disbaled facilites

Cagent

Despite booking 15 months in advance we are unable to get a wheelchair accessible cabin on the RCCL Explorer of the Seas for my wife. As many cruise lines only have shower over bath we need to know if the regular balcony cabins on the Explorer of the seas have these type of showers or if they have walk in showers?

if the latter we need to cancel our booking before the penalty time kicks in.

Can any one help out with info on this please?

Despite booking 15 months in advance we are unable to get a wheelchair accessible cabin on the RCCL Explorer of the Seas for my wife. As many cruise lines only have shower over bath we need to know if the regular balcony cabins on the Explorer of the seas have these type of showers or if they have walk in showers?

if the latter we need to cancel our booking before the penalty time kicks in.

Can any one help out with info on this please?

No bath in regular balcony cabin, sis says, and she just returned.

Only Junior Suites and higher categories have a bath in the bathroom on RCI ships. Standard category staterooms have a circular shaped walk in shower - which is not overly large. Unfortunately accessible staterooms are limited in number and it may not be uncommon for them to book early as a result.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

I suggest you find "special interest cruising" on the main page of this website, and click on "disability". Other posters may help you with exact answers, like if there is a step in the bathroom, or how to order a chair to sit in the shower, if needed.

I am surprised that shower over bath is easier - or maybe I misunderstood? I thought it's difficult to climb into a bathtub, but maybe it depends on the type of disability? For myself, I always prefer a walk-in shower.

I suggest you find "special interest cruising" on the main page of this website, and click on "disability". Other posters may help you with exact answers, like if there is a step in the bathroom, or how to order a chair to sit in the shower, if needed.

I am surprised that shower over bath is easier - or maybe I misunderstood? I thought it's difficult to climb into a bathtub, but maybe it depends on the type of disability? For myself, I always prefer a walk-in shower.

The bathtubs on RCI ships have a fairly high wall which requires a definite step-over to enter. The base of the tub is also raised off floor level a few inches which can compromise head room for taller individuals. And BTW there is no step in the RCI bathrooms in our experience, but there is a slight door threshold to be careful not to trip over.

But your suggestion to look at the disabled cruisers board is a good one - here is the link:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=190

Edited by leaveitallbehind

On RCI, on JS's and above have tub/shower combos. All other cabins have showers ONLY..but they are not "roll-in"...there is a lip! And, a step INTO the bathroom. If you are unable to walk at all, you MUST have an HC cabin. If none are available, don't book that particular cruise!

On RCI, on JS's and above have tub/shower combos. All other cabins have showers ONLY..but they are not "roll-in"...there is a lip! And, a step INTO the bathroom. If you are unable to walk at all, you MUST have an HC cabin. If none are available, don't book that particular cruise!

To clarify, the "step" into the bathroom is not a step up to a raised level, but a small step over a door threshold on the floor at the entrance to the bathroom, as indicated in my prior post.

Cagent, are you currently waitlisted for an accessible stateroom? That would be my recommendation in case one opens up. It looks like you are on the Explorer's 4/22/18 sailing, which had one accessible oceanview stateroom available. Cat I #2328 is 276 s.f.. I called RCI about this and someone had just placed that stateroom on hold. The rep advised that if the cabin is not booked, or the hold drops off in 24 hrs., that it is possible for you to obtain it. She recommended getting on a waitlist for a handicapped stateroom. And (if you are okay with an Oceanview), perhaps it is best to waitlist for a particular category, a Cat I in this case. I hope this helps!