Motion Sickness ideas?

CPriest2013

This is my second cruise but my husband's first. He has issues with motion sickness. When I went last time the only times I really noticed the motion were when I was in the shower and when we hit the very edges of a hurricane. He's much more sensitive though. Would Dramamine work or is there something more effective I could look into for him? I really want us to be able to enjoy the cruise. It's our belated (5 years later!) honeymoon.

I would ask my doctor or pharmacy about any motion "sickness" medicine. You don't want him taking any kind of medicine, then sleeping the whole cruise away. If he's that sensitive with motion, I hope the cruise doesn't disagree with him and you can have a great time. If its rough seas at first, its the worst. My DIL got sick at the dropping of the lines in Ft Lauderdale last month, and she stayed in the cabin until noon the next day.

My choice is Bonine once a day and a second one a day if I feel too much motion. I travelled the drake passage with 30 feet swells on a scopamine patch and a Bonine booster just fine. So if you just take one tablet and up the dosage if you feel motion you should do fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Agree with the others....we always take Bonine (meclizine) once a day. It does the trick AND does NOT make you sleepy. For immediate relief if we are on a small boat or it is exceptionally rough, we have ginger chew candies with us....spicy but works right away!

Bonine works fantastic without any sleepiness. My husband suffers pretty intense motion sickness as soon as the ship leaves port but has no issue when he takes it. Our travel agent tiped us off to this product and said it's used by divers too.

good luck and hope you find it as helpful.

I had motion sickness on my first cruise. I throw up.

2nd cruise weather was nice. 3rd cruise ship was rocky and I can feel it. Even after I come back I can feel myself rocking.

But no more motion sickness.

Try to take alot more cruise and your body will get use to it.

I went to the front and back of the ship and I can really feel it. So avoid booking in that area and dont go high.

Edited by chong67

IMO, seasick medications tend to make you sleepy. When rough seas are predicted, we take 1/4-1/2 of a Bonine. In rare instances we have to take a second 1/4-1/2 (if the seas become rough). We have not been seasick in years using this method.

First I check this site:

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/?atlc

If all looks good I start Bonine the day before cruise but if high seas 2 days before and stop taking it after one or two days at sea if ok. But you said he has issues with motion sickness. If he can not ride rides at the amusement park I would check with your Doctor. Also stay busy after you start your cruise to keep his mind off of it.

Ginger pills work great.

Mythbusters did a seasickness episode where they tested various non-pharmaceutical remedies, a placebo, and an over-the-counter pharmaceutical drug and found that ginger pills were a plausible remedy. The pharmaceutical drug worked as well, but made them loopy.

This is my second cruise but my husband's first. He has issues with motion sickness. When I went last time the only times I really noticed the motion were when I was in the shower and when we hit the very edges of a hurricane. He's much more sensitive though. Would Dramamine work or is there something more effective I could look into for him? I really want us to be able to enjoy the cruise. It's our belated (5 years later!) honeymoon.

To summarize popular suggestions:

• Ginger - pills/capsules, candy, gum, drinks with real ginger; may affect blood sugar levels
  • Bonnie (Meclizine) - makes me and others very drowsy, alcohol and other medications can promote drowsiness, contraindicated for several common medical conditions
  • Patch (Scopolamine) - alcohol is contraindicated, tends to make many drowsy, requires prescription
  • Sea-Band - proper placement is critical
  • Reliefband - electronic wrist band
  • Green apples, fresh air, looking at the horizon

If you have any medical issues and/or take prescription medication I would recommend discussing options with "family doctor". Pharmacist may also provide useful advice.

Edited by broberts

I suffer from motion sickness to point that I can't ride as passenger in car. Have taken 40 cruises and for last 15 years, I swear by ginger capsules (2 3x/day). Supplement with sea bands as needed in very rough seas. Absolutely no issues since I began that regimen.

Sent from my iPad using Forums