NCL Gem first timer Carnival comparison

Alh1978

Hi we have only sailed twice on Carnival and are considering the NCL Gem 7 day from NY. We are traveling with two young children so I am interested in opinions on doing NCL vs Carnival. I know carnival had pizza and ice cream readily available at all hours. What about the Gem, as far as pizza and ice cream? Also isn't room service a charge? We would do a suite if that matters...

Also, any feedback on the kids clubs? Does anyone think kids would enjoy Carnival more?

Thanks for any input!!

You will enjoy feeestyle cruising. Eat when you want.

As a suites guest, your butler (or the night butler) is available 24/7 for that late night snack. And no room service charges. Now,,,, if you were to order from a specialty restaurant off an a la carte menu, that restaurant charge would apply.

Make sure your butler knows what kind of afternoon snacks to leave. Us "big kids" still like a good PB&J sandwich in the afternoon along with a full bowl of M&Ms and Gummy Bears.

Edited by BirdTravels

The ice cream is in the buffet so it will be available most hours the buffet is open (not sure if it starts around lunch time and exactly how late it is around). They have pizza in there and the taste/quality was average at best. Room service pizza was hit or miss. The miss was way under cooked. Interesting to see some of the pizza types they come up with like pizza with corn on it.

The ice cream is in the buffet so it will be available most hours the buffet is open (not sure if it starts around lunch time and exactly how late it is around). They have pizza in there and the taste/quality was average at best. Room service pizza was hit or miss. The miss was way under cooked. Interesting to see some of the pizza types they come up with like pizza with corn on it.

Ice cream is also available as dessert item in all the restaurants. We also loved crepes in the buffet, available from 5-9pm.

The MDR food and service on the Gem is appalling. Carnival is much better. We like the Gem as a ship, like the itineraries, like that it leaves from NYC, it's mostly all good apart from the MDR, so we factor in the cost of a SDP for the duration and consider it part of the base fare.

NCL MDRs are so bad it must be deliberate corporate policy to get passengers into the "pay" restaurants.

We, too, have sailed Carnival twice, the last time in 2014. I have found that both line are very much alike, but with some differences. The primary reason we cruise NCL is freestyle. You can eat anywhere you want, and just about anytime you want. It is very similar to ATD, but NCL has it perfected.

NCL does have a different vibe to its' ships, part of the freestyle concept. Mind you, not all ships are alike on NCL any more than CCL.

With this in mind, I can't give you any answer on the kids programs, although I have read they are well liked.

We are not fussy eaters, so I don't find the MDR's on either line appalling.

I will say this, I like the Pearl, and the Jewel more than the Gem, but that is my humble opinion.:)

Hi we have only sailed twice on Carnival and are considering the NCL Gem 7 day from NY. We are traveling with two young children so I am interested in opinions on doing NCL vs Carnival. I know carnival had pizza and ice cream readily available at all hours. What about the Gem, as far as pizza and ice cream? Also isn't room service a charge? We would do a suite if that matters...

Also, any feedback on the kids clubs? Does anyone think kids would enjoy Carnival more?

Thanks for any input!!

The Gem is a lovely ship and the kids will love the food. The buffet has Pizza and Ice Cream; however, during the day, by the pool, there is always quick fun foods for the kids like hamburgers and hot dogs.

The kids club is a hit or miss depending on their ages. My son didn't like being confined when he was younger because I had to sign him in and out, he liked the freedom of doing it himself. When he was older, he never went in, he set up his own crew outside. However, I went on the Holiday cruise 2 years ago and he signed up for the Teenage Club and made great friends. He was in and out, mostly out; however, he enjoyed the staff.

The Nickelodeon Characters are no longer on board, and I have seen the change in the program.

Hope you give it a try. Great ship, many options and worth it!