Acapulco Feedback From Current Explorer Pax

Saildude16

Didn't realize the crew ships were back in Acapulco. They had stopped going for sometime because of the violence and crime. Sad to see a tourist destination ruined by something so unnecessary.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I'm sorry for those who didn't go into Acapulco from the Explorer today, though at least you were able to see the spectacular harbor and bay and the dramatic sail away.

For us, Acapulco was one of the highlights of the cruise. After a photo stop, the Regent excursion bus dropped us off for 4 1/2 hours at the beautiful Pierre Mundo Imperiale Hotel (formerly the Pierre Marques, where as a ten year old I went with my father 50 years ago). Three swimming pools with chaises and umbrellas plus a private beach area; after some time relaxing in the sun with a book and IPad (free excellent wifi), we walked along the very wide and long beach and took a dip, then went for a swim in the refreshing pool--about 80 degrees and much nicer on a hot day than the ship's pool, which tends to be closer to 90 when its hot outside There was even a Starbucks to get your frappuccino fix...

We had each received coupons for two non-alcoholic and two alcoholic beverages each (we had Palomas,and Margaritas) and an excellent buffet lunch (chips with salsa and guacamole, ceviche of all types, gazpacho, salads and jalapeños for the brave, freshly made soft and crispy tacos with beef, chicken or pork and toppings, just grilled steak, fish, chicken and pork plus grilled and steamed vegetables, fresh fruit and dessert). Very friendly service from all hotel staff.

We also found well-priced items at the hotel shops, as the peso is very weak now. Or we could have skipped the rest and played a round of golf instead at the nearby Princess Course.

For those concerned with security, parts of Chicago and even L.A. are far more dangerous. There were armed state police patrolling the perimeter of the hotel and helmeted federales at the ship dock.

We're watching the last view of Acapulco and the adjacent coastline now, from the Infinity Pool. Mmmmmmmm.

Edited by JPR

I'm sorry for those who didn't go into Acapulco from the Explorer today, though at least you were able to see the spectacular harbor and bay and the dramatic sail away.

For us, Acapulco was one of the highlights of the cruise. After a photo stop, the Regent excursion bus dropped us off for 4 1/2 hours at the beautiful Pierre Mundo Imperiale Hotel (formerly the Pierre Marques, where as a ten year old I went with my father 50 years ago). Three swimming pools with chaises and umbrellas plus a private beach area; after some time relaxing in the sun with a book and IPad (free excellent wifi), we walked along the very wide and long beach and took a dip, then went for a swim. Even a Starbucks to get your frappuccino fix...

We had each received coupons for two non-alcoholic and two alcoholic beverages each (we had Palomas,and Margaritas) and an excellent buffet lunch (chips with salsa and guacamole, ceviche of all types, gazpacho, salads and jalapeños for the brave, freshly made soft and crispy tacos with beef, chicken or pork and toppings, grilled steak, fish, chicken and pork plus grilled and steamed vegetables, fresh fruit and dessert).

We did this tour (paid) when on "O", nothing like what you said above. Stopping at the Hotel was a rest stop only. Guess that can change my mind this time around.

Two large Regent excursion buses, one of them full the other mostly full, went to the Pierre Marques.

We saw other packed buses going to see the cliff divers and shopping.

Edited by JPR

We have gone to the Imperial as well on another cruise line. As you mentioned it is wonderful. We took a private car there and spent the afternoon shall I say drinking and having a fantastic lunch.

We have been there many times and never felt unsafe. Talk about unsafe, just look what happened in our neck of the woods Ft. Lauderdale. I am glad you enjoyed the property and reminisced about your previous stays there. Look at it this way, you had a great time while the scared peeps stayed onboard.

We had an absolutely terrific day in Acapulco as well. We took the tour that started with the cliff divers, went to the historic Los Flomigos(sp?) hotel, on to the peace chapel, a silver shop, a quick stop at the fort and then back to the ship. Our tour guide Alijandro was informative and fun and very accommodating. We were a group of 10 and everyone thoroughly enjoyed the first three stops. None of us were really interested in the shopping so we left early, skipped the fort and were all happy to get back to the ship for lunch.

Acapulco really is a beautiful spot and we felt very safe and well taken care of. I have always wanted to see the cliff divers so that was a great highlight.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

We had a nice day too yesterday. We did the walking tour, which started with a tour of the fort near to where the ship is docked. We then walked to a "flea market", a group of tourist shops in a not so nice looking neighborhood plaza (with a police substation). I should note, the police presence was remarkable. Our guide told us they bring in the federal police when cruise ships are in port. As a group, we then walked to the main downtown plaza, where we left the tour to attend mass at the Cathedral. It was a Sunday and town was filled with locals enjoying the weekend. We felt very safe walking back to the ship on our own.

Sent from my iPad using Forums