 14 days cruise so just trying to work out if its worth it - I would have 2 coffees a day, juice at breakfast, bottled water and sparking water with meals, cocktail before dinner, 2 glasses of wine with dinner and maybe a drink afterwards at a show etc - would I get my money's worth?

Many thanks in advance

We used the drink package 3 of the last 4 cruises - and I doubt we will cruise in the future without one. All of the bartenders we encountered (2x on Freedom and 1x on Enchantment) remembered us quickly and would have drinks ready for us almost before we made it to the bar. (Sometimes in front of others.)

It really depends on how much time you'll be spending ON the ship (or Coco Cay or Labadee.) If you'll be off on excursions - its a little harder to make the package "worth it."

We will not cruise without one, with them being on "sale " before sailing for $43-$48 (not including 18% gratuity because you'll pay that either way)

But on a sea day we start with a latte or maybe a mimosa at brunch $5. 4-6 bottles of water $10, 2 sodas $5, a few drinks by the pool $12 each so $24. A pre dinner cocktail $12, dinner drink $12, cappuccino at dessert, cocktail after dinner at a lounge or show $12. That's $80. Some times there's a few drinks at that show or late night hot tub trip.

Port day (non RC "island" Labadee/coco cay) latte at breakfast, grab a few bottles of water before getting off, we usually don't drink in port so may grab a cocktail when we get back on, then evening routine is usually the same so still about the same $ each day.

So if we each save $35 a day that's $290 a person we save each week. I'm on vacation I'm not counting my drinks and I love getting to try new drinks and new wines, and not having a bill at the end.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

WE have had it last 4 and also next cruise, even though we are also diamond and it a suite so we can drink in lounge for free. Package covers almost everything , I drink many different drinks in a week and only thing not covered were scotch's over 12 year old and some higher end wine by the glass and even if you did find a 15 dollar glass of wine you wanted you then just pay 3 dollars plus tip

Yes...unless you want some super-pricey booze, most everything will be covered. If you're having a "mixed drink", there's little point to something too pricey...you can't taste it in the mix!

It is not just the taste...super-pricey booze as you put it is often much smoother and less harsh than inexpensive liquor and the pricier alternative most definitely makes a difference in a mixed drink IMO. Just ask any any martini drinker!!!:D

It is not just the taste...super-pricey booze as you put it is often much smoother and less harsh than inexpensive liquor and the pricier alternative most definitely makes a difference in a mixed drink IMO. Just ask any any martini drinker!!!:D

All the top shelf Martini's we had were covered wither Gin or Vodka, we like Bombay saphire

All the top shelf Martini's we had were covered wither Gin or Vodka, we like Bombay saphire

Good to know! I can only hope that Ketel One and Belvedere might be covered as well...I am a vodka girl! :D

Good to know! I can only hope that Ketel One and Belvedere might be covered as well...I am a vodka girl! :D

I have Grey Goose and Belvedere last trip using the package

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes, both these vodkas are covered. They consider their WELL vodka Stoli so you will get top shelf vodkas on the package for sure.

For the Vodka lovers .... have you tried Tito's? And what do you think of it?

I usually will drink whatever 'decent' brand is on hand ... I don't want 'rot gut' super cheap/harsh yucky vodka ... but I'm not super hung up on a specific brand. But I have a friend who would only ever order Grey Goose ... or maybe Kettle One ... and he usually brought me a bottle of one or the other whenever we saw each other on special occasions. Then a few years ago on my birthday he brought me a bottle of Tito's and I was confused (had I lost favor? lol) ... and then I tried it and loved it and read about it and the awards it had won ... at that time, apparently it was the 'new' thing in small batch, handmade vodkas. Now that they are growing, I don't know if anything has changed/lessened in quality, etc. but the last Tito's Bloody Mary I had was as yummy as ever! ;)

Edited by Cro_and_Swan

Hi everyone

Just interested to hear some thoughts on getting the drinks package.

- Firstly can you buy on board and is it the same price?

- I read that you can only buy drinks up to the value of $12 - does this include most drinks?

It's a lot of $ for 2 people on a 14 days cruise so just trying to work out if its worth it - I would have 2 coffees a day, juice at breakfast, bottled water and sparking water with meals, cocktail before dinner, 2 glasses of wine with dinner and maybe a drink afterwards at a show etc - would I get my money's worth?

Many thanks in advance

Assuming that you are aware of the "free" drinks included with your cruise include coffee (not specialty), juice such as orange juice from concentrate (not fresh squeezed), Apple, tomato, etc., tap water (not bottled). Also, punch/lemonade/flavored water, hot tea, iced tea, white and chocolate milk, hot chocolate.

... cocktail before dinner, 2 glasses of wine with dinner and maybe a drink afterwards at a show etc - would I get my money's worth?

For us, the issue was with having to buy the 'full' alcohol package for both people for every day of the cruise ... and we decided it wasn't worth it. We didn't do any 'research' ahead of time (and didn't know about any possible discounts or specials for early purchase) and just knew at the terminal that the alcohol package was around $48 per person per day and that it had to be purchased for all days of the cruise and it was mandatory that both purchase if one purchased.

However, I can see both sides of things ... if you would honestly have at least the drinks you've mentioned (and possibly more some days) then the math adds up ... 4 drinks x $10-$12 = $40-$48 per day ... so you may as well go with the package. (of course drink prices differ but 'on average' ... )

However, for us at least, the consideration was whether we would TRULY drink that many drinks each and every day. I waffled back and forth so much ... we aren't young party animal types ... but we do enjoy a few drinks when we go out usually ... and wine/beer at home some evenings ...

In hindsight, I know I would have enjoyed having more drinks by the pool or a glass of wine in the Thermal Spa each day ... and a couple of glasses of wine at dinner instead of limiting myself to one glass. And if we'd had the package we probably would have drank more each evening ... at the comedy shows, in the night club, or just on deck or on our balcony ...

But then again, would we have eventually gotten tired of it? Were we better off NOT ending up having more 'hard partying' nights and waking up feeling crappy? In the long run, NOT having the package was probably an okay choice for us at least economically ... but for 'next time' we'll know to watch for specials and discounts and MAYBE will add it.

We opted instead for the $8.50/day per person soft drink package. We carried on two bottles of wine, and each purchased a FEW mixed drinks or glasses of wine a few times, but nothing near 8 drinks a day, everyday. On port days, we drank rum drinks in Grand Cayman and margaritas in Cozumel off the ship.

I would have been just fine with the 'free' non-alcoholic drinks ... coffee, tea, lemonade, water (and the fruit flavored sugar-water) ... but my travel partner is a Diet Coke-a-holic, so the $8.50/day soft drink package was well worthwhile for him.

Edited by Cro_and_Swan

For us, the issue was with having to buy the 'full' alcohol package for both people for every day of the cruise ... and we decided it wasn't worth it. We didn't do any 'research' ahead of time (and didn't know about any possible discounts or specials for early purchase) and just knew at the terminal that the alcohol package was around $48 per person per day and that it had to be purchased for all days of the cruise and it was mandatory that both purchase if one purchased.

Just so you are aware, on RC it is not necessary for both cabin members to purchase a package. You could purchase different packages, or just one package for the person that intends to use it, for example in your case the soda drinker.

Just so you are aware, on RC it is not necessary for both cabin members to purchase a package. You could purchase different packages, or just one package for the person that intends to use it, for example in your case the soda drinker.

Hmm ... thanks GranD ... I'll have to check into this further before 'next' time .... (not being argumentative, just additional info in case my earlier post was confusing) I knew we could get different non-alcohol packages (or one of us opt not to get a soda package) if one of us wanted soda and the other did not ... I tried to suggest to my travel partner that I not get the package ... but he thought it would be better to get me the soda package 'just in case' and since he was paying, I didn't press the issue ... but where I'm confused is with the packages that include alcohol.

Where my confusion comes in ... and I may have misunderstood something ... but I thought when were were discussing it in the terminal, the staff member indicated that if one of us got any alcohol package, that we BOTH had to. Such as I couldn't get a package to get wine and mixed drinks while he 'only' got the soda package. Is this not the case? (seriously asking, not being snippy :) )

Edited by Cro_and_Swan

Where my confusion comes in ... and I may have misunderstood something ... but I thought when were were discussing it in the terminal, the staff member indicated that if one of us got any alcohol package, that we BOTH had to. Such as I couldn't get a package to get wine and mixed drinks while he 'only' got the soda package. Is this not the case? (seriously asking, not being snippy :) )

I think they used to this when the alcohol first packages came out .... but one person can definitely get the alcohol package, and the other get nothing.

Edited by DeadPhish

I think they used to this when the alcohol first packages came out .... but one person can definitely get the alcohol package, and the other get nothing.

Very cool! Thank you (& GranD) for the info ... I just searched and found a blog post from Jan 2016 about the change. My own fault for not researching it pre-cruise, but I was mainly leaving all the arrangement to the friend who invited me along ... oh well ... next time ...

Very cool! Thank you (& GranD) for the info ... I just searched and found a blog post from Jan 2016 about the change. My own fault for not researching it pre-cruise, but I was mainly leaving all the arrangement to the friend who invited me along ... oh well ... next time ...

Always pays to double check, as it differs from cruise line to cruise line! Plus the rules change all the time! Also assume you know you can bring two bottles of wine, no corkage fee, on RC.

Enjoy your next cruise!